Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The final teardown begins

Member #:115

The final teardown begins

Since I have already blocked across the door to fender gaps I figured I might as well start the final teardown to paint. I have removed the hood, fenders, inner fenders, radiator support, splash pan, and bumper. I plan to spray one more coat of primer on the fenders and hood, then they'll be ready for the final sanding and the squirting of the colors.

There's a lot of parts since basically all of this is custom. Pretty much everything has been primed and blocked so the parts are going to storage until I get the body ready. Right now I'm trying to get to a bare frame to get it painted. There's a few things I need/want to do to it before paint, but nothing huge. It's going to be sprayed body color with gloss clear.

It looks kinda like it did a few years ago. LOL!

20150209_003 (1).jpg 20150209_004.jpg 20150209_007.jpg

The front bumper and liftgate are going out for chrome soon....I have to heli-coil some of the liftgate holes first. I plan to leave the rest of the body intact so I can finish the interior construction work. It's gonna get busy.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:532
    Wow, a major milestone about to be reached! I bet you can't wait to see it in paint.

Member #:2017
    There's a lot of us that can't wait to see it in paint And that same sentiment goes both ways I'm quite sure..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes, I'm excited but nervous at the same time. It's a big step and I have to push to get it done.

I really don't have room to remove the body from the frame in my shop right now. I have the gasser frame in there, almost finished, and another C4 conversion frame in the jig. I've decided I'm not going to do any more conversions for a few weeks, until I get my car sorted out and ready for paint. I will have to get the gasser frame out and assembled (probably tomorrow evening) then finish the C4 conversion enough to move it over to the last stall to finish. Then I can move the jig out so I can get the body off the frame, set the body down on stands where it is and move the frame over to one of the other stalls to work on it and get it on the rotisserie.

Once the frame is painted, it's going into the new shop for assembly. I will be polishing the suspension parts, getting them ready for bright anodizing. I'm not going with chrome because it's too damned expensive, and I don't think I want it for a car I plan to drive anyhow. I never wanted strictly a show car. I thought about powder coating, but the bright anodizing looks better imo. There's a lot of pieces to polish, paint, and plate to finish up the frame.

I plan to go through the engine and clean it all up, possibly change out the cam, and change the rings. There should be no major work required, just disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly. Then I'll paint it and drop it back in. I may try to run it before I put the body on, either in the frame or on a dyno.

Doing the disassembly I realized how many small brackets and stuff there really are to this car. I think some of this I'll paint myself, and just let the painter do the big stuff that everyone sees.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    sounds good.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Member #:516
    It's about time!!! Well I'm in and subscribed!!!! Now get off the computer and get to work!!!!

Member #:3
    Wow big steps , bet you can't wait to see it painted ,
    isnt it funny how it is when you build a shop it's never big enought

Sid

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    JMHO painting the frame body color will make it look cheap. Your frame and design is a masterpiece and I would paint it to stand out on it’s on. Maybe use the charcoal you have planned for under the hood. But do as you wish it is your baby after all. I have never built or owned a show car so what do I know.
    Here is an example.
    http://assets.blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2014/06/1955Chevrolet150_05_800.jpg

This is a 56 bronze nomad for sale just down the road from me.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 02-11-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Member #:615
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post

This is a 56 bronze nomad for sale just down the road from me.

Can you let me know more about the Nomad for sale? Any link or more pictures?

Hmmmm, Rocky you have me thinking. Things come and go and I know a few years ago the "in" thing was to paint the frame the body color. I do think it looks nice that way, and my suspension will be all polished. I wouldn't paint the frame the rear beige color, so charcoal would be the only other option. I don't want to introduce another color.

If I go that route, now is the time to decide. I was going to order the orange paint tomorrow, because I need it for the frame.

What do you other guys think? It's a major re-set to my plans, but I would consider it. Thanks for the "jog" Rocky.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast