Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interior design feedback

Member #:115

Interior design feedback

Okay, there's over 2500 views of my "pouring foam" thread and only 5 replies, all suggestions about how I should build my panels differently. I am pretty certain that given the shape of my panels, and the difficulty of attaching foam sheets to them, the pour foam is the best way to approach this.

How about giving me some feedback on what you think of my design. The silence has me a little worried about where I'm going with it. I know it's nowhere near stock nor is it "old school" but I wanted a more modern interior in my car to match the overall theme of a modern classic. Any comments? What would you have done differently?

Here's the overall design concept that has evolved slightly over time:

20131123_002.jpg

The upper dash will be padded charcoal leather, and there will be charcoal leather on the top of the side panels with charcoal carpet below. The balance of the side panels will be tan leather. The lower dash will be painted, but I'm not sure if it will be the exterior color, charcoal, or tan. there will be a valence under the dash. The interior guy wants to cover the interior beltline moldings with leather too, but I'm not sold on that just yet. What do you guys think?

As the design evolved, the side panels now look like this:

20140903_220.jpg

The areas above the armrests and below the charcoal are going to be perforated tan leather, to break up the large tan area by introducing a different texture. Two 6.5" speakers are behind the speaker grilles which will probably be stainless. The seating areas of the seats will also be perforated tan leather. I may put a small charcoal accent panel in the seat backs, but that might be too busy.

Here's a pic of the colors, with the charcoal leather and the two choices of tan...not sure which one yet...any input? One is just lighter than the other. The exterior of the car will be something like the orange shown here, with tan/beige or similar on the rear of the car.

20140322_017.jpg20140904_004.jpg

The carpet will be a charcoal wool carpet from a late-model Mercedes. The headliner will be charcoal wool material from the same car. Here's another pic showing the seatbelt material, carpet, and headliner along with the leather. I'm wondering if the carpet and headliner are too dark now. I don't want black, but I don't want "gray" either.

20140904_003.jpg

The cargo area will be completely covered with a removable cover. The top of the cover will be charcoal and tan leather. The lower cargo area under the cover will have charcoal carpet as will the tailgate. I think the tubs will be charcoal leather. Here's the design of the cargo cover and "package tray" area. There are two 6x9 speakers in the top.

CCF09042014_00000.jpg
    As far as construction goes, the side panels are aluminum with two removable sections each. This is done to ensure a "crisp" line between the sections. Here's some pics of the side panels so far, front and rear. I have finished the rear panels since this pic was taken.

20140323_033.jpg 20140323_030.jpg 20140626_018.jpg20140903_217.jpg

The 6.5" front speakers are mounted to the door and the door panels are relieved to accept them. There will be a pair of tweeters in the headliner. Here's what the rear seat area looks like:

20130620_018.jpg

The plywood bases will be cut down to fit by my interior guy when he covers them to match the front buckets.

Tell me what you guys think of the design and colors so far. Thanks!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    I thank it looks great!!!! Nice design work and sketch also. I'm only offended that you put an olds Rocket logo on a Chevy LOL. Just kidding.
    This is only my opinion but one of the things I always liked about a nomad was the back seat folding flat making it a 2 seater of course 4 door wagons do that also so nothing special about that just something I wish to retain. You are not the only nomad builder improving the back seat style and comfort with a custom interior so to each his on. Overall it looks really nice. I like the burnt orange or copper color on the 56 nomads as well. No complaints here.

Rocky

Thanks for the feedback Rocky.

Olds Rocket logo? What's that? You mean the fender bird?

Last edited by chevynut; 09-04-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I guess olds copied chevy those bastar... LOL

Member #:1653
    To me, FWIW, the Tan is too bland and will not blend and flow with your design. JMHO.

I'm thanking with Nick maybe a third color is needed.
    But what ever you decide IMHO the dash and belt line should match however you decide to mix it. If dash is charcoal leather so should be belt line all away around if you want a soft modern feel or more paint and mixed color if you wish to mix old style with new. Many options at this point.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 09-04-2014 at 06:42 PM.

I'm sorry how are you finishing the outside? Semi original with 2 tone and trim or would make a difference in my choice but FYI I dig the perf leather. I did that with perf vinyl in my cutlass seats and door panels and its solid black and works nicely.

Rocky, the exterior will be mostly stock-looking with the stock 2-tone Bel Air paint scheme. It will have all the stock trim and emblems, with the only obvious modification being the smoothie bumpers and different wheels.

I have thought about bringing in the orange into the interior on the dash valence and the top of the console. Thanks for the photoshops, they really help! One of the reasons I had the bottom of the dash charcoal is so it flowed with the top of the door panels. Can you do one with an orange valence? Also, note the little quarter circle on the door....I thought I'd carry the valence into the door panel.

It seems like if I made the beltline trim orange, the TOP of the dash would have to be orange, not the bottom. The way you show it, the colors "cross" at the door jamb. I'm kinda liking the padded charcoal leather dash.

Nick, what would you do differently? I see a lot of cars with all tan interiors, and I though the charcoal and perforated leather would help break that up. We looked at using an orangish leather in the interior but it just didn't work. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Last edited by chevynut; 09-04-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:1608
    If I was going with a modern look, the door panels look killer to me. Not sure about the dash...I guess the padded dash thing just hasn't hit me yet. i can tell you I struggled with my interior colors. I thought about the tan shades with my exterior color, but glad I decided to try and match the exterior. Many compliments from others on that.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast