Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 77 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:3217
    I had my 'chromed housings' rechromed (tail light housings, grill bar, etc) so I also need to replace the lamp sockets in those parts. I've been looking for the best parts to achieve this (and there are many options) but it's not clear which is best or even 'good enough'. If anyone has some experience with some of the replacement socket parts, please jump in and let us know!~

PS. Is it best to do the wiring AFTER upholstery? or before... I'm trying to do mine before doing the upholstery since some side panels (and floor covering) goes in over some of the wiring...?
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 01-06-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Member #:530
    Get all your wiring in before you install the interior. don't forget the cabin light in the headliner...
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:2017
    Wiring before interior. I had to travel for work for three weeks straight, so we dropped off at upholsterer so something could be accomplished while I was out of town. But he is leaving outer carpet loose so we can route wires under the sills. He was going to do headliner so we did get the dome lights wiring done before we dropped it off..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Looks like you're all set Robert. Only other wiring that comes to mind is one for a rear headliner light...just inside above the liftgate...so that when you open the liftgate...the light comes on...
    That would be more of a custom light though...as those weren't in there when made by the factory in the fifties.
    Can't wait to see more pics of this wagon. You've done a fantastic job of documenting the build and sharing it with us all for years now. That is time consuming but I (for one) appreciate that you have kept up with it. Thank you.

Thanks!! We did put a second light fixture in, on the next brace back.. It's another original though, and we have them wired together..

Wagon update, we stopped by Norris Upholstery on Saturday to check on the progress and go over some door panel design ideas. Getting closer!

Back in the shop, Mike and I got the assembly line action going on the hidden bumper brackets. These weld to the back side of the bumpers for hidden fastening and the slot allows for slight adjustment side to side. This idea was shared by Laszlo.

Last edited by MP&C; 01-17-2021 at 09:13 PM.
    Robert

Fantastic progress. The headliner is tight! And your bumper will be nice with that custom mounting setup. Hopefully you have a good chrome shop (anywhere) near you?

We are using a plater up in Philly. The last parts were small enough to mail, these I'll likely do a day trip..

Busy weekend, Norris Upholstery is in the process of getting the door panels done..

We plan on using the original stainless that was used on the door panels but some of the factory "nails" that get folded over were very fatigued and in some cases, gone..

To try and fix these we needed a machine that would weld on new nails, which were originally .06 diameter. Using a dent puller stud welder would require resistance welding, which means heat generated. Not good. We have a local sign shop, A&A MetalWorks, that has a Capacitive Discharge stud welder that does not produce the same type of heat.. He did not have the small studs needed so I picked up some of the type that fits the dent puller. Since a collet was needed, Allen dropped off one of his larger collets and Mike became more fluent on a worn out South Bend this weekend, making a collet so we could do a trial run... Here's a collet for a 1/4-20 stud, our sample...

Mike in action....

Our fabricated collet, borrowing some parts from the sample...

Testing out the welder, we did have to reshape the ends of the studs to have a point, much like the 1/4-20 sample above, but here are the results.. As you can see there is no appreciable heat introduced into the panel, no heat mark, no distortion. A stress test performed using pliers showed the metal would pull inward and the stud still did not release..

Welder in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSq_ZX9V2y8

With our trial run complete and deemed a success, Allen is ordering some 14 gauge pins to fit his machine so we won't need to modify them. The size goes up about .01, from .06 to .074, but they seemed plenty malleable to bend over for trim retention. I'll add, these CD stud welders work on steel, stainless, or aluminum.

Needing to put a fork in our bumper bolt brackets, the inside slots needed cleanup work and the 12" disc sander seemed ideal for doing such. But some clearance was needed on the machine..

All ready for welding..

Lastly, we visited the last known remaining milk truck from the Leonardtown Dairy. It had been sold to a local waterman, who used its refrigeration capability to store crabs and oysters. Needless to say, it wreaked havoc on what remained of the truck, the lower sides had been patched over with galvanized sheet metal long ago. It did give us enough details to capture what we need for lettering/sign painting the Divco, our next shop project.

Robert

The press brakes have been sold, and have left the building...
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Is that a 57 Chevy milk truck.

57 GMC
    Robert

Page 77 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast