Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Truck build as requested by Sid

Member #:524
    Well I still working on the bathroom but its getting there.
    I gutted the complete shower and hug up all new backerboard and tile. The original shower had tile with a 1 1/2 inch thick cement bed on all 4 walls, floor, and curb, the bathroom floor was the same. That was the hard work. Well some have been asking me me about it so heres some pics. I still have a lot of work to do.

Anyway I had a little time recently some I decided I would smooth my front bumper. Its an aftermarket bumper from LMC Trucks. There are many ways to do this but this is just the route I took.
    First I started off by grinding the head off the bolts.

Then I made some plates and tap them to weld on the inside of the bumper. Why? Because I wanted to spread the load when I torqued down the nut once installed. I have seen dimples on smooth bumpers when the bolts are. I think spreading the load will stop this.

I then install the bolts and screwed the plates down tight for welding.

Then I flip the bumper over and grinded the head as low as I could before touching the surrounding metal. I then used a hand file to shape the bolt with the contour of the bumper.

I then welded the bolt and used a hand file to smooth the weld.

Also doing it this way I also need to make a minor modification to the bumper bracket I will post pics when I get a chance.
    Last edited by BAM55; 12-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Member #:115
    Bam, I don't understand what you're trying to do with the plates. I don't see how they spread the load when the head of the bolt is welded to the bumper anyhow. If you had welded the bolts to the square plates, then the plates to the bumper it would help spread the load. But to me welding the square stub of the bolt to the bumper defeats the purpose.

I know you said there's a lot of ways to do this....I did it differently and I think it essentially eliminates the possibility of distortion from the bolt head.

Here's a couple pics showing what I did. I made brackets that capture the heads of the bolts, and use them to clamp the bumper to the braces. This is the same way the aftermarket smoothies are done.

20110126_0377.jpg20110126_0380.jpg20110131_0398.jpg20110221_0465.jpg20110213_0436.jpg
    Last edited by chevynut; 10-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

First the square in from the bolt will not fit through the holes on the plates, second bolts are screws through the plates. The plates basically act as a flat nut which is weld to the bumper. Most people do the same thing with washers they would weld a washer to the bolt and the bumper. I just chose to tap a flat piece and weld. I always done it this way and never had an issue with over time seeing the dimples where the bolts are. Thats all just a creature of habit
    Last edited by BAM55; 10-26-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Member #:115
    Hope it works for you, and you say it has before.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Banned

Member #:1708
    Bam you are a true Hot Rodder ! Thanks for sharing your pics.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper55 View Post
    Bam you are a true Hot Rodder ! Thanks for sharing your pics.
    Thank you Sir, I really appreciate the compliment.

I wish I had more to share but I have to finish that honey do list the wife has for me.lol

More smoothing seams.

Member #:777
    Comment on your LOOKING GOOD shower, the concrete that was there was "floated" concrete which is much better then backer board if it's done correctly. However it did need to come down for the remodel.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Comment on your LOOKING GOOD shower, the concrete that was there was "floated" concrete which is much better then backer board if it's done correctly. However it did need to come down for the remodel.
    Yeah that concrete lasted for over 60 years so there is not doubt those guys built stuff to last back then. Let me tell you digging it out was a bigger job than putting things back together. Man I had no help with demo or construction and I'm really glad to be done. The wife is happy so I get to play with some cars until the next list is handed to me. Here are some pics of the finished product. I know this is a car site but anyway.

Last edited by BAM55; 01-25-2014 at 08:35 AM.

Member #:436
    Damn Bam the bathroom look's killer. I like what you'er doing to the jam's been doin some of the same with the GMC.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast