Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do it yourself bed liners

Member #:231

Do it yourself bed liners

Any one here know of any good do it yourself spray on Bed liner or should I just have it rhino lined but its 5-600 that just don't want to spend
    a spray on or roll on is like a $100 just wondering if there any good thanks

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I'm not all that familiar with the product choices, but think about this. If you pay a guy $500-600 for this, first he's putting some money in his pocket. Second he's doing some prep that you could do. Third he has to do some masking that you can do. So he's not spending a lot on materials. He's doing it in an afternoon, including letting it dry enough before you pick it up. The only thing he has going cost wise is what he has to spend on the spray gun and a place to do it, which he spreads out over many jobs.

Member #:115
    I think there are good do-it-yourself bedliners on the market. Some even come with the gun, or you can buy the gun cheap. I think HF sells guns for this pretty cheap. IMO if you get a good urethane product, it should last as long as a professionally applied job if you do the prep right. I helped my son-in-law re-do an MG floor a few years ago, and we painted the bottom of it with bedliner over epoxy primer. It turned out nice, and looked like a professional job. I don't think this is rocket science, and most of what you're paying for is labor as Rick said.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:231
    Yea that's why I asked I was hoping that some one used a specific product or new of any that I should avoid I think I am more than capable to do it my self I thought there product might be better than the do it yourself thanks for the advise guys

Member #:524
    I used the Raptor Liner and I like it just fine. Its my first time using it and its very easy to use and sprays great and was exactly what I was looking for. It dries fairly fast and looks good. It seems to be very durable also but like I said its my first time using it. I bought the 4 bottle kit, it comes with the hardener and the gun. I got mine on ebay.

Member #:777
    Bam, how thick is the Raptor? I ask because the pro applied stuff is a full 1/4"

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Bam, how thick is the Raptor? I ask because the pro applied stuff is a full 1/4"
    Well I only applied two coats because I'm only using it on the bottom of my cab. It may be about 1/8 thick, maybe a little less but you can always apply more coats. Also the closer you are to the panel when you spray the more texture you get and the thicker it will be. So if I sprayed closer and more coats I'm sure I could get it pretty thick. But 1/4 is awfully thick.

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by BAM55 View Post
    Well I only applied two coats because I'm only using it on the bottom of my cab. It may be about 1/8 thick, maybe a little less but you can always apply more coats. Also the closer you are to the panel when you spray the more texture you get and the thicker it will be. So if I sprayed closer and more coats I'm sure I could get it pretty thick. But 1/4 is awfully thick.
    I see. When they do a bed they apply it to 1/4" for durability in a bed.

Member #:611
    Great stuff, "Raptor" liner kit, 4 bottle kit with hardener and a gun. $109.00 TP Tools 1-800-321-9260

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
    Great stuff, "Raptor" liner kit, 4 bottle kit with hardener and a gun. $109.00 TP Tools 1-800-321-9260
    Yeah I think so to. I'm very happy with it. I'm going to use it in my fenders wells also. Its very easy to use. You just add the hardener to the bottle shake it up, put the gun on the bottle and shoot. It does not get any easier than that. They also sale it in tintable form. If you know what color you are painting your ride you can add the color to the tintable raptor liner and shoot it.
    Last edited by BAM55; 09-24-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast