Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator Information

Registered Member

Member #:2375

Radiator Information

Hello, I'm a new member and I have a 55 Chevy. I have an LS motor in my car and putting a new radiator in my car. My three choices I have ben looking at are the Mattson's Radiator, Performance Rod and Custom, and the Auto Rad. Can anybody tell me there experience with any of these radiators. I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Member #:1546
    I would be interested in the responses also, need to buy one for a big block 620 hp

Member #:115
    I had PRC build me a custom radiator for my Nomad and I think it's a high quality part. Lots of guys have used PRC with great success and they make a "standard" version for a tri5 Chevy. An LS engine takes a special setup with the inlets and outlets reversed so be aware of that. As far as HP, it doesn't really make that much difference what HP you're running if you're not using the power potential a lot of the time imo. It takes just as much HP to drive down the highway with a 600HP BBC as it does with a 300HP SBC and they generate about the same amount of waste heat. The most important thing in getting good radiator performance is the cooling fans. The PRC setup has dual SPAL 11" fans rated at 2750 CFM. I built my own radiator support and it uses dual Derale 12" fans rated at 4000 CFM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I use a Portell Radiator purchased at Lawrence Swap meet with my BBC, they have a website .

geary@portellradiator.com

Member #:896
    After everything is installed then we all judge on looks.
    Lets assume the fans are about all the same,
    the main thing that stands out is the polished look.
    The second most noticed item is the top of the radiator.
    The core support is the third item we notice.
    IMO

PS welcome aboard
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Member #:896
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike56 View Post
    I would be interested in the responses also, need to buy one for a big block 620 hp
    Welcome Mike also

http://www.northernfactory.com/HIGH_...DIATORS/205142
    Last edited by Bihili; 12-23-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    Bill 1957-427-177-6-410

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bihili View Post
    After everything is installed then we all judge on looks.
    Lets assume the fans are about all the same,
    the main thing that stands out is the polished look.
    The second most noticed item is the top of the radiator.
    The core support is the third item we notice.
    IMO
    Unless you can't see ANY of it.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    I can't tell if the radiator in bihili's link has a dress cap. The PRC does. This is a piece of aluminum welded between the tanks, full width of the core, covering the top of the core.

There are lots of ways to mount the radiator and lots of ways to do the radiator support. The simplest and cheapest is the PRC that's made for the stock support. Then at the other end of the spectrum are the PRC with a custom radiator support, and I think Mattson's and AutoRad are custom supports too. PRC had a lot of trouble with their custom supports fitting when they introduced them but I think they are fine now. I have no idea on how the Mattson or AutoRad fit. (It's not easy to make them fit, but on the other hand if you're going to sell them and charge what's charged - they damn sure should.)

Myself, I had PRC make me a custom radiator to fit the stock support that I modified.

Inlets and outlets on an LS engine are NOT reversed, but they are smaller (1.31" diameter) than traditional engines. Radiator inlet is on the driver side, and outlet is on the passenger side.

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    I can't tell if the radiator in bihili's link has a dress cap. The PRC does. This is a piece of aluminum welded between the tanks, full width of the core, covering the top of the core.

There are lots of ways to mount the radiator and lots of ways to do the radiator support. The simplest and cheapest is the PRC that's made for the stock support. Then at the other end of the spectrum are the PRC with a custom radiator support, and I think Mattson's and AutoRad are custom supports too. PRC had a lot of trouble with their custom supports fitting when they introduced them but I think they are fine now. I have no idea on how the Mattson or AutoRad fit. (It's not easy to make them fit, but on the other hand if you're going to sell them and charge what's charged - they damn sure should.)

Myself, I had PRC make me a custom radiator to fit the stock support that I modified.

Inlets and outlets on an LS engine are NOT reversed, but they are smaller (1.31" diameter) than traditional engines. Radiator inlet is on the driver side, and outlet is on the passenger side.
    Depending on which water pump you use the Outlet can be either on the left or right side. Lots of people prefer to use a radiator with the inlet on the right side and use the Corvette or Camaro pump if they're running a stock style intake as the hose then doesn't have to run across the front of the engine in the air inlet area. Personally I think its a cleaner look as well.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Bluegrass, for what applications do the pumps have them switched? I think most truck pumps are as you and I describe too. Are some of the later models different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast