Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: More interior work done

Member #:115
    I don't know how I did it, but when I designed my Polk Audio tweeter mounts I thought I had installed the sun visors to make sure they didn't hit the tweeters. Well, since we're getting ready to install the headliner, I decided to install the tweeters and check again.....they hit! It's possible that I totally forgot about the visors before. So I re-designed the tabs the tweeters mount on and move them back about 1". The visor over-lapped the edge of the tweeter by 1/2". Just another thing I had to do twice.

IMG_5291.jpeg

Larry came over today and we installed the insulation on the roof. I wanted some kind of insulation over the top of the sound deadener to keep the heat down. We put some sort of pad that he uses a lot on it. It's about 1/4-5/16" thick and we put it all the way across the roof.

Larry's going to finish sewing up the headliner and we plan to install it in a few weeks. Then he's going to sew up the leather for the dash and install it so I can install the windshield. I'm heading out on a cruise tomorrow, then we have a big 90th birthday bash for my mom after we get back, then another birthday party for my granddaughter the following week, then we're going back up to Montana for a couple of weeks. So work on the car is slowing down for a while.

IMG_5289.jpeg
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:516
    Those sun visors will look great with your new interior Laszlo!! I like the patina!!
    As usual your perfection is great

Oh and thanks for the PM's about the "Fuzzies"
    Last edited by Troy; 03-24-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Larry and I discussed finishing the wheelwells and he wanted to put carpet on them but I didn't like the idea. I also wanted to put sound deadener on them and he said he couldn't really put leather on them if I did that. So I decided to put deadener on them, and build panels to cover them instead. They will be vertical from the floor all the way up to the top panel that has the speakers and the cargo area cover on it. Today I finished the sound deadener installation. Still have to put some under the rear seat, then we'll put carpet pad/insulation over that.

IMG_5349.jpeg

IMG_5354.jpeg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:141

Covering rear wheel wells

My wheel wells are not widened like yours but they have sound deadner and are covered in leather.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by asbicca View Post
    My wheel wells are not widened like yours but they have sound deadner and are covered in leather.
    Your interior looks great. Larry is one picky sob and he didn't like the wrinkles in my sound deadener. I think it's from rolling it up and letting it sit for years, but it's still sticky as hell so I'm not changing it. I decided to do something more like this in the cargo area....

Tim Helms.jpg

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Well I'm just about to lose it with my interior guy. We agreed on December 6 that he was going to do my interior, but he would not commit to a timeframe. He's building a shop at his house and is the general contractor, so he claims he doesn't have much time to work on my stuff. I told him I couldn't wait 2 years for it and I said in November that wanted it done in 6-8 months. He said it had to be on his time so I just asked him to do regular work on it a few hours a week, so there's measurable, visible progress. I asked him to take my steering wheel and finish it.

A month later I got my steering wheel....probably 2 hours of work.

Time went by and I did some work I needed to do on the car so I didn't push him.

On March 23 (see post above) Larry came over and we installed the roof insulation. He told me he would work on sewing up the headliner so we could get it installed. He also took a pattern off of my dash, which I told him should be the same as any other 55 or 56. He argued that no two are the same....I disagree.

Time went by and his old shop (he sold it and rents part of it for storage) got broken into about early April. He called me and told me about it, and told me he was working on the headliner and would have it done when I got back from Montana in early May.

I returned to CO and after I caught up with things I contacted him on May 10 and told him I was back and ready for the headliner installation. He said he didn't have time to work on it while I was gone due to a bunch of issues with his new shop. I told him my schedule for the next 5 weeks and told him that I would be heading back to Montana around mid-June. He said he'd get the headliner installed before I left.

It's now mid-June and I've heard nothing from him for over a month. Six months and a week have gone by since he came over to discuss the project with me. So far I have a steering wheel and roof insulation. Six goddam months later!

I am just about fed up with this but here's the problem.... I contacted Auto Weave Interiors in Denver and they can't get to my car until January. I contacted Recovery Room Interiors in Nebraska and he is booked until next summer, about a year out. I talked to a guy in Indiana and he said he's 4 months out, but he's also 15 hours from me which I don't like. All of them are $80-85 per hour. If I fire Larry now, nothing will get done for months anyhow. Larry is probably getting close to finishing his new shop in a couple months, but I don't know exactly where he's at on it.

Auto weave said they've done 2 Nomads and one took 230 hours and the other 400 hours. The first one was a modified stock like interior, and the second one was a full custom one like mine with bucket seats, full length console, and even leather covered interior moldings. I asked about calendar days for 400 hours and was told it should be about 12 weeks. Since I've done so much of the work already, I doubt it's anywhere near 400 hours left. 400 hours at their shop rate is $34K, which is about what Larry owes me per my calculations, not including the material I paid for. So I might actually make out better having someone else do it.

And the question is how will he settle with me. I've paid for $8200 in materials and owe him a little for roof insulation, glue, and shipping of leather. He owes me many hours of labor for building his frames. I have documented time spent on his two frames, and cost of materials for them. He owes me a finished interior, no matter how many hours it takes. That was our agreement.

If I let him work at his pace, will my interior be done before I can get the car into another shop? I don't know. Maybe when his shop is finished he will spend more time on it, but as we all know there's a lot to do after a shop is "finished". I'm not sure I want to burn bridges and settle at this point, but I don't want to wait another year for this project to be done either.

The guy at Auto Weave figured out who I was talking about when I told him the problem I was having. Apparently they worked together at some shop years ago, and he said Larry has no concept of time. But he said he does very nice work. I've been trying to get Larry to do something on my car for about two years now. His daughter died of cancer over a year ago, so I backed off any didn't pressure him for months since I still had a lot of work to do myself. But now 90% of the work left is his.

So what do I do?

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    You've essentially PAID him for future work, way before he ever did it... This shows one to NEVER DO THAT because the one who has already been paid doesn't have the goal of achieving payment (since he already has it)... Send him a bill for the frame work you've done and see if that gets him off 'zero'...?

Banned

Member #:2775
    Unless you want to wait another 2-3 years to drive it, just put a couple seats in it and have fun with it for now. I'm on my 3rd season driving my car with no interior except for 2 seats and a little carpet. It's so much fun to drive I don't even care if I ever even put a headliner in it, and people love the car as it is. Since you have never actually driven one of your chassis designs, you might not even like how it drives, handles, shakes, and will need to blow the car apart to change it. I can't imagine why your interior guy doesn't jump all over getting your interior done being the nice guy that you are. Even if I had $30 grand to blow on the interior, that would ruin all the fun of driving it. I spent $2000 including the seats.
    IMG_0220.jpg IMG_1565.jpg
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 06-15-2023 at 02:33 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:2643
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Well I'm just about to lose it with my interior guy. We agreed on December 6 that he was going to do my interior, but he would not commit to a timeframe. He's building a shop at his house and is the general contractor, so he claims he doesn't have much time to work on my stuff. I told him I couldn't wait 2 years for it and I said in November that wanted it done in 6-8 months. He said it had to be on his time so I just asked him to do regular work on it a few hours a week, so there's measurable, visible progress. I asked him to take my steering wheel and finish it.

A month later I got my steering wheel....probably 2 hours of work.

Time went by and I did some work I needed to do on the car so I didn't push him.

On March 23 (see post above) Larry came over and we installed the roof insulation. He told me he would work on sewing up the headliner so we could get it installed. He also took a pattern off of my dash, which I told him should be the same as any other 55 or 56. He argued that no two are the same....I disagree.

Time went by and his old shop (he sold it and rents part of it for storage) got broken into about early April. He called me and told me about it, and told me he was working on the headliner and would have it done when I got back from Montana in early May.

I returned to CO and after I caught up with things I contacted him on May 10 and told him I was back and ready for the headliner installation. He said he didn't have time to work on it while I was gone due to a bunch of issues with his new shop. I told him my schedule for the next 5 weeks and told him that I would be heading back to Montana around mid-June. He said he'd get the headliner installed before I left.

It's now mid-June and I've heard nothing from him for over a month. Six months and a week have gone by since he came over to discuss the project with me. So far I have a steering wheel and roof insulation. Six goddam months later!

I am just about fed up with this but here's the problem.... I contacted Auto Weave Interiors in Denver and they can't get to my car until January. I contacted Recovery Room Interiors in Nebraska and he is booked until next summer, about a year out. I talked to a guy in Indiana and he said he's 4 months out, but he's also 15 hours from me which I don't like. All of them are $80-85 per hour. If I fire Larry now, nothing will get done for months anyhow. Larry is probably getting close to finishing his new shop in a couple months, but I don't know exactly where he's at on it.

