Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hydro boost brake boster question

Registered Member

Member #:1946
    Chevynut,
    Is the adapter that you sell what I will need to adapt a hydra boost to my 57. Is everything else something that I can make with materials sourced locally? What do you get for it?

Member #:115
    Tom57, the only thing I sell is the adapter that allows you to bolt the Hydrobooster to your firewall. The adapting of the pushrod to your 55-57 brake pedal is up to you. It's not hard to make everything work and I can show you how I have done it with the stock linkage. Check out my website below. I have two different versions of the adapter.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Am out of town this week. Will look at the website and get with you when I get back.

Registered Member

Will these hydroboost units work with the same system that is powering a 500 series power steering box. Will one pump be OK for both or is something else needed?

Registered Member

Member #:571
    You use the same pump. The high pressure line goes to the hydroboost first, and then to the power steering box (or rack). The return line from the hydroboost tee's into the return line from the box. There is an orifice in the return line fitting on the hydroboost; that fitting is supplied with most h/b units.

Registered Member

I am seeing a lot of these units posted saying from dodge trucks and others. Are they all the same unit or do I need to stay with an Astro Van specifically?

Member #:1608
    What is the pros and cons with a traditional h/b vs the one with electric motor? I remember Cnut had one on his car at one time?

Member #:115
    If I could have used the Bendix Hydroboost I would have done so. It's more readily available and is a proven system that's used in many vehicles today. I have one in my Silverado and I love it. The ABS Power Brake electric booster is fairly expensive, not well supported, and is not used by any OEMs that I know of. My desire was to "hide" my brake system, and not put it inside the car. It ended up under my driver's side inner fenderwell, and the Hydroboost wouldn't fit there because it was too long and my tire would hit it. So I went with the electric system from ABS Power Brake and it solved the problem.

The main difference is that the Hydroboost is powered by the power steering pump. The ABS unit is powered by an electric pump. The electric pump actually compresses brake fluid which is used to drive the booster and uses the same reservoir as the master cylinder. The pump only runs when pressure in the accumulator drops to a certain level, otherwise it's off. It's supposed to supply up to around 25 actuations of the pedal from stored pressure. It's a self-contained system that doesn't depend on anything else on the car but the battery.

I have read several good reports about the ABS Power Brake electric booster in magazines and online. The choice to me depends on whether you have power steering or not, or whether you want to add it. The ABS setup lets you have power brakes without power steering. I like the clean look of the ABS setup even if mounted in full view on the firewall, but you also have to figure out where to put the pump. Both systems work well on engines with low vacuum where the cheaper vacuum booster fails.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1608
    I know there are other issues with remote canister ps reservoirs...does the h/b help with this or can it be more of a problem? My current setup is the P series Saginaw pump, which I do not like. When going to this ProCharger, I will most likely need a remote ps unless a type II pump could work.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I'm not clear on all the pump nomenclature you mentioned, so I won't go there. A hydroboost is fairly sensitive to air bubbles and foaming, so it's not forgiving if you have that type of problem. It's sometimes difficult to bleed the air on a hydroboost. Non-OEM remote tanks often have porting and baffling problems which can be the cause of that kind of stuff. If you need a tank or are building one, it would be good to study how the OEM remote tanks are built.

I have also seen reports that a small p/s cooler will help out. Not sure why some installations are sensitive, but the cooler seems to help some.

A couple of comments on the ABS system with the electric pump. It is an adaptation of the Bosch system used on some Turbo Buick GN cars, and cursed by many owners. Those cars also used hydroboost sometimes. If you mount the electric pump so that it's isolated from the body, that reduces noise a lot. The system seems to work well when it's working.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast