Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    As Kyle was going through the interior trim pieces the last couple weeks he did find one that had a few pits...

So we got a used replacement from the Stainless Shoppe in Seymour WI. A shame to paint this one 0.

As I was getting the next batch of parts ready for epoxy, Kyle was setting up the bead roller for making the lower baffle of the core support. But looking at the center bead, the Fasti didn't have quite the reach...

I had wanted to make axles for the bead roller dies to fit the English wheel, so today was as good a day as any. This will give Kyle some practice on the South Bend..

And my accomplishments for today...

And as I had a bit of epoxy left over, time to seal the inner door to the door skin.. Both had been primed before assembly...

Definitely want to cover the floor in doing this...

Had enough to do both doors, should keep the rust bugs gone for a long time to come..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Well it was taking a little longer on the English wheel adapter kit than I thought, and since that is on the shop's dime, I thought we'd try something that we could get done a little quicker. So the other machine with plenty of throat was the Lennox, so let's make some dies for it..... Also got in some more block sanding while Kyle was cutting out pieces for the dies.

Pre-stretching the bead areas of the baffle...

Adding the bead, using the backstop...

Laying out the petcock recess. This is about a 1/2" lower than the factory to alleviate the clearance issue..

The tipping and skateboard wheels are used to "trace" the bend line to make any hammering a bit easier to locate the correct "edge".....

Relief trimmed, ready to make the folds....

Robert

Last night we got the recess finished on the baffle plate.

Test fitted...

Media blasted, ready to install....

Then Kyle removed the splash pan so he could clean up the core support prior to welding it in....

We also got started on some blocking of the parts sprayed last week.

Robert

Today the baffle got welded into the core support, here with the plug weld holes drilled.

The modified relief we fabricated shows to be about as low as we could have made it..

Then attention was turned to the rear quarter on the passenger side where we had shaved the lead seam..

We had held off on the tail light opening as we wanted to fit the opening to the light bezels. We had received the reproduction chrome light bezels a couple weeks ago, and gave them a protective layer to keep the chrome nice and shiny..

The light opening seemed all out of sorts, with a bulge protruding out past the corner of the bezel here....

Let the modifications begin!

And we had the opposite problem on the inner side...

The vise grip dent puller and the special hook was used to spread the opening...

A bit better.....

...and the tail light bracket is welded back together.. This mod seemed to make the attaching holes align better as well..

And Kyle continues to finish up the seam and we'll fine tune the opening once more when the welding and planishing is complete.

Robert

Well, it's that time of year again, and the local Arby's Wednesday night car shows are in full swing, so we've changed the shop nights from Mon & Wed to Tues & Thurs so that we'd have Wednesday free to stop by the shows. We plan on taking Brad's Fairlane (the shop's last project) to a couple of the events this year, Arby's is just over a mile away from the shop, so his 4 gallon tank may just make the trip..

This is one of those cars that you'll feel and hear well before you see it, so it should draw a nice crowd

Last night's shop progress had me doing more block sanding, and Kyle continued on the rear quarter seam shave. The top weld is about done (except at the edge), other than final bumping and planishing. The weld through the middle of the mounting bracket was dressed out. The final weld seam that travels over to the gate opening will be addressed once the body is on the rotisserie, the planishing is a bit cumbersome working around a corner, so with the car up on it's side it will make the task a bit easier.

The tail light fits much better but some final tweaking will be done after the gap at the top edge is completed..

Robert

Well since Kyle has the top weld all the way back to the tail light opening, we checked the top crown and found a low spot by the 90* in the weld seam. We had to change the hoop on the Watervliet but since this one fit in the tail light opening so well, this will make short work of raising the low area..

We decided to go ahead and work on the opening a bit more, it was wide in spots as shown here...

Some "friendly" persuasion...

Much better fit....

Robert

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    thanks for sharing Robert.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:115
    Looks great Robert! I did something similar to my 56 taillights and I removed the stupid '56 rubber seals. They always looks like crap on these cars, imo, because they don't stay in right. So they're gone. My bezels don't actually touch the body anywhere, except at the 5 mounting points. They're "floating".

20120325_0024.jpg
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-17-2015 at 12:19 PM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Yeah, we're still working on the gasket/seal issue.

Got a care package in the mail yesterday, we had the hood hinges rebuilt at Wilson's Antique Car Parts....

I had talked to a couple dealers about the reproduction hinges and did not hear good things, they indicated they had replaced a few sets due to the gears jumping teeth from being too loose. A member on one of the forums had recommended Wilson's rebuilding service, and I gotta say, this is top notch work. If you're having hood hinge issues, I highly recommend their services..

Kyle was looking for something else to weld, so on to the dash. Here he's prepping for welding the seam, bumping the panels a bit for better alignment before welding....

Checking across the gap using a 6" rule...

Next on the agenda was to shave the radio holes...

Weld, planish, grind, repeat...

Robert

Member #:115
    Looks like Kyle is really learning some skills from you Robert. I'm curious why you're filling the radio hole. What are your plans for the dash?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast