Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radiator Information

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    Bluegrass, for what applications do the pumps have them switched? I think most truck pumps are as you and I describe too. Are some of the later models different?
    I guess I should have said the early Camaro is a right side as the later models are left. Honestly I think its either a preference thing, like looking old school or just what maybe looks cleaner in your setup. I'm actually going to pick up my water pump this morning at my local NAPA store. I'm using the Vette setup with Holley Brackets. The strangest part is there is a big difference in the price of the earlier model pump vs the newer and they're pretty much the same pump. With the Vette damper and Holley brackets you can pretty much use anything except the truck pump. I wound up being better off buying a new one ($150) because I have no core. Shipping and all considered NAPA was best deal for me. The attached pictures are from the Holley documents. Incidentally if you look on Holley's website for their LS bracket info there is a ton of info regarding the front accessories which parts work with what and part number info. It helped me greatly. My next hurdle is my power steering pump. The stock ones have a clamped hose provision for the return and I wish to do all AN Hose. I may have to look at some Circle Track sources to find one or perhaps pull the tube and tap the pump. I'm not real familiar with the later model pumps so I'll be spending some quality Google time soon!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Looks like all those pictured have the suction in a similar location, maybe some small differences in the thermostat housing shape.

Isn't the thermostat housing on the suction side as opposed to it being on the pressure side on a traditional V8?

Registered Member

Looks like all those pictured have the suction in a similar location, maybe some small differences in the thermostat housing shape.

Isn't the thermostat housing on the suction side as opposed to it being on the pressure side on a traditional V8?
    Yes the pump inlet or suction sides are very similar. On the outlet or pressure side I'm moving the hose and radiator inlet connection to the right mainly to get away from the power steering area as I'll be running Hydraboost piping in that general area and mounting the tank remotely from the pump.

Registered Member

Oops forgot to answer the T-stat part. Yes they're all on the inlet side of the pump. I've never taken time to read up on why they changed from the outlet. Often with the OEMs it's either just cost reduction from a vendor doing sub assembly for them, or could be emissions reduction if they're hotter quicker somehow at cold start. I'll try to find out as I'm now curious myself.

Member #:115
    Well guys I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the radiator inlets and outlets were reversed for an LS engine, but apparently I was mistaken. I thought the thermostat was still on the outlet side of the engine and on the passenger side. Thanks for correcting my misconceptions.

Here's why they moved the thermostat to the inlet side of the pump:

"GM cars produced since the early '90s typically use 180-degree thermostats (80- to 82-degree C) that are installed on the water inlet side of the water pump from the lower radiator hose. This is because water traveling from the radiator's lower hose is generally at a continuously stable and cooler temperature and does not cause the thermostat's operation to oscillate as frequently.
    Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148...#ixzz3MvJzmqr0
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2401

LS-x Outlets

All on the passenger side, good sir!

Both ECP and Entropy make good direct-fit choices for your car, and the Entropy LS-specific rad has the steam port provision on it.
    Justin Novick
    Support
    Engineered Cooling Products
    "The Best Cooling Guarantee for your American Hot Rod"

(773) 303-8251 - www.SpeedCooling.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12