Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Solid Motor Mounts

Member #:1608

Solid Motor Mounts

Since I am moving towards a large stroker SBC, thought of adding solid engine mounts to it. I currently have side mounts on it. Any thoughts from anyone. Car is 95 street driven, but I do keep my foot in it.

Member #:1653
    You will feel every single application of the throttle pedal. What SBC?

Member #:1608
    Looking at a 436 from Milton BADD55 in Georgia

Member #:1653
    My my................................................ .......................... Kool

Member #:755
    I agree with Nick and believe some rubber is needed to damper the movement/vibration between the frame and the engine. In the old days we used to drill a hole through the mount and add a bolt through the rubber to hold things together when we tore the rubber loose. The bolt wasn't over tightened, just touching. I also saw one where a piece of chain was added to hold the engine from twisting when the rubber fails, didn't look to fancy but probably worked. Actually it torques down on the right mount, so that rubber never fails, it's the left side that goes bad after a while.

Member #:115
    I would just use a different type of urethane mount than the stock design, if you're afraid it will break. Look at the ones from Earle Williams.

http://www.williamsclassic.com/#!__products
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1704
    My experience with solid mounts is that engine vibration will loosen every screw on the car. You might look at the Energy Suspension urethane mounts, if they're not too close to the headers.
    1955 2D HT, 1957 2D Sedan, 2004 Z06 Corvette, http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/OL...?sort=3&page=0

Member #:1821
    Quote Originally Posted by warren57 View Post
    I agree with Nick and believe some rubber is needed to damper the movement/vibration between the frame and the engine. In the old days we used to drill a hole through the mount and add a bolt through the rubber to hold things together when we tore the rubber loose. The bolt wasn't over tightened, just touching. I also saw one where a piece of chain was added to hold the engine from twisting when the rubber fails, didn't look to fancy but probably worked. Actually it torques down on the right mount, so that rubber never fails, it's the left side that goes bad after a while.
    Mid to late sixties full size Chevies had a bracket bolted to the exhaust manifold on the driver/left side with a cable that attached to the frame that didn't look to bad. Saved a set for future use... if I can remember where I put 'em.