I started my project about 3 years ago when I found the C4 parts I needed at the Iola car show swap meet. I started thinking about doing a frame several years before that. My wife has a 90 Corvette and after taking some measurements on her Corvette and my 55 it seemed to be something that would work well as the track width is almost identical. My 55 is about 190 pounds heavier than the Corvette so there pretty close. The front to rear weight balance is also very close.
The first step in the project was to set my 55 on blocks at the desired ride height and take a few pictures.
100_1243.jpg 100_1245.jpg
I cut an old tire from the Corvette in half so I could put it in the wheel wells and made cardboard wheels to get an idea what it would look like.

The next step was to build a frame table from 3 x 3 square tube to mount the frame on. I drilled and tapped the top and both sides of all the tubing so I can bolt fixtures in place on the table as needed. Needless to say this took quite a while. I don't have any pictures of just the table but you should be able to see it some of the pictures to follow.

100_1427.jpg 100_1430.jpg100_1440.jpg

I started with mounting the rear end as I figured it would be easier the the front stub. Just some tabs under the frame, a cross member for the upper shock mounts and pinion mount and the dog bones. I still need to figure out how I want to mount the rear sway bar. It doesn't look like it will work above the frame to the rear because of gas tank and body clearance, so I may try putting it forward of the rear end at the bottom of the frame. I still need to check on muffler and exhaust clearance before I decide on that though.

100_1714.jpg 100_1715.jpg100_1716.jpg 100_1719.jpg

Next up was to cut out the original cross member and position the Corvette cross member on axle and chassis center lines and at ride height.

100_1730.jpg 100_1732.jpg100_1747.jpg 100_1745.jpg

The next step was to fabricate the new frame rail sections from 1/8" steel plate.

100_1940 - Copy.jpg100_1941.jpg100_1942.jpg

Here is the radiator saddle cross member welded in place. I made this from four pieces in the same manner as the front frame rail sections.

03-03-15_073.jpg03-03-15_074.jpg

Here is where I'm at now. Bracing plates between the original frame and the new frame rails tacked and plug welded in place. Next up is the transmission cross member / x member. I'll add some more pictures when I get started on that.

Brian.