Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Truck build as requested by Sid

Member #:524

My Truck build as requested by Sid

I have been talking to Sid off and on for a while now and he requested that I start this build thread. He feels it could be helpful to others. I don't know.lol But if the little I know can be of help to other rodders out there here you go. I'm copying these pics from another site so some things may be out of sequence.lol

Here is what I started with.
    1958 Chevy Big Window I only bought it for the cab. I bought it from a guy that kept it
    in a trailer park.

So I’ll start with the frame I install a Mustang II, 4 link and c-notched the rear of the frame.

I made a frame rotisserie out of two engine stands to get the frame ready for paint.

Last edited by BAM55; 04-03-2013 at 02:46 PM.

8.5 Chevy Rearend Narrowed to 58 inches (mounting point to mounting point) with moser housing ends and axles.

4 Link install.

I had to modify the caliper bracket and the axles retainer to install my disc brakes. Here is what I came up with.

The rearend completed . I cut those micky mouse ears off the rearend to make it clear the bed floor and it also looks better.

There was extensive rust damage on this cab but I wanted a big window cab and I had to have it.lol I should have waited because I ended up building a cab.lol I had to replace both cab corners, the steps and rockers, floors, and the roof.
    Cab corners replaced

Steps replaced

Floor replaced

Roof replaced.

Door Repair

58 Fender repair

Last edited by BAM55; 04-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.

After all this work I knew what I really wanted was a 55-56 truck. I have a 55 210 and I always wanted twins.lol

I decided to change the front clip to a 55. How it came about was a friend challenged me to fix some terrible 55 fenders and they came out nice so I said why not.
    55 Fenders

The truck will be running a 2003 5.3 and 40L60E transmission
    The motor mounts I fab up.

Last edited by BAM55; 04-03-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Okay now for the custom mods I added which are.

55 Chevy car dash

Shaved parking lights

Shaved drip rails

Smooth the vent cover

Shaved gas filler

Shaved firewall

3rd brake light

Rounded door corners

Rounded front and rear bed corners

Last edited by BAM55; 05-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Mini tubs

Shaved door hands and bearclaws latches installed in reverse because I want the solenoid in the cab corner instead of at the bottom of the door.

47-55 1st Series Chevy Truck Battery access door.

Pancaked the hood.

Smoothing the Steps

A couple of mock up pics.

Installed the No Limit Flip Hood Kit

Anyway guys here is the boring stuff I've been working on but you said you wanted pics. I had to add some round tubing to the front the door to get it right. I think it will look decent once I grind down the welds and make it flow on the edge. Man the door fitment on these things leaves much to be desired.

I thought since I rounded the doors in the front and shaved the drip rails I mightest well go all the way and round the rear of the doors.

I welded up the seam in this area. I then used Duraglass over the welds to smooth everything out.

Last edited by BAM55; 04-04-2013 at 11:19 AM.

A little primer and I like it much better than that unfinished look that came from the factory.

Its getting there I guess I'll keep chipping away at it inch by inch.

This was my first time using this product, a buddy of mine told me to try it. I decided to try it on my dash to fill some minor imperfections. I could have used high build primer, but I wanted a reason to try this stuff. It sprayed great really smooth. I had to use a 2.2 tip that's how thick it is, but most of it will end up on the floor after block sanding, but man it's a great product. I liked it so much I did the roof also.

I had to redo my c-notch because once I got it to ride height I notice some interference. So I decided to just redo the whole thing.

Last edited by BAM55; 04-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.

You can never have enough good fenders. I had a mess up fender laying around and a new repoped fender that someone gave me. The repop fender fitment was horrible so I decided to use it as a patch panel. I have a passenger fender that I already primed but when I checked the fitment I like the mess up fender a little better. So I decided to fix the fender and use which ever one I like the best when I put the truck back together. Or I just used it as an excuse to weld something together.lol

This is what is left of a new fender that I used for patch panels because the fitment was so bad. I used the rear for another fender for a buddy. It still has some use so I will not throw it out. It still has a good brace, eyebrow, and front and top panel. Somebody may need a piece of it so I will keep it. I know too many hotrodders to throw it out. I don't know about the other new fenders, but the fitment for this one was garbage.

Here is the fender after metal finishing.

Fenders in primer, still needs to be blocked but they are coming along.

I got the sectioned hood in primer. It was a lot of hammer and dolly work but here it is.
    Oh yeah I had to make a brace for the sectioned hood. I made it out of 1 inch wide and 1/4 thick flat stock. Making it flow with the radius of the side of the hood took some thought but it came out decent.

Well I decided to start getting the rear fenders ready for primer. I wanted to use these for the truck because they were giving to me by a buddy who bought new ones and he has passed away (He knew they were rough but did not want to throw them away). So I wanted something of his on the truck, so I went to through the trouble of saving them. My question is do you know what evils lives under your primer.
    Bondo, bondo, bondo.

This is what was under all that bondo

This is what I had to cut away. Yikes

Yeah thats another fender in that background covered in bondo also.lol

I had some front fenders that I've been gutting that provided the majority of the patch panel. A little tweaking and they worked fine. That little rust spot that was left I just formed my hand.

I used a 3/32 2% ceriated tungsten and 1/16 filler rod and tried to keep the smallest HAZ I could. Tig sheetmetal is great you can see how low the bead profile is and some of the metal finishing I started. Man you can hammer and dolly that HAZ to your hearts desire.

And here it is, almost ready for primer a little more welding and hammer and dolly work to do and very little filler will be needed now.lol

Over this years these trucks were really used and used hard.lol Man this fender has dents and digs all alone the top area. I used a big red marker to color in the top which I will block sand to see the highs and lows.

Weapons of choice

I also made this slapper and find it does a great job.

On the back side you must choose a dolly that is very close to the contour of the sheet metal.
    Last edited by BAM55; 04-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast