Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LS oil pan advice needed

Registered Member

Member #:2294

LS oil pan advice needed

I am looking for recomendation of an LS2 oil pan for my 57 two door hardtop. I am will be using the stock frame and steering linkage with S&P engine mounts.
    I ordered an S&P oil pan and was very disappointed with the gasket surface machining and sent it back. I since looked at the Holley pan but cannot get a guarantee from Holley or CPP's customer service that they will work in the TriFive.
    CPP has a Mast pan that they tell me they sold many for Trifive's without any issues. However, it appears that pan does not mate to the bellhousing with the two bolts like the factory pan, not sure if that is an issue or not.
    Can anyone help me out?

Member #:1653
    Have you tried Street and Performance?

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I bought a GM Performance Parts pan from the dealer for a buddy of mine building a 55 with a 500 ps box with a 5.3. It fit well and was affordable

Member #:115
    The issue with many of these pans is that they are too deep and hang below the crossmember. It's not a problem unless your car is lowered. The GMPP pan is pretty cheap, but I understand it's also deep. A customer of mine went with a shallower Camaro pan on his C4 conversion but I don't think it works with the stock steering. I think that's why S&P notches them for that application.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-13-2015 at 08:36 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Have you looked at the Holley pan? That seems to be the best choice for many. It will fit, at least with a stock crossmember and steering linkage.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Have you tried Street and Performance?
    I thank that's what he means by S&P Nick

I thought S&P only mods factory pans, I was unaware they machined any gasket surfaces. My S&P pan is just a modded F-body.

I just installed a Holley pan on a ls2 in a 55 nomad. It will fit depending on how you place your engine. My engine is located with a 1-1/2 space between the firewall and heads. The steering link hits my pan with the factory steering stops about 1/2 inch from full turn lock. I'm planning to install stop pads to limit my turn radius to stop link from reaching the pan. I'm running 255 front tires so this also stops them from hitting the frame also. If you install the engine a little further back you wouldn't have this issue. We had to modify the windage tray to install Holley pickup no big deal. IMHO even the Holley pan could be a little shallower for my liking. In my case the bottom of the pan is about flush with bottom of crossmember maybe slightly above.
    good luck
    Rocky
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 03-13-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Missed it I guess, Getting old sucks
    Last edited by NickP; 03-13-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post

I thought S&P only mods factory pans, I was unaware they machined any gasket surfaces. My S&P pan is just a modded F-body.

I just installed a Holley pan on a ls2 in a 55 nomad. It will fit depending on how you place your engine. My engine is located with a 1-1/2 space between the firewall and heads. The steering link hits my pan with the factory steering stops about 1/2 inch from full turn lock. I'm planning to install stop pads to limit my turn radius to stop link from reaching the pan. I'm running 255 front tires so this also stops them from hitting the frame also. If you install the engine a little further back you wouldn't have this issue. We had to modify the windage tray to install Holley pickup no big deal. IMHO even the Holley pan could be a little shallower for my liking. In my case the bottom of the pan is about flush with bottom of crossmember maybe slightly above.
    good luck
    Rocky

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by NCW View Post
    Looks like Rick is getting old too...

"I since looked at the Holley pan but cannot get a guarantee from Holley or CPP's customer service that they will work in the TriFive. "
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:625
    The GMPP pan fit my buddies car, but I am sure there is more than one way to position engine mounts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast