Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nomad door panel construction

Member #:115
    I mocked up the OEM door handle on the door panel with a bracket I made and double-sided foam tape and it just won't work. It sits a little too low and is just outboard of the seat. The panel will be 3" thick there, below the armrest, and when I pull the handle out it nearly hits the seat. I'm afraid that if we add some foam to the seat bolsters it's going to hit it and eventually cause some wear on either the leather or the handle, or both. The actual location would be just about the same as in my Silverado, but I pull that handle straight up instead of out away from the door.

So I think I'm down to one handle now...at least that was decided for me. I have been in contact with Clayton Machine to try to get some dimensions for their EL-503 handle. They sent me an exploded view, and it's a pretty cool concept...different from any other door handle I've seen. I need to know what the thickness of the part it to be sure it fits where I want to put it. I have two choices on location, one immediately behind the grab bar like on the black panel I posted above, and the other just below the vent window. I will have a vent window motor there (no crank), so I have to be careful where I put the handle.

The other remaining issue is how to solidly attach the lower end of the grab bar to the door when the panel is installed. I think I'm going to make a removable arm rest section so I can get into that area to install a screw. I'm hesitant to make an access hole that can be seen on the panel.

Once I get the final shaping of the aluminum done and the clips installed, I can start pouring foam. I may have to consult with a metal-shaping expert on the final shaping, because I'm having a helluva time with it. I have it close, but not as close as I want it.

I noticed the pic of the black/red panel didn't post right, so I'll try again.

20131130_020.jpg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    I have tried many times to review the Clayton Machine Works website but cant seem to find anything of interest beyond what they show on the Home Page.

Yeah Nick, I get stuck there too. Here's their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/claytonmach...eline?filter=1

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2017
    Laszlo, I was going to ask you to post up some pics of your door panel ideas, but I think Nick has some good interior pics there for studying. There has to be door panels in there someplace..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:1608
    The sound of that 502 running would be music to my ears!

Got my door panels just about ready to pour foam and I was looking at my speaker location so I could cut the hole in the panel, and ran into a snag. I hope this doesn't cause a total re-design , but I failed to recognize that there's a brace in the doors where I want to put my speakers. I saw it there when I was drilling for door panel clips and avoided it, but didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize it would affect my speakers.

I got to looking at pictures of other door panels, and noticed the speakers are further back than where I want mine. It looks like everyone puts them where the access door is. So my options are to move the speakers to the kick panels, which a lot of people do, cut into the brace, or try to re-design my panel somewhat to relocate the speaker. This will cause a lot of rework, but at least I haven't cut the hole in the panel yet.

I don't need to completely recess the speaker but I don't know how deep I need to go. I would like to at least get the magnet into the door to lower the profile because the speakers are 2" topmount dimension and at least 1/2" taller than that overall.

Do any of you know if there would be an issue cutting into the brace or if it would screw something else up like the window track? I may be able to weld a piece into it to reinforce it if needed, but to tell the truth I'm not really sure what it does. I think it just reinforces the hinge area, and it's not like I'd be cutting it completely away. I need to look at it more closely.

Here' the speaker profile. I have them on order but they're not here yet. They are 6 1/2" speakers and the flat mounting hole needs to be 5". Looks like the hole for the magnet would have to be about 3.5-4" diameter.

Polk speaker.jpg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I was looking for the mounting hole pattern for the speakers, but Polk Audio doesn't show it or list it in their owner's manual online or anywhere else I can find. They have instructions in 6 fricking languages, but don't tell you what the hole spacing is. All they give you is "mounting dimensions" which they list as 5". That's the size of the hole for the speaker, not for the mounting screws. I guess I have to wait til they arrive and measure them. Sigh.....

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12