Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: What's the most used tool in your toolbox?

Member #:115

What's the most used tool in your toolbox?

I have to say that the most used tool I have is probably my die grinder. I have several of them, and my favorite ones are the small air-driven 90 degree models. I use Ingersoll-Rand and they give me very good service and aren't that expensive. Models from Harbor Freight are cheaper, and have pretty good life as well.

The die grinder is a very versatile tool. I have 3" cutting wheels for it, in 1/16" and 1/32" thicknesses. The thicker ones are good for grinding, such as smoothing welds, and the thinner ones slice body panels with ease. I use them a lot for body and fabrication work, or for cutting off stubborn bolts, etc. It makes short work of a lot difficult problems. I also have a collection of diamond-cut solid carbide burrs. These things come in really handy for enlarging holes, rounding inside corners, and de-burring cut-off parts. I couldn't have done some of my fab work without these burrs.

Sometimes I use drum sanders with my die grinders. They don't last very long because of the high tool speed, but they come in handy now and then.

I also have one straight die grinder that I use when a 90-degree one just doesn't work. It comes in handy in some places, and accepts the same burrs as the 90 degree model. I don't like to use the straight one with the cut-off wheels because I feel I have much less control with it than with the angled one.

Get a couple of die grinders and put them in your toolbox. You'll wonder what you ever did without them.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:230
    I still am chomping at the bit to use mine, hopefully soon when i get settled in the new place. Oh and of course new shop built
    55 Belair 2dr Sedan 350/350 loving every minute of it.
    56-210 2dr Sedan c4 front/rear suspension, and not sure when the ride will roll.
    Marty

http://www.picturetrail.com/56-210sedan

http://saccc567.com/

Registered Member

Member #:234
    10 years ago , it was probably a 3/8 ratchet , but it's a shop laptop now ; best tool I ever invested in . Be safe....Bob.

Member #:530
    Lately it's been a tape measure and a sharpie pen for marking stuff before cutting, grinding,etc.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Registered Member

Member #:564
    A hammer, or maybe a bigger hammer Actually I probably use my gear wrenches more than anything.
    Rick

Member #:3
    I think one of the best things I have bought is a plasma , great for cutting thin and thick metal without warrping the metal

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I think for me it will always be a 9/16" combination wrench and a flat blade screwdriver. You need them for everything, including painting. Screwdriver to open the paint can, 9/16" to set the regulator. And of course all the usual things.

Member #:615
    Mine has to be my stereo. The first thing I do when I walk in my shop is turn on my music. Then I can start to work.

Member #:226
    Didja ever notice how any tool becomes a hammer when you're under the car tied up, don't have a hammer with you under there, and don't have a helper to get you one?