Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Spring pocket kits? (recommendations)

Member #:230

Rear Spring pocket kits? (recommendations)

I recently was involved in a conversation on relocating the rear springs on a 55, the person wanting to do the work was wanting to use Ecklers/CCI http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-re...1955-1957.html and even though i have never done this job i went and recommended who i thought would have a better setup http://williamsclassic.com . Now i may of went and opened my mouth first without doing my research first which could be the case, but upon thinking on this more i thought i would post a question on it and ask (who would you use if you were to do this job) even if it is making your own setup.

I know for once the Ecklers/CCI set up is cheaper then Williams, rare to say the least IMO but on the other hand Williams work is top notch and the items i have bought from him are great quality, anyway what are your thoughts, recommendations??
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Here's the way I think about it.

The Williams kit was the first one and is the one the rest copy or emulate. EW used to sell his kit to Danchuk and CCI but others have no doubt undercut his price to them so he doesn't get the business any more.

On the other hand, these pieces aren't rocket science. The biggest potential problem is quality. So you may have extra cost or trouble to either fit it or return it for a good one.

Member #:1704
    We're installing a pocket kit in my 57 with one piece frame. The CCI kit we bought was supposed to be for a one piece frame. The frame inserts for the front spring eye did not fit the inside of the frame very well. So, we had some thicker boxes made.

When we went to install the bars, we found one of the tubes was bent. It looks like the raw tubing was probably bent and they just cut it and threaded both ends. We could thread the rod ends into it, but couldn't turn it for adjustment as there is no flex in the poly rod ends.

I can't say I would recommend the CCI kit.
    1955 2D HT, 1957 2D Sedan, 2004 Z06 Corvette, http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/OL...?sort=3&page=0

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have to admitt that I dont even remember the brand of kit I bought, It came from a local 55-72 resto parts dealer I have done business with for almost 30 years, like Rick has stated these parts are not that complex. While they did not fit my two piece frame well they worked.

Member #:1653
    I would build my own. In looking at Ecklers kit, in the "application" tab, they do not designat a different part number for a one piece or a two piece frame.
    Last edited by NickP; 01-01-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Here's the way I think about it.

The Williams kit was the first one and is the one the rest copy or emulate. EW used to sell his kit to Danchuk and CCI but others have no doubt undercut his price to them so he doesn't get the business any more.

On the other hand, these pieces aren't rocket science. The biggest potential problem is quality. So you may have extra cost or trouble to either fit it or return it for a good one.
    Who told you Williams was first, Earl? TCI was first 1989.
    I installed TCI they had made a boo boo but since I lived a few miles away got it rectified easily. I would check their pricing

If you're not doing a minitub also I would not bother with the relocation

Member #:1653
    Who told you that TCI was first? For that matter, what does it matter. I did find an interesting article in a 2004 Super Chevy touting that TCI's NEW (not NEW AND IMPROVED) pocket kit was available. http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...e_leaf_spring/ But, as I mentioned "WHAT DOES IT MATTER" - Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to quote Hillary.

Just goes to show you you can't believe what you read on the net, especially from a rag like stupid chevy

Member #:115
    It would not be hard to build your own, but finding the right bushings and cutting out the parts would take some time, especially if you didn't have the proper equipment. If I'm not mistaken, I think I remember that Robert (MP&C) did an article once on his own pocket kit installation.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Most would buy a kit first then copy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast