Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: More interior work done

Member #:115
    Got feedback from Ron and Gary and they both like this color scheme for the console. So I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going with. Still have some time to tweak it if I want to. I hope the thread color shows the French seams well enough. I'll probably do the decorative stitch below the "spears" just for detail. It will match the dash seam.

56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I just got back from a week at our place in south Texas and I took my stitch samples with me so I could think about what I want to do. I decided to try a lighter colored tan or beige thread that contrasts a little more with the tan leather. I ordered a spool of each and they're being shipped to Ron's shop to arrive Monday. The available colors for T210 thread are very limited so I don't have a lot of choices so I'm down to three. I told Larry back in December that I wanted him to give me some stitch samples so I could decide on thread color. He didn't do anything.

I also told Larry to get the dash leather sewn up and get it down to Ron so he can stitch it up as soon as I decide on the thread color. He said when he was at my shop 3 weeks ago that he would get that done right away...it's still not done. I also told Larry and Ron in an e-mail that I wanted the dash installed by the time I leave for Montana again around the 19th of April. That gave him a week and a half to plan for it. I told Larry yesterday to let me know when he wants to come up to install it. He hasn't said one word about it and I'm betting nothing happens. He hasn't worked on my car in two months now.

Larry took my rear seat boards 3 weeks ago today on March 22. He told me two months ago that he booked the first two weeks in April for Ron to do my seats. He was supposed to put foam on those boards and get them back to me so I could contour the rear console, and then get them to Ron. As far as I know, nothing has been done with the seat boards either and it's mid-April. Both Ron and I are waiting on Larry now.

I have decided that if Larry doesn't at least deliver the dash leather to Ron by the end of next week I'm done messing around with him. I've set and moved time limits far too long. He told me in August that getting the car done by June 1 would "not be a problem". I know he knew I meant 2024 . I was encouraged when he came up and we discussed the clearancing of the rear seat boards and getting the dash done back on February 22. Seven weeks later nothing more is done.

If he gets the leather to Ron and Ron gets it stitched up, I want it installed within a week after I return from Montana. I have been advised by my friend Gary to at least go that far with him, because that will allow me to install the windshield and get the entire under-dash put together and the front end on. It's unlikely I could get anyone else to install the dash at my house and Ron told me he's booked up til winter. So if the dash doesn't get done I'm stuck.

At the pace Larry is going, his shop won't be done for another year. I can't sit around and wait for him that long so if I can just get the dash installed I'm going to cut bait and try to find someone else to work with and settle with Larry. My patience is gone.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Member #:3360
    Cnut you done wayyyy better than I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblock View Post
    Cnut you done wayyyy better than I would have.
    Yeah, I've put up with a lot of shit from Larry. The problem is I've built most of this interior already and it needs to be finished in the materials I've already started with or started over from scratch. No interior shop is going to finish the console in metal. Few if any will do the fiberglass work that needs to be done on the side panels. I asked Ron if he could finish the console and he said they don't do metal work at all. I don't even think they do fiberglass work. These guys build with MDF and wood and cardboard. So I've been stuck with me and Larry doing this and I've been willing to do the fab work if he does the upholstery. But he's not doing anything.

I asked Ron if he could help me by just doing parts I bring to him and he didn't turn it down. He did say he couldn't accept responsibility for the fit since they wouldn't have the car there. I told him it would have to be there to install the carpet and he said he had no room for it until winter. My time is running out. I will be putting my Colorado house up for sale next year, and the car has to be done so I can take it to Montana. I told Larry it needed to be done by summer 2024 and he agreed to commit to that, which he's now trying to weasel out of. In the meantime, schedules at other shops just get filled up.

One of my friends who has known Larry for decades told me two years ago that he would never finish it. I didn't believe him. I was told by another guy who knows him that "Larry has no concept of time". I have to cut ties with Larry or this is never going to get done.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112