Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas Gauge Problems

Member #:115
    Next I removed the port where the float is at in the tank. I moved the float toward the bottom, gauge went to empty, pulled it to top went to full.
    So how come it worked okay when you did this? What specifically did you do to accomplish the above? If you could move the sender float and make the gauge work before, there's nothing wrong with the gauge. How did you determine the wire from the gauge to the sender is not broken?

Something doesn't make any sense in what you're doing.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:1753
    We live in Greenville, Illinois [50 mile east of St. Louis, Mo. on rt 70
    I did not move the sender float today. As I said I removed the carpet and back seat to trace the brown wire down. There are no breaks or marks on the wire. I pulled the intrument cluster to gain access to the back of the gauge. The wire nut was not real tight so I tightened it. I turned the key on the needle was at full. I switched the ignition off, gauge stayed at full. I put wrench on nut holding brown wire needle went to empty. Repeated several times. When ignition is on needle goes to full. When I shut off ignition it stays at full but when I put wrench on brown wire nut again it goes to empty. I checked ground at sending unit to frame. I checked the harness that has the tail lights, nothing loose there.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I assume you are talking about the connection at the gauge. Sounds like it has a connection problem internally there.

Just replace the gauge. They usually don't go bad so I wouldn't have a problem with a used one. There are instrument clusters cheap on Ebay, craigslist, and at swap meets. Or try the classified at one of the other tri5 sites.

Rick, if it was the gauge, how did he get it to work with the float out of the tank? I still haven't heard a good explanation of what he specifically did to make that work correctly. I personally wouldn't replace anything until I found the problem...that's just me.

Here's what you said before:

"When the tank is empty, you are at low/no resistance on the sender. When the tank is full, you are at the sender's maximum resistance (30 ohms). If your gauge shows over full, it's pegged, and that's because you've lost your ground connection between the tank and body, and the resistance is much greater than the sending unit's 30 ohms."

So since his gauge goes past full, if what you say above is correct, the gauge is seeing an open.

I would GROUND the wire at the sender, and if that didn't work I would GROUND the sender side of the gauge. If neither of those actions make the gauge go to empty with the key on, the gauge is likely bad.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Cnut, the only thing I'm going on is what the current symptoms are, which seem to have changed.

One thing not addressed. Gene, you said you inspected the wire from the tank to the gauge. But how do you know it doesn't have an internal break in it without disturbing the insulation?

Registered Member

So, you are saying ground the hot side of the sender?

Registered Member

Rick, I don't know that for sure but the wire looks new with no kinks or bends. I used a tester at the tank, grounded to body.

Registered Member

[QUOTE]So, you are saying ground the hot side of the sender?[ /QUOTE]

No way.

Since the gauge will move, it apparently has +12V power.

Seems to me it's time to try some new things.

1. Get a roll of wire and temporarily connect a ground from the tank directly to the battery negative post.
    2. Same roll of wire, connect from the sender to the gauge.
    3. Get a used gauge and try that.

Again, this is what I would do....

1. remove the wire from the sender and connect it to ground...a good ground. Turn on the key. If the gauge goes to empty, the problem is the sender. If it doesn't go to empty....

2. connect a jumper wire from the SENDER side of the gauge to a good ground (you don't have to remove the sender wire). Turn on the key. If the gauge goes to empty, the problem is the wire between the gauge and sender. If it doesn't go to empty...

The problem is your gauge. It is open internally.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Gas gauge is not working again! I installed new float. Gauge worked. I filled gas tank up. Gauge does not return to left [empty] when iginition is off. Do you have to remove steering to remove instrument cluster??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12