Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Classic Edge Designs, LLC Prime Custom Cars, LLC MadMooks
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HOME DEFENSE

Member #:33
    congrats on the M4. what a shotgun (way out of my price range, I'm cheap), thanks for links.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:2941
    Thanks, Carl! I was really looking through the auction for a particular Smith and Wesson 6-shot revolver but I was outbid on it. It was a 38/44 Heavy Duty (N-frame) with adjustable sights. The pre-war versions made between 1930 and early 1941 with adjustable sights and 6-1/2" barrels were called the 'Outdoorsman' Model......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_.38/44

The one I put a sealed bid on was new, never fired, still in the original S & W box. These are apparently fairly rare collector items now of days, especially in as new condition. Anyway, it went for a lot more than I could afford, so that's just the way things worked out.

I have a well used pre-war 38/44 Heavy Duty with fixed sights for personal carry now and really like it. I have big hands and with the 5" barrel, it has perfect balance and fits my hand like it was made for me. The longer barrel on the Outdoorsman version would make the gun a bit barrel heavy anyway and I don't really need the adjustable sights.

So reckon I'll keep looking and see if I can find another just like the one I have. I'd rather carry a pair of these large frame revolvers than a single semi-auto, anyway.

Its a 3-day auction and after I was notified by E-mail a couple of hours before bidding began on day 1 that my sealed bid was already outbid on the S & W Heavy Duty..... I looked through the listings for something we really need for home defense rather than something I would like to have for additional concealed carry. That can wait. My first duty to family is to protect them.

Well, as luck would have it...... Just a few listings farther down in their online catalogue, I ran across the used Benelli M4. Given the present state of affairs where we live, I thought about what I'd like to have in my hands if home invaders kick down our door(s) at 0-dark thirty in the morning and the M4 fit the bill.

Of course, any time you buy a used firearm, you take a chance and given the present shortage, I figured it would go for more than I was willing to bid, but was pleasantly surprised to be high bidder. Will need to make a few upgrades if I can locate the parts, but it already has a nice adjustable length tactical stock and adjustable fore grip so that will save time and money in the long run.

Best regards,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 04-18-2021 at 03:40 AM. Reason: add link
    'G-d Bless The U.S.A.'...... Lee Greenwood......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_5aoptI5j0

Staff Sergeant Roy Benavidez......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3nncd4sxaM&t=466s

Member #:1653
    I see a few folks here are ammo aware, that's a good thing. What I question is the true preparedness of the typical gun owning homeowner? Of the few respondents here, how many of you actually have a plan respective to points of entry to your domicile? To close, of those that do have a plan, is it just a thought process or is it a practiced routine? How many physically carry their personal weapons every day? Ownership requires action. Now, I realize that the preponderance of the present membership is likely either been in the military or has at least been exposed to an actual scenario requiring immediate attention. Practice. You should be able to maneuver through your home blindfolded - if not, then you are at an disadvantage. If you have a two story home, don't allow it to become a death trap. Build, buy or have some form of escape other than that single set of stairs giving the perpetrators access to YOU. Dogs are a wonderful thing to alert but can be reduced to silence much the same way as you the owner. Practice, Practice, Practice - I can't stress this enough. And, finally - learn what to do post intrusion. Those responding don't know you from a perp. Each state has specific laws and means of response. Owning, requires action.

Wise council, Nick! All are things that must be thought through and put into action. And as you say...... Practice, Practice, Practice!

Best regards,

Harry

It occured to me that the Benelli M4 only holds (7) 12 gauge shells even with the long magazine tube installed. And there is no way you are going to have time to reload it one shell at a time in the middle of a firefight. So thought I would look for a 2nd semi-auto shotgun to keep in our home as a backup piece.

Found a couple reasonably priced Street Sweepers from Rhodesia and South Africa circa early 1980s. Just the thing for making life unpleasant for rioters and home invaders.

Unfortunately, they are classified by the BATFE as a 'Destructive Device' and transferring one Stateside through an FFL is a time consuming and expensive procedure......

NOTE: This Destructive Device is a National Firearms Act (NFA), fully transferable Class 3, which is registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, (BATFE) under the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 and 27 CFR part 478.

I think I'll look at Kalashnikov based 12 gauge magazine fed shotguns that are manufactured here Stateside. And pick up several spare mags for quick reloads. That would be more practical in a prolonged firefight if you have several bad guys armed with semi-auto pistols and high capacity mags slinging lead your way.

Best regards to all,

Harry

Member #:1653
    Ammo for my home defense extended tube 12 ga. is: shorty.jpg
    1-3/4 verses 2-3/4 mine holds 9 and one in the chamber for a total of 10. No
    reloading, lighter.
    Last edited by NickP; 05-13-2021 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks, Nick! Appreciate the info. Will the mini shells cycle a 12 gauge semi-auto? So far, all the literature I have found from both Benelli and Kalashnikov USA indicate the need for high brass buckshot loads and caution against even the 2-3/4" low recoil shells.

The Kalashnikov has a tool that allows a small amount of adjustment for lighter or heavier loads. The Benelli I found is well used and came with no tools, but I will check with the manufacturer and see if there is a way to adjust for lighter loads.

If there is, I will locate a box of mini shells and see if they will work. The Benelli M4 has a magazine tube under the barrel and the loading port is underneath the receiver just forward of the trigger guard. Shells must be loaded one at a time. Easiest to turn it over and load it with the loading port oriented upwards.

The Kalashnikov is magazine fed, so the shorter mini shell might require adding a spacer inside the magazine or something along those lines. Once I have it in hand, I'll be better able to see what must be done to get it to feed properly.

As you may imagine, both firearms and ammo are in short supply around here at present. So far, I have found only 1-1/8 oz. slugs in 2-3/4" length and 00 buck in 3" length Magnum loads locally that are supposed to cycle properly in both shotguns (minimum 1,340 fps muzzle velocity is recommended). The 3" double aught buck has 15 pellets rather than the usual 9 pellets the shorter 2-3/4" 00 buck shells have (a plus) but my bad shoulder isn't going to be very happy if I must go through 2 or more 10-round mags. Small price to pay all things considered, though.

Thanks again,

Harry

Member #:33
    might need an adapter for the mini shells also. u/tube might have something on their use.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Thanks, Carl! That's a good idea. I was thinking I may need to make a spacer from wood and slip it into a Kalashnikov mag either along the front or back wall to allow for the shorter mini shells. But the follower that the shells ride on would need to be shortened as well to allow room for the vertical wooden spacer. And the spring beneath it should probably be shifted front to back a bit so it is centered beneath the shortened follower.

The civilian version of the Kalashnikov shotgun comes with (2) 5-round mags. So I had to purchase several 10-round mags separately. I'm thinking about modifying one of the 5-round mags to see if mini shells will feed smoothly from it.

If not, I may restrict my experimentation with mini shells to the Benelli, as it has a horizontal tube type magazine and as Nick noted, the shorter shells would allow for a couple extra in the tube when fully loaded.

Running mini shells through the magazine fed Kalashnikov would result in no increase in number of rounds, though. Only less recoil if they will cycle through the gun.

It would be an interesting experiment, nonetheless. And if mini shells have the same potential to stop a 300 lb. drug crazed thug charging you at close quarters...... As a single, well placed shot with a more powerful round...... That might be an advantage.

That said, I will stay clear of a lengthy discussion of 'stopping power' here, as its an elusive term and everyone seems to have their own definition of what 'stopping power' means to them. And like most here, I have mine as well.

Best regards,

Harry

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345