Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Gauge Problems

Registered Member

Member #:1753
    We live in Greenville, Illinois [50 mile east of St. Louis, Mo. on rt 70

Red face Gas Gauge Problems

My wife and I were coming home from a car show. I stopped to gas up. The pump failed to shut off spilling gas all over my car. I cleaned it up and got home. The gas gauge was buried. When I shut the ignition off the gauge went right passed the full line. I checked all the wire connections, everything indicated okay. Next I removed the port where the float is at in the tank. I moved the float toward the bottom, gauge went to empty, pulled it to top went to full. I closed everything up and turned on key needle was passed full line returned to full. I shut off ignition and needle went back passed full again instead of returning to empty as it should. The float is less than1 year old, the fuel gauge was installed in 09. I have removed the seats and carpet to check all wiring and found nothing. Any ideas?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Gene, welcome to the site.

It's a small world, I spent my early life living in Greenville. Moved from there 50 years ago when I was early in high school.

On to your problem. I think you have a ground problem. Your ground was ok when you did your test and everything checked out. If your float was a problem it would show empty or near empty all the time (float doesn't float). When the tank is empty, you are at low/no resistance on the sender. When the tank is full, you are at the sender's maximum resistance (30 ohms). If your gauge shows over full, it's pegged, and that's because you've lost your ground connection between the tank and body, and the resistance is much greater than the sending unit's 30 ohms. I would suggest running a wire from one of the screw heads on the sending unit to the body. That way you don't have to rely on the tank itself grounding to the body. In fact I think there was originally a factory ground wire there (though it may not be there any more). Worst case, as a check, run a wire from the sending unit all the way to the negative post of the battery.

Member #:115
    Good catch Rick.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

There is a ground wire from the float to the body. I cleaned the connection, nothing. I ran a wire from the float to the ground on the battery. Still nothing. I double checked all the connections at the tank and at the instrument panel. Still goes past the full line when ignition is off and returns to full when the ignition is on. ??????

Member #:230
    I bookmarked this information might be worth a try.

FUEL GAUGE Checklist with Ignition 'ON'.

Gauge pegs itself to the right, above full, some possibilities are:

Brown wire is off back of gauge.
    Poor connection at underdash to tail lamp harness plug.
    Brown wire is broken between gauge and sending unit.
    Brown wire is off of the sending unit.
    Bad tank to body ground.
    Sending unit is bad.
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

I suppose it is possible that the sending unit wire (brown wire) has an intermittent open.

Registered Member

By sending unit I guess you are talking about the float? I traced the wire from the tank thru the trunk and under the carpet to the fuel gauge. I found no breaks or frayed wired. Could the gauge just be bad. The chevy manual says it has to be in the grounding. The float was just removed and reinstalled in a new gas tank about 2 weeks ago, but the fuel gauge problem happened about a week before that. I double checked the ground wire from the float to the frame this morning. Nothing changed.

Registered Member

If the gauge in the instrument cluster is showing over full, that's what it should do if you lose the ground at the tank, or the sending unit wire, or if the sending unit is open. So that means that it's the tank ground, the wire from the unit to the gauge, or the sending unit in the tank.

Member #:115
    Next I removed the port where the float is at in the tank. I moved the float toward the bottom, gauge went to empty, pulled it to top went to full.
    What was different when you did the above, versus when the float (sender) is in the tank? If the gauge works correctly with the sender out of the tank, that should give you a hint as to what is wrong. Was the wire to the gauge still connected to the sender? Did you ground the sender itself?

If it worked like you said above, there is nothing wrong with the float/sender. Like Rick said, your wire from the gauge to the sender is either broken, or the sender isn't grounded.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Went thru the checklist;
    Brown wire is connected to back of gauge.
    Connection to tail light is okay.
    Took out back seat, remioved carpet- no broken wire betwenn gauge and sending unit.
    Sending unit is groundied to body with a seperate wire.
    Sending unit is okay.
    I haven't been able to trace down anything specific. I thought I found it at the gauge. When I touch connection at the back of gauge with a wrench the needle went to empty with ignition off. Turn key on gauge went to full, shut it off gauge stayed at full. When I touch dash behind gauge with wrench I can control gauge. I have not been able to trace a short. Could the post for the brown wire on back of the gauge have lost connection inside? Frustrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast