Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: 56 chevy with hydraulic assist steering

allprobuilder

56 chevy with hydraulic assist steering

I have a 56 chevy townsman with a front clip from another vehicle that has hydraulic assist steering. The original steering box hits the headers and I understand I can acquire the new 500 box does anyone know if this will marry to the hydraulic assist steering booster?

Member #:115
    What do you mean by "booster"? Are you talking about the PS pump?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:226
    Think the 500 box is a little bigger than the 605 box--not sure though. The 500 box is bigger than the 56 Chevy stocker. Your unknown is the clip/box you are using....so don't know how to compare your clip's box with the 500 box. Your lines to the box you are using from the power steering pump can usually be used or modified to adapt. Sometimes you will need a restrictor to lessen pressure to another box, but that too, is do-able. The 500 box has to be moved into the stock frame a little--usually a hammer will do it. Could you solve your problem with this method --just a little "massage" to your clip's frame rail?

Another way out of clearance issues is to make a one off header for your application. If your present powder box is otherwise satisfactory (power steer fine, box lines up with column,etc.), this might be a better way to go.

Member #:522
    We had the CPP 500 gearbox installed on our 56 Bel Air. CLICK HERE to view photos

My web site: www.freedomcruisin.com
    1956 Bel Air 4-Door Hardtop (Sport Sedan)
    1968 Ford Mustang Coupe