Auto weave said they've done 2 Nomads and one took 230 hours and the other 400 hours. The first one was a modified stock like interior, and the second one was a full custom one like mine with bucket seats, full length console, and even leather covered interior moldings. I asked about calendar days for 400 hours and was told it should be about 12 weeks. Since I've done so much of the work already, I doubt it's anywhere near 400 hours left. 400 hours at their shop rate is $34K, which is about what Larry owes me per my calculations, not including the material I paid for. So I might actually make out better having someone else do it.

And the question is how will he settle with me. I've paid for $8200 in materials and owe him a little for roof insulation, glue, and shipping of leather. He owes me many hours of labor for building his frames. I have documented time spent on his two frames, and cost of materials for them. He owes me a finished interior, no matter how many hours it takes. That was our agreement.

If I let him work at his pace, will my interior be done before I can get the car into another shop? I don't know. Maybe when his shop is finished he will spend more time on it, but as we all know there's a lot to do after a shop is "finished". I'm not sure I want to burn bridges and settle at this point, but I don't want to wait another year for this project to be done either.

The guy at Auto Weave figured out who I was talking about when I told him the problem I was having. Apparently they worked together at some shop years ago, and he said Larry has no concept of time. But he said he does very nice work. I've been trying to get Larry to do something on my car for about two years now. His daughter died of cancer over a year ago, so I backed off any didn't pressure him for months since I still had a lot of work to do myself. But now 90% of the work left is his.

So what do I do?
    One option is to hire a lawyer that specializes in contract law, and have him send a demand letter to your interior guy. The letter basically says do the work as promised, or risk getting sued. I came close to doing that with my interior guy recently. My lawyer said that it works most of the time because receiving a letter like that "puts the fear of God in them". The draft letter he sent me to review and approve cited various related case law, it was fairly detailed. He was going to charge me a flat fee of $2,500 for the demand letter and have it delivered by a county sheriff deputy. Fortuantely for me, my interior guy completed the job just before I pulled the trigger.

Another option is to just walk away, and chalk it up as one of life's bumps in the road. Walk away from the frustration and uncertainty, and find another interior shop. If you are seeking one of the best interior shops in the country, look into Interiors By Shannon in Alabama. They did my friend's interior in his '57 Bel Air. Absolutely gorgeous work. That car later sold at Mecum for 235k.
    Last edited by Bitchin'57; 06-15-2023 at 06:54 PM.
    Dave, from the old neighborhood in Jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitchin'57 View Post
    One option is to hire a lawyer that specializes in contract law, and have him send a demand letter to your interior guy. The letter basically says do the work as promised, or risk getting sued.
    I'm not at that point yet. But if I get there I will hire a lawyer if needed.

Another option is to just walk away, and chalk it up as one of life's bumps in the road. Walk away from the frustration and uncertainty, and find another interior shop.
    I'm not walking away from $35K in labor and $9K in materials. I'll sue first if needed.

I talked to my painter and he told me I called the wrong Auto Weave....apparently there's two of them in Denver. He said the guy I talked to is just as bad as my interior guy as far as timeliness. He recommended another guy who he said will do what he says they'll do. These guys do more "street rod" type interiors than custom classic cars like mine. The guy I would really want to do mine is Tracy Weaver at The Recovery Room in Nebraska. He does some incredible work and is a lot closer than Shannon. I have corresponded with Shannon in the past.

I sent Larry a text before I left and expressed my disappointment that he's crapped on me twice since I got back from Montana in early May. He is neck deep in his shop and he asked if anyone could let him into my shop while I'm gone to get the headliner installed. I'm hesitant to do that, not because I don't trust him there, but because I need to show him how my tweeters need to be installed and how I want the area around the seat belt anchor done. I may have to machine a custom spacer for the seatbelt to provide clearance for the anchor to the headliner. Maybe it's not a big issue, but I really don't have a problem with waiting til I get back to CO. I am going to tell him I need a DATE for him to come do it, not "after you get back". I'm going to see if he'll start documenting

My biggest concern is what happens after the headliner. There's a lot of work left after that. He needs to get the dash cover installed, then either the side panels or the seats need done. I need the rear seat cushions done so I can build the rest of the console. It's really work he should be doing but I kinda want to do it so it's done how I want it. Plus I like doing that stuff.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast