Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: Raingear

Registered Member

Member #:625

Raingear

When I built my 55 the Raingear wiper system was the first thing I did inside the car. I have been asked to install one in a done car. this even possible and if so how many hours.

Member #:1653
    T&M I would never quote a time frame regardless of the customer or job - Never. To the question, yes and a while.

Member #:115
    I quote a lot of stuff by the hour. Often, I have to fix damage on customer frames, or do some custom work. I always tell the customer what it's going to cost him even if I run over on estimated hours. I'm getting better at it than I used to be. If I was a customer, I wouldn't pay by the hour for some things, without an estimate or a "not to exceed" price quoted.

Look at it from the customer point of view...he can't just give you a blank check.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:238
    We have a part-time business in which companies outsource projects to us that they don't have the resources to do in-house.
    Due to the nature of the business it's sometimes very tough to calculate, but we always quote an estimate of hours with a "do not exceed without approval" agreement. Sometimes for smaller projects I will quote a flat rate and just eat the overage to get the business and keep the customer happy. I find we get better at it as we go along.

As I've gotten older I've also learned to have a contract/estimate in hand now before I authorize anyone to do work on my cars, house, etc. I find it always makes for a better ending to the project and both sides are usually happier. The last major work I had done on one of my cars had a contract but was open-ended. The work turned out great but I ended up having to project manage it to get it finished and it went way over budget. I have a whole theory on planning/expectations and processes. Both sides usually end up happier when there are written guidelines and expectations.
    1955 Bel-Air Convertible
    1956 150 2 Door Sedan

Registered Member

I solved this problem with a used OEM electric wiper moter I bought at Pate. This car had all the orginal cables etc in good shape.

Not sure what the problem was, but the whole point of the Raingear system is to get the motor off of the firewall.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:571
    It also gets rid of the cables, which can be a problem. Also the bearing for the cable drive at the motor connection can be a problem.

Well of course, Rick, but I think most people choose the Raingear to get rid of the motor on the firewall. That's why I went with it. It's not like we drive our cars in the rain on a daily basis like they did when these cars were new. A lot of guys just go without wipers where it's legal.

Markm, what was the reason your customer wanted the Raingear? For the cost of a rebuilt original motor you can almost pay for a Raingear setup.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Crap non working vacume moter, cables and transmission were in good working order. OEM electric saved them $$$ and got them wipers for those rare times they may need them.

Member #:755
    Installed mine when I had the gage cluster out for painting, steering wheel off, no radio, defroster/heater ducts out for painting and new coil. So, kind of finished car (ha, ha). Still took all day ( 6 - 8 hours) with adjustments.