Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 55-57 Kick panel retainers

Member #:39
    They look good, except you welded them in wrong.

Member #:2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Clint7 View Post
    They look good, except you welded them in wrong.

When you say "wrong", I guess the factory used spot welds, and I used plug welds, not many have the correct machine to duplicate the factory spot welds, so sue me..

If you are referring to positioning in any form, I hardly think so. They went back in the exact same spot and orientation as the originals that came out. The tooling made to duplicate the punched holes was taken from that same factory original.
    Last edited by MP&C; 04-22-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
    When you say "wrong", I guess the factory used spot welds, and I used plug welds, not many have the correct machine to duplicate the factory spot welds, so sue me..

If you are referring to positioning in any form, I hardly think so. They went back in the exact same spot and orientation as the originals that came out. The tooling made to duplicate the punched holes was taken from that same factory original.
    So it would appear that the position/orientation may have been in both directions or, the two unmolested samples I provided were certainly a Friday build. I apologize if I struck a nerve Robert. I meant no harm nor was it my intent to start an arguement or to have you be involved in a law suite.

Member #:115
    This isn't about orientation, guys. It's about design of the part. You can clearly see that in EVERY original use of the part the tab is cut out of the side that goes against the floor. So the '57 orientation Nick posted isn't "wrong", it's just a different design.

You can also see that Robert's is oriented exactly the same as the one in my original 56 floor. Again, it's not "wrong", it's a different design.

So clearly they changed the design slightly from 55 to 56, by adding some holes, and again in 57 by putting the taper on the bottom leg. However, Robert's part will work in any year car if a person isn't totally nitpicky about everything being perfectly as original.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

No nerves struck guys, Clint had suggested I welded it in wrong, and they're in the exact locations of the originals.
    Last edited by MP&C; 04-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I'm thinking that the punched tabs have nothing to do with the kick panel, it simply drops in outboard of the brace, and the brace just keeps it from moving inward.

My guess is the tabs were tooling holes for forming the part. Not sure why that was thought to be necessary though.

Member #:39
    My tabs point up. I guess I just have a different design.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Clint7 View Post
    My tabs point up. I guess I just have a different design.
    Same tab design, the tabs are just bent up like the ones in the pics Nick and I posted.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I'm thinking that the punched tabs have nothing to do with the kick panel, it simply drops in outboard of the brace, and the brace just keeps it from moving inward.

My guess is the tabs were tooling holes for forming the part. Not sure why that was thought to be necessary though.
    Maybe so. All I know is that on the last half dozen trifives (5 @ 55 and one at 57) the pictures I took and showed here were unmolested and the kick panels were held in place by tha backside long section and the two tabs held it from going into the cab. It does look as though there were several designs though. Interesting discussion.

Clint, nice interior. Were yours that way from the factory or did they get bent up when the new parts went in? It appears the ones with the chamfered vertical flange were used on the 55 and 56, looks like the 57 had those details changed slightly to eliminate the "chamfer" cut.

I've always thought along the same lines as Rick discussed, the flange kept the kick panel from going in toward the outer wall, the slight bump up in the tab kept the bottom of the panel against the flange. More of a pain to make them, but less screws needing installation on the assy line. Could also have been a case of leaving them alone if the kick panel stayed where it should, and bend them up if the kick panel needed more restraint. I'll have to look at my BIL's 56 survivor next time I'm over there, I know that's got the original interior in it.
    Last edited by MP&C; 04-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast