Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nerd Rods chassis-DIY 1955 2DR Hardtop

Registered Member

Member #:1807

Nerd Rods chassis-DIY 1955 2DR Hardtop

I have finished the completion of my Nerd Rods DIY chassis and things turned out great however I have a few question that I'm hoping to get some help on and Russell at Nerd Rods has some family issue going on and doesnt have time to help at the moment. I'm wondering if anyone can help with this question I sent Russell.... Do you have a drawing that shows (dimensionally)
    the relationship between the body mounts and the centerline of the rear axle and the front spindles? And if you do have those numbers have they been proven to be correct by others that have their bodies installed. I know this question assumes the mounts are located correctly on the chassis but I need to start somewhere. Once I have verified the numbers I will set the body on to make sure things look correct. I have a couple other questions but since this is my first post on this site I'll keep it to a minimum. I'm sure happy to see Chevynut is on this site, this guys work is awesome. Jason

Member #:1653
    Jason those dimensions are in the drawings in the manual - here in the library. The frame checking drawing is 2-15. Pages 36 to 50 on the sites 55 manual (pdf for download) will give you all of the dims for all mounts. As to their correctness, that is what we all go by. All of my chassis are built to those numbers. If you need to chat to get a better idea of what you need, feel free to call. BTW, pics of your progress would be really cool!
    Last edited by NickP; 08-01-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Member #:115
    Hi Jason, glad to see you on the site.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you looking for horizontal dimensions between body mounts and axle centerlines, or vertical?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Horizontal, trying to make sure the tires will land in the correct spot in the wheel well,others have has issues. Does the knuckle set in front of the third member or behind
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Hi Jason, glad to see you on the site.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you looking for horizontal dimensions between body mounts and axle centerlines, or vertical?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ55 View Post
    Horizontal, trying to make sure the tires will land in the correct spot in the wheel well,others have has issues. Does the knuckle set in front of the third member or behind
    I guess I'm confused. Isn't this chassis designed on CAD? If the same set of drawings I referenced were used by the designer to create what you purchased as a kit and apparently welded per his guidelines where is the issue? The batwing locates the rear third member section and the four dogbones in turn locate the knuckles. If your lower rear strut rods are in backwards then you can have an issue but the dogbones set the knuckle. Is your rear section assembled?
    Last edited by NickP; 08-01-2013 at 07:40 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info! I'll try to get some pictures posted, hope I can figure it out
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Jason those dimensions are in the drawings in the manual - here in the library. The frame checking drawing is 2-15. Pages 36 to 50 on the sites 55 manual (pdf for download) will give you all of the dims for all mounts. As to their correctness, that is what we all go by. All of my chassis are built to those numbers. If you need to chat to get a better idea of what you need, feel free to call. BTW, pics of your progress would be really cool!

Registered Member

Yes it assembled and I'm not sure I have any issues but before I go through the struggle of setting the body on I would like to double check any measurements that make good sense. I know that at least one guy had problems and the correction was adjustable dog-bones so I'm trying to avoid this by checking the knuckle relationship with the body mounts. I have a bunch of photos on my wife's Facebook but not sure how to get them over to here.

Thanks for the info! I'll try to get some pictures posted, hope I can figure it out
    Is something not lining up? Somewhere on the chassis, there should be some type of reference mark or set of marks that shows where the front axle CL is or a relationship to it. On GM's tri five chassis there are a set of holes that lie under the upper control arms forming the gage hole centerline. I doubt there is such a reference on your chassis but if there is, the front axle center line is two inches toward the rear and 117" to the rear from that lies the rear axle centerline. Let us help you out on this. Some here know the drawings by heart. I'm unfamiliar with your frame and its design but as a simple reference, from the center line of the lower radiator crossmember it's 13.380" to the front axle centerline. I have the dims on AutoCAD if you need.

Yes it assembled and I'm not sure I have any issues but before I go through the struggle of setting the body on I would like to double check any measurements that make good sense. I know that at least one guy had problems and the correction was adjustable dog-bones so I'm trying to avoid this by checking the knuckle relationship with the body mounts. I have a bunch of photos on my wife's Facebook but not sure how to get them over to here.
    Send me an invite to her FB account. Nick Prime in Forney, TX

Registered Member

I got her working on it, should see it soon
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Send me an invite to her FB account. Nick Prime in Forney, TX

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast