Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building New Shop

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    My only input is to place the large openings if possible towards the prevailing winds in your area to help ventilate the shop in summer. If this is not possible add windows on the sides and let the breeze blow thru cross ways. Being in Florida your not going to have much of a heating issue mostly a cooling issue. Also if you can afford having an open air covered area as part of your plan works great in the summer months. A closed shop and no air here in Texas in the summer is no fun. We usually close up shop and had to the nearest lake.

Member #:2209
    Quote Originally Posted by Bihili View Post
    What are the code requirements for your area?
    bill the only major code requirement I have is a 130 mph wind loading. Being in FL , even the county government is smart enough not to have a snow load requirement. This is not to say there aren't any other code requirements, that is the one that some building manufacturers can't meet.

Ok here are the preliminary drawings and specifications for the shop. I am thinking of a couple of changes, one is reducing the height of the building to 12 or 14' side walls. I am not sure I need the extra height even with a lift int he shop and I don't want the shop that much taller than the house. Changing the roll up doors to 12' wide, thanks Tabasco, great suggestion. Nick I have included the specification sheet, let me know if anything stands out.

I am debating the location of the second roll up door, if I want it in the second bay or the side of the first bay? I don't want to add a third roll up door as I think it will take away too much valuable wall space.

At this price plus installation and concrete I am right at my budget of $35K, and still need electrical and lights. I have found cheaper but there is a big sacrifice in quality so may just have to save a bit more. LOL There are always more projects that the bank account allows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:1653
    What's the roof pitch? Drawing looks like 1/12. If you can opt for 4" in walls and 6" in roof I'd suggest that. 3" is pretty minimal. Do a layout of the floor plan and any and all equipment, benches ect. then determine where the second door needs to go. What gauge and size are the purlins and girts? 8" I would hope. A 12' OHD is a splendid idea.

Nick,

Girts are min 8" 12 ga, but could be 10 or 12 depending on the final design and wind loading. I can add more insulation on the inside after construction if installed is not good enough. This is 3" with a radiant barrier installed. I have the radiant barrier with no insulation in my current garage and it is usable so I think this should be a step up.

I had asked for a 3:12 roof pitch, but you are right the drawing looks like 1:12

My issue with laying everything out first is that I am not sure what all is going in here over time as I am moving from a two car garage 22 x 20.

Member #:1653

I Hear Ya!

I had, and have had much the same issue over the years on floor plans. My old shop in De Queen underwent three iterations, the shop in Forney - 4 and back here in De Queen, 5. My shop here is overall 40x60 but being it was built prior to me moving back here, its layout was not real efficient. I have, in the last year changed its structure a bit but am still limited just by the nature of the beast.I suspect the Girts and Purlins