Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BODY LIFT DEVICE

Member #:1653

BODY LIFT DEVICE

A few years back, an A-Frame device was pictured on a website that was built to lift the body of a car from its frame. I have used several different methods in the past 4 decades to do this to include several guys and a case of beer. Many here use engine hoists, overhead cranes, Camper Lifts, forklifts or a combination of all of them. I decided that I needed to build my own device based upon what I could remember - did a design and asked a fellow member to review it for soundness. Based upon his thoughts, I ordered up some tubing and began following my drawings. Today, I managed to get the first of the two units complete. I made it from square tube and as one friend was quoted to say, "Looks like it could support a locomotive". The units may be a bit of overkill, my norm but I think it can be used for other lifting/extraction tasks. I had already built some lifting bars specific to the trifives and can be seen in the picture below.
    My main three criteria were multifunctional, able to lift a complete body (Glass, Doors and Interior) and portable. The unit pictured will go down to five easy to move parts with just a few bolts.

Member #:2017
    Looks good Nick!
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:3
    Hi Nick ,
    Are you going to build to sell Also ??

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

No Sid, way too much work involved - It would be something a Car Club might purchase or a person that in business but the individual and a one time thing - too expensive.

Member #:3
    Hi Nick

Do you have drawings for one ?

Thanks Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Enough to guide me, but not good for consumption just yet.Once I get them completed and get the floor and trunk pan/tubs done on this 57 2 DHT, then I'll spend some time on the drawings, parts list and other items specific to it. I need to test them too. I know the structure will work, I'm concerned about the hardware - winch and things.
    Last edited by NickP; 01-13-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Member #:1608
    Very Nice, Wouldnt expect anything different!

Member #:777
    I take it you are lifting fully assembled bodies? I've never lifted a fully assembled one, if I pull the body it's during a frame off resto so every thing is disassembled/removed and weight has never been much of an issue.

Member #:1761
    Speaking of lifting chevys from there frames for building, Anyone know how much more "extra length" you could get out of the ave. cherry picker crane? We have 50" long mast, would a guy be able to make a mast that goes 80" or even 70" without tipping over the lift? How do you measure for lifts to make sure they are safe? Want to lift a 56 chevy from the rear of car, using a four point lift. Yes I like your crank lift, but don't have the room you do. We work in a narrow driveway, alley. Geo.

Member #:777
    Quote Originally Posted by slowfinger View Post
    Speaking of lifting chevys from there frames for building, Anyone know how much more "extra length" you could get out of the ave. cherry picker crane? We have 50" long mast, would a guy be able to make a mast that goes 80" or even 70" without tipping over the lift? How do you measure for lifts to make sure they are safe? Want to lift a 56 chevy from the rear of car, using a four point lift. Yes I like your crank lift, but don't have the room you do. We work in a narrow driveway, alley. Geo.

You would need to extend the length of your front wheels also. Front wheels should be very close to the same extended length to be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast