Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 87 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: wagon progress

Member #:2017
    Finally back from the latest round of hanging TV's for the day job, We’ve installed three video walls since the end of December, along with other AV equipment. Some we can’t take pictures of, but we’ve included two that we could. So here's some highlights of what we installed and some of the fabrications made in the shop to help out in getting the job done....

Before, a couple of 80" displays

After, a seamless video wall just shy of 24' long... much better suited to this classroom setting..

Our next room gave us a multitude of challenges, the walls here are free standing and we felt they were insufficient for supporting the video wall without deflection. So we opted for an 8020 structure in front of the existing, attached to the floor and the deck above. Next challenge is to anchor the columns to the concrete above with no access due to the 60" Drywall surround encircling the ceiling tiles.. before:

So I came up with a diagonal bracing that would make use of hinges for allowing assembly of the column and brace within the hole we would cut into the ceiling for minimal disturbance (less drywall repairs)

....which in reality was not as easy as it appeared in print....

This video wall is just shy of 16' long and uses 0.9mm pixels.

Some of the fabrications made in the shop, a water fall to help support the abundance of cabling going into the equipment rack....

This was our first time using Cyviz touch panels, which were only available as a table top version. The old touch panel was recess mounted in the wall, so we either leave the old one in place to fill a hole in the wall, fill the hole in the wall with a blank panel, or come up with a wall mount design that Cyviz sorely needs.. One guess as to the option I chose....

Powder coating done locally by The Shop at Shorty’s.
    Here's the video of installing the mount to the touch panel... Funny story, one of the tech reps that showed up from Cyviz swore this wall mount was their product...

He was told, "no, one of my guys made it in his garage".. He didn't believe it...

....and installed...

Last edited by MP&C; 04-18-2022 at 12:07 PM.
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

So...where we had left off on the wagon, more blocking of primer, fabrication/modification of defroster vents, and wiring.. So a test fit of our fuse panel mounting plate (American Autowire) found that along with our parking brake pedal assembly location and the close proximity of the Raingear wiper motor, things were much too snug. So in looking at the room available under the dash, just to the right of the brake pedal looked promising but one of our newly formed defroster tubes interferred... This one hung down too low....

And, in typical domino fashion, the fuse panel mounting plate would not work where it was not intended.

We made a new bracket of 1/8" aluminum, and bent some mounting ears to be able to place it well above the accelerator linkage. We also designed it to use existing hardware to minimize any additional holes through the nicely painted firewall.

Next, the interfering defrost duct was shortened to provide the needed clearance. Side note: Check out the HAZ difference between a TIG tack on tight fitting panels vs. having to add filler on a slight gap...

Fitted before we do the final welding, this shows to leave us sufficient room...

And now for the fun part....

Robert

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Robert I don't know how you sleep with all that going on in your brain, really nice work!!!

Thanks!!

While we're getting prepared for wiring installation, the instrument cluster was dug out of its box to help us see where all the wiring was going. And there it was in all it's billet glory. This will kinda clash with the ribbed stainless trim we're using for the dash insert, so let's look at adding it to our gauge cluster as well...

Where this gauge cluster was designed with a flush fit in mind, we need to be able to hide the cut edge of the ribbed stainless. So the holes were opened up slightly where the gauge could be installed from the front, and the bezel will now hide our cut edges..

The stainless is in a rather raw form, and to give it more pizazz, perhaps some polishing is in order... So we used some Trizact products on the DA, and ended things on the buffer...

Here's how it turned out...

We also have some new indicator lights coming for the high beam and turn signals to get away from the tiny LED's that also scream billet.. The new lights should hopefully be here Saturday where we can get this modification wrapped up this weekend..

Last edited by MP&C; 04-22-2022 at 05:57 AM.
    Robert

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Silly me, I thought restoration was your day job.
    Last edited by markm; 04-22-2022 at 01:05 PM.

Member #:1723
    Robert,
    I really like those indicator lights; my original lights are so dim in daylight that I often miss that they are on. Care to hazard a guess if they might work in an OE 57 cluster?
    Thanks for your innovation and posts!
    Thanks, Doug

They just showed up at the post office so I’ll share a picture tomorrow.

Member #:1723
    Hi Robert,
    Thanks for the dimensions. Next time I have the cluster out (no, don't make me do it again!), I will do some measuring and see if the alpinetech lites could be made to work in an OE 57 cluster. BTW, I didn't see that you had a flasher in the circuit when you connected the turn signal indicator to the battery, and yet it flashed?
    Thanks, Doug

That was the wire being removed from the battery post.

Page 87 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast