Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: More interior work done

Registered Member

Member #:141
    When I did my interior I used scrap pieces of the Fat Matt material to build up the low spots in the floor.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by asbicca View Post
    When I did my interior I used scrap pieces of the Fat Matt material to build up the low spots in the floor.
    That's probably not a bad way to do it. The ribs are only about 3/16" deep except under the seat. I saw a YouTube video where a guy put strips of jute in the grooves. The pieces of thin steel seem to be working good. I really don't know if the ribs will show through the carpet but Larry says they will. I may do what you did on the toe boards.

I just found out that Ron is booked up until April 1. The front seats are pretty much independent of anything else, but the rear seat cushions need to be glued up so I can work on the console. Larry has 16 weeks to finish this interior and I just told him I'll be gone 7-8 of those weeks. He gets nothing done when I'm gone.....and not much when I'm here. I've been back from Montana for over a month and he has done almost nothing on it. I asked him over the weekend when he's going to come over this week and finish the headliner, and he hasn't replied. When he left on February 2 he said he'd be back in "two weeks".
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Thanks for the idea...it worked great. 4 layers of sound deadener and the toe board area was pretty much flat. I put aluminum tape over it.

IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_6841.jpeg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

When he came over on 2/2 Larry brought my tailgate cover over and handed it to me to install it. It's his job, but I don't mind doing this stuff....in fact I like doing it. If I waited for him to do it it would take weeks. I made an aluminum panel and he glued carpet to it. Today I notched it for the screws and did a temporary installation. I still have to cut out the access hole area so I marked it for cutting. I'm using new Madmooks stainless trim and his stainless access cover.

IMG_6843.jpeg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

That is exactly what I did. By the way if you are using the square weave European style carpet, it is stiff enough that it really hides any floor variations.

That is exactly what I did. By the way if you are using the square weave European style carpet, it is stiff enough that it really hides any floor variations.
    I don't know what "square weave" is but the carpet is what's on the tailgate in the picture. It's a wool Mercedes carpet and yes it's pretty stiff and not very thick. Again, thanks for the help.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Square Weave Carpet

Here is a picture of the Square Weave Wool Carpet that I used in my wagon. The pictures makes it look more linear than it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got the tailgate done and part of the driver's floor sound deadener down today.

Larry finally texted me and is supposed to come over Friday afternoon to finish the b-pillars that he should have finished last time, the Friday before last. I sent him an e-mail regarding my "priorities" to get the interior done. I told him I'm trying to help him get this done, and he needs to do things so I can help him finish it. I also told him that installing the carpet isn't going to help me do anything else, and might make things worse, so I don't want it done now. He once said that the carpet was close to the last thing to install, so I don't know why he's wanting to do it now.

Once the headliner is finished, if it gets done Friday, I told him I want him to get me a stitch sample to approve before the end of next week, when I leave for Montana, using the right size and color of thread and the right stitch length. How fricking hard is it to set up a machine and make a 6" French seam? Then I want the dash sewn up by the time I return around March 10 and I want it installed it shortly afterward. Once the dash is in I can install the windshield, windshield stainless, all the ducts, A/C and heat controls, glove box, instruments, clock, etc and basically finish up the entire dash.

I also told him I needed the foam put on the rear seat panels so I can match the console to the contour. I said I wanted that done by the time I got back too. He has almost month to do those two things, which should be plenty of time. I don't think it's too much to ask for, and without me telling him what to do he does nothing. I've decide to try driving him instead of letting him coast along like he does. We'll see how it works. If he doesn't do these things, I plan to tell him to just pay me what he owes me and I'll find someone else to do it. At this rate there's no way he's going to finish the interior by June 1.

IMG_6844.jpeg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Here is a picture of the Square Weave Wool Carpet that I used in my wagon. The pictures makes it look more linear than it is.
    That looks really nice. Mine is more of a "plush" carpet. I noticed you basically have one piece per side. Larry told me he was going to make it in 2-3 pieces per side. I don't know why he wants to do it that way. I'd prefer no seam along the rocker so I'm going to push him to do one piece per side since it can obviously be done. How do you mold it? Is it all glued down?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

I cannot answer your question about how the carpet was installed. My Upholsterer did all the work. I dropped it off and it was done a month later.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast