Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Starting to look for my Project car

Member #:2209

Just Starting to look for my Project car

Not sure if this is the best place to post or not since I don't have a project car yet. I have been doing some research and planning and have a basic outline of the project, but I am still working out the details as well as looking for a vehicle. What I am looking to build is a 57 4 door HT, but may do a post car if I can't find a good HT. I have two boys 11 and 12 that are going to work with me, passing the tradition down from me working with my Dad on his 27 and 34 Fords.

Basic outline is as follows:
    1. Classic Edge clips, thanks to Chevynut for answering a bunch of questions, I am sure there will be a lot more to come.
    2. LS motor with either a 6l80 or T56. Depends on when you ask me if I have a real preference. Looking to find a low mileage engine trans takeout with computer, wiring harness and sensors complete.
    3. Body modifications will include, shaved door handles, mod/smooth front bumper with 57 corvette grill teeth. I would like to remove the wind wings and make one piece front windows. I have seen this done on the post cars and I know the hard top will be more difficult but I think it is possible.
    4. Interior will be buckets in front Cadillac? Still undecided on rear. Custom build center console, and the most radical part is I want to install a 56 dash. I really like the 57 exterior but I like the 56 dash much better.

There are a bunch of more details to work out and I like to have a reasonable plan to start with before getting a project under way, and yes I know the plan will change as the car gets built. I am looking forward to getting advice from the experienced builders out there. I am a decent engineer and fabricator and I think these ideas are within my capability to get finished.

One of the first steps is finding a car to work on, and trying to find the sweet spot between tearing apart a good running driving car and trying to resurrect someone else's rust pile project. As with most people here this project has budget considerations in both time and money. I think I need to find a car that is at least mostly complete as things like all of the little/big trim parts can run up a big tab. I am prepared to do some rust repair but sometimes spending a bit more for a better starting car is less expensive in the long run. Since I am planning on replacing all of the running gear I don't really want to pay for a car that someone has done this already just to take it all out. Of course you can sell some of those items but it never seems that you get as much as you think you should and there is a significant amount of time spent selling those parts.

Here are some cars I found on fleabay as examples, and yes there is always a difference between what they say and what they look like in person but what would you think about these examples and where else are good places to look for project cars. I troll ebay, CL and Hemmings, but seams to be more finished cars rather than projects.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Chevy-S...vip=true&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Chevy-B...vip=true&rt=nc
    Owner says they want $4500 for this one but scary when they admit to lots of rust.
    Thanks for reading my rambling, and I am looking forward to the sage advice

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Not sure what budget you have or were you are located but I know of a very nice solid 56 nomad for sale here local. It is 100% complete except needs a back seat all trim is there. no engine or trans perfect for ls transplant. Can be had in the 15k range. If interested I can give you contact info.
    Rocky

Rocky, thanks for the offer, I am looking for the 4dr HT, the nomads are cool but not what I had in mind for this build. Budget is a moving target better cars that need less work are worth more but I dont want to start cutting up a good paint job to shave the doors or start modifying bumpers that have good chrome. I think I am leaning more in the under 10K project car direction but thanks for the heads up.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Good luck in your search i like 4 dr ht's great to see father & son projects!!
    We will be in your home town in oct in our 65 cutlass
    Rocky
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 07-21-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Here's my take on those Ebay ads. They admit to a lot of rust. That means it's worse than they say, and likely are worth half or less than the asking price. You should be able to buy a fairly nice 4dr sedan for that money or just a little more, not a rust bucket. 4dr hardtops are worth a little more but that's one car I wouldn't want to build from a rust bucket. I think if you are patient you can find a 4dr ht that's a better builder. Keep in mind that some resto parts for a 4dr ht are not repro'd unless they came out recently. Things like the center and rear floor pan braces. So check that out, and if you can't get those pieces, buy a car that either has them intact or has enough left that you can work with it.

Not sure how you'd mod 57 bumpers to do anything. A new grille won't require bumper work. Eliminating the vent window on a ht will be a lot of work to make it nice. Think that through before you commit.

Rick, Thanks for the input, your evaluation was about what my gut told me, but nice to have it validated. I am going to be patient and keep looking for the right car, not just any car. Thanks for the input n the floor pan braces, are there other particular items that I need to be looking at that are not made or more difficult to repair?

Yes i am aware that the vent window elimination is going to be a big challenge to make right but sometimes that is what makes it worthwhile.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    sounds like you have this well thought out. I like the idea of a father-sons project the most, great idea. just another option: might be good to get a driver, will help to keep the young guys interested and motivated. best of luck and fun with whatever you get.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:896
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Member #:115
    Bill, I think he's looking for a project car, not a completed car. Those are some high-dollar cars you linked.

Fladiver, are you looking for a 4-door because you prefer them or because you are wanting a less-expensive project? What's your budget for the car?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

4 door because with a wife and 2 kids I want a car that we will use and drive. The 4 door makes getting in the back seat much easier, my 12 year old is already 5'6 so by the time he is 18 climbing over the front seat may not seem to be as much fun. The less expensive project portion helps but not sure how much that really applies especially since I would prefer a HT, I could save money by going to a post car. Right now the budget is still a consideration and a bit of a moving target, part of the reason i put this post up to determine what I need to spend. I am thinking between 5K to 8K for the car with an overall budget of $40K over a 4 to 5 year build time. If that proves unrealistic then I will have to adjust my expectations.

Right now I can be patient as I will not have a place to work on the car until December, I also tend to be someone that likes to to a bit of research and see what the market is like so I can evaluate what is a good deal or not.

Carl, I have thought about the idea of getting a driver, but then one of the first things to do is take the frame out and put the C4 clips in. Once the car is that far a part it is hard to justify putting it back together not finished. Still a thought and right now I am open to ideas from others with experience.
    Bill, those are nice cars but I am looking for something to work on and I think those are much too nice to do what I want. Part of what I enjoy is the construction and building so I would feel bad about taking someone elses car apart that they worked on so hard.

Thanks guys for all of the feedback I am sure this forum will be a big help for this project.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast