Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my dash valence and console

Member #:115

Building my dash valence and console

Thought I'd start a new thread on the fabrication of my dash valence, and more fab work on my console. I've posted a few pics before but I decided to put them here to make it a more complete thread.

My idea is to try to tie the valence into the console like you see on some modern cars. I wanted a smooth flowing curve from the valence to the console and along the console edges. This is my valence design in CAD after a few hours of measuring and massaging it:

I decided to add 4 A/C vents instead of the two at the ends that I initially planned to use. I was going to put two on the side of the console but decided they look better with 4 as long as I can get the hoses fitted. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to retain the stock fresh air vents, and if I do I will need to add the knobs and cables or some electrical actuator. Also, I have a Lokar park brake release knob I need to add somewhere. There may be switches for the power vent windows and other things on the valence too, if I don't put them elsewhere. I don't really want the vent window switches on the door.

I started building my console some time ago, before my door panels were finalized. I'm considering changing the design from the one on the left to the one on the right since it flows with the door design better. It all depends on the aesthetics on the top and the fitting of other parts.

I want to make most of this out of aluminum because I find it easier to work with than steel (I'm not good enough to make it in steel), and I don't like a lot of wood or MDF used for interior construction in a car.

I had some initial thoughts about how to build the valence, and after studying how to fabricate it and getting some suggestions here I decided to round the bottom of it with a mild radius instead of making it square. This will make it flow nicely into my console which will also have rounded moldings on the sides of it if I can make them right. It also gave me a fairly ridid piece to weld to, minimizing distortion.

I laid out the part on some 5052 aluminum, drew the forming lines allowing for a bend at the top to attach it to the dash. Then I started forming it over a 3/4" rod and the edge of a 2x3x.188" tube which seems to have a 3/8" radius on the corners. I used a plastic hammer and a steel body hammer. The 5052 forms pretty well but it does work-harden fairly fast. Once it was formed, the whole part was severely curved due to the stretching caused by forming so I had to shrink the formed edge to make it straight again.

After the main piece was formed to my liking, I cut the piece for the lower flange making it wide enough to transition into the console molding that I will fab later. I bent it over some round objects in my shop by hand, to get it close to the shape of the valence. I also clamped the valence to my tubing to help keep it straight while welding the flange on.

This is what it looked like after welding and grinding...

After trimming and initial fitting it looked like this:

Next I drew up some A/C vents actual size (1.6"x4") to see what it looked like, and if I liked the way it was turning out. I also installed an old instrument cluster I had as well as a 2" stainless tube to mock up the steering column and the windlace retainer.

At first it seemed kind of tall to me, but after drawing in the trim I plan to add along the top, and sticking the fake vents on, I think it works out just about right. It just takes a little getting used to after having nothing there. I haven't figured out what to do with the end at the console yet. There will be a DVD stereo there with a bezel that doesn't leave a lot of room.

Now I have to finish fabricating the passenger side. The trim on top will probably be stainless steel. The dash will be charcoal all the way down to the valence. The valence might be orange, to bring the exterior color into the car. Or I may make the top of the console orange, and put carbon fiber on the valence to match the door moldings.

Please let me know what you think if this as I appreciate all feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-04-2015 at 05:49 AM.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I used the oval A/C vents because they match my door handles and courtesy lights.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-04-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:2017
    can't see pics...
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    Quote Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
    can't see pics...
    same here, black x.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

That's weird. I see large pics and not the usual thumbnails I get when I upload from my computer. The site was acting strange last night when I tried to edit the posts. I'll try to re-load the pics.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I just reloaded the pics. They're still big, not like they used to be. I re-booted my computer last night after having problems uploading pics. I was seeing the big pics plus a group of thumbnails all bunched together at the bottom of the post. Does it work now? It's different than it used to be for some reason, and I haven't changed any of my settings.

edit: Well, I'm seeing the thumbnails at the bottom again. Don't know what's going on with the pic uploads.
    Last edited by chevynut; 06-04-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Me thanks it would look better if you increase the radius to mimic dash.

Rocky, thanks for the feedback. I don't see how I can form the part to have a curve like the dash, and still flow into the console like I want it to and have flat places for the vents. Do you know how to do that? I sure don't.

Also, I don't think there's room to do that unless I make the valence taller which would make it pretty tall. I want a piece of trim at the top about 1/2" wide, then there needs to be about 3/8" on each side of the 1.6" vent to look right. That's 2.85".

If I curve the whole thing, I would need bulges formed in it to mount the vents to. I don't think I can make those with the tools and skills I have. Then I just don't see how I could make the transition to the console molding. It gets way too complicated and I don't have the time to mess with it for months.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

This would be a great piece for a 3D printer. Just design it in CAD and print the pieces.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Robert could do it LOL....

Guess I don't follow your concern the part is identical to what you just did but with a bigger radius. The tangent point will be lower thats all. You may have to reshape the console some to accommodate but the part is same as far as fabrication goes.

Besides if I can draw it you can built it lol.....

carry on

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast