Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Master cylinder

Member #:2285
    Excellent Info,

Thank you 5Clint7 for the pic & instructions.

Hello All,

I'm about ready to start the Brake project and need a little more advise. My goal for my 56 chevy, running 15"x7" Rally rims, is to upgrade to the dual Master Cylinder with front disc (zero to minimum off-set) brakes. And after a TON!!! of time spent online reading what others have dealt with, i "think" the following will be best for me.
    1.) upgrade to dual MC with resid. valve -- per the advise received earlier in this thread. Thanks again
    2.) Add 79--81 rear Trans Am rotors to the front. Note: i already upgraded the hubs / bearings to 68 Impalla full size a while back.
    3.) Add Large single piston Calipers that use D52 pads. I think this is maybe from a 72 Chevelle or Camaro???
    4.) install matching / correct brake lines and fittings --- per the advise received earlier in this thread.
    5.) Now for my problem..... The 2-pc caliper mounting brackets, which supposedly do not mess with the steering. ANY idea where i can buy just these separately? or of another other model i can use to make my own??
    6.) Lastly, i would love to just be able to purchase this kit from Mgchevyparts ..... BUT the money isn't there at the moment and i happen to have access to most of the other parts needed anyways. Who knows maybe i'll win the lottery and things will be different tomorrow (yeah right)....LOL.

Thanks for taking time to read it.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Ed, just how much $ gap is there? What do you think those brackets are worth?

Do you have some of the parts already?

The brackets are going to be custom.

Rick_L -- I suspected these might be custom brackets, therefore really have no idea what they are worth. I have seen some brackets listed around $75.00 & up range but not the 2-pc style. I did ask vendor but they do NOT sell just the bracket kit.

In my case, a friend owes me (not gonna get my money so may take parts) and he has the calipers /pads / rubber hoses & the rotors are a local pick up, so I have access to all the parts, except brackets. No I do NOT have them already.

I really would prefer to just purchase the kit and move on, but that's 385 + 81 shipping = 466 VS. around 200 + bracket--?

I know it doesn't seem like much $ and it will likely be a big headache......But I'm a single parent with a college kid & Money is tight. In an effort to raise more funds I have some other items for sale locally....maybe the money will surface before a bracket solution does.

Have a good day.

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds56 View Post
    Hello All,

I'm about ready to start the Brake project and need a little more advise. My goal for my 56 chevy, running 15"x7" Rally rims, is to upgrade to the dual Master Cylinder with front disc (zero to minimum off-set) brakes. And after a TON!!! of time spent online reading what others have dealt with, i "think" the following will be best for me.
    1.) upgrade to dual MC with resid. valve -- per the advise received earlier in this thread. Thanks again
    2.) Add 79--81 rear Trans Am rotors to the front. Note: i already upgraded the hubs / bearings to 68 Impalla full size a while back.
    3.) Add Large single piston Calipers that use D52 pads. I think this is maybe from a 72 Chevelle or Camaro???
    4.) install matching / correct brake lines and fittings --- per the advise received earlier in this thread.
    5.) Now for my problem..... The 2-pc caliper mounting brackets, which supposedly do not mess with the steering. ANY idea where i can buy just these separately? or of another other model i can use to make my own??
    6.) Lastly, i would love to just be able to purchase this kit from Mgchevyparts ..... BUT the money isn't there at the moment and i happen to have access to most of the other parts needed anyways. Who knows maybe i'll win the lottery and things will be different tomorrow (yeah right)....LOL.

Thanks for taking time to read it.
    That is the brake set up I recently installed on my 55 the brackets I used came from CCP off Ebay for around $65

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If a person is on a budget like I was 20 years ago, using free 70 Chevelle roters with CCI brackets was the way to go. I don't buy in to the whole zero offset thing as necessary on 55/56.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't buy in to the whole zero offset thing as necessary on 55/56.
    Well you don't buy into lowered cars either, or you would understand the zero offset thing.

It's actually not necessary to go zero offset, but if you don't you have to compensate with wheel offset. The Chevelle rotors move the wheel mounting surfaces out about 7/8" per side.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

royk, if I understand correctly you are trying to mount 70's Chevelle rotors and calipers on your car? I have a pair of adapter brackets I made back in the 70's that I'd give you for the cost of shipping them. They're modified Chevelle brackets and go with some slightly modified steering arms I machined back then to account for the bracket thickness. I have the calipers too if you want them but I sold the original Chevelle/Camaro 2-piece rotors I had. I have no use for them. I'll post pics of the brackets if you want.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Well you can forget about the steering arms. I must have just taken them to the metal scrap place with my last load. It never fails...I keep something for decades, and right when I throw it away I have a use for it or someone else wants it.

If you use my adapters you would have to have the rear bosses on the steering arms milled down 1/4". It doesn't affect the strength of the steering arms and is a simple machining procedure. I suppose if you're good with a grinder that would work too.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    Chevynut I have already installed the disc set up on the front with the 65-68 hubs, 81 trans am rotors, gm calipers, caliper brackets are what I purchased from CCP all it moves the wheel mounting surface out is the difference of the rotor vs the drum stock steering arms. Manual 1" master cylinder with a proportioning valve Works really well

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast