Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 95 of 102 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:115
    You're rolling right along Robert. Seems like we're close to the same place in these builds, but you might be ahead of me on interior. I glued my rear bumper seal in with some black urethane adhesive that they use to install windshields. I didn't want to chip all the paint and undercoat. I'm actually surprised the factory crimped them.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2017
    Yeah, it had quite a few crimped spots in the old tailpan we took off.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Member #:2442
    Great job on the dash trim. Very nice custom look. Also love how you make your own tools and jigs to get things done.

Thanks!!

I've been remiss in posting an update. We've been doing a bit of block sanding interior parts, and its just hard to make those pictures look like any semblance of progress.

We pulled the front fenders back off, we had mocked them up in order to modify the upper fender mounts at the cowl. They came with some excessively sized holes to allow plenty of adjustment, and we had filled in the factory hole and re-drilled to a normal clearance hole. Here shown after a spray of Organic Green KBC, and the stainless washers we used as shims. Hard to leave those stacked washers after we did the other cleanup in resizing the bracket's mounting hole.

We had some black delrin scraps left over from making the radius arm bushings for Jared's 39, so we put them to use here. Since they had already been drilled, we added an aluminum plug and match drilled the holes to match the bracket. Installed, the black delrin is barely noticeable and makes for a cleaner detail over the stacked washers.

Some of the parts we sprayed while the front fenders were off.

With the core support reinstalled, we started on the installation of the inner fenders.

Since our cowl bracket was all cleaned up now, we needed to address the attaching hardware. This started with 400 grit and worked up to 5000 trizact before hitting the buffer...

https://youtube.com/shorts/nEgXyGHNFto?feature=share

Much better! And so we can finalize the wiring at the back of the car, the tail-light housings had been sprayed in epoxy and we added some catalyzed white to the inner portion for some brighter lights.

.....and the day job has me building anchored support stanchions for some phone lockers and naturally the mounting holes are on the back side for a wall mounting only. What we need are some bolting plates to hold things down as I wasn’t comfortable with rivnuts in the chinesium steel flange on the bottom.

Well, said flange also has a 1/4” upward fold for added strength, so our bolting plate will need a tight reverse bend to offset those but still leave room for press nuts on the end flanges.

So some 1/2” wide female VEE dies were set up opposing each other with just enough offset to make two bends at once.

Shroud added for weather resistance..

Last edited by MP&C; 04-20-2023 at 07:37 AM.
    Robert

Looking good Robert.....you're moving right along. I did a similar thing on my Nomad. After shimming and aligning fenders, I found the fender brackets were way off. So I removed them, welded up the rivet holes, and moved them over. I then aligned them with the bolt holes and plug welded them back on. Then I made custom aluminum shims for each location (top and bottom of fenders) and machined some stainless washers for stainless flat head screws. Still need to polish the screws and washers when I install the fenders.

20070416_354.JPG

20090704_1588.JPG

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Thats about how far off ours were as well. When you have to use fender washers to cover up a hole, it's time to modify..
    Robert

A bit of progress, we got the hinges painted so hopefully we can get the tailgate installed this weekend...

installing more shiny stuff....

We had not pre-drill the holes for the partial spear on the doors when we installed new door skins, so here we mask off the bottom of the door and drill SLOWLY to prevent heat buildup.

Then the fresh holes are touched up with two coats of epoxy primer. Once dry the spears are added..

And our dash clock showed up so we can get that hole filled as well
    Robert

Paint looks awesome Robert. I'm curious why you didn't drill the holes for the spears when it was still in primer.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

To be honest I lost the door spears and only remembered to call Mikey for replacements after it was sent to the paint shop. I expect to find the originals in about 6 months, that’s normally the case. Don’t find what you lost until replacements have shown up.
    Robert

While assembling the door bits, we noticed that the retaining clip for the reproduction lock cylinders did not match the originals, which would leave us with a gaping hole in the back side of the inner door.

So we had media blasted the originals and sent to the Shop at Shorty's for a cerakote finish of gun metal grey. As my luck would have it, the door skins we had installed had some accuracy issues in the lock hole locations.

Aligning the clip to the lock hole would result in a slight misalignment out back... and you know Robert's not having that.

With Cerakote still fresh, some trimming was done so we could use the original clips to fill the hole void, and the new ones would be used to hold the lock cylinder in place as well as the original clip, whose new job has been reduced to filling a slotted opening. Some window sealant will slow any movement of the pretend clip.

And the same effort repeated for the driver's side. Where it wasn't as far off as the other side, our mods were still required.

Mandatory Kramer photo bomb

Adding the pull rod for the door lock....

and the addition of a rubber grommet will help keep rattles down.

Jared applied some Kilmat inside the tailgate and we added more bling..

And we've had a casualty with the Baileigh magnetic brake. The magnet stopped working and some troubleshooting found an open with the coil. Some inspection of the supply wires found an over heat issue. Removing all the epoxy showed it's been warm for awhile....

So it looks like we'll be in search of replacement parts.
    Robert

Page 95 of 102 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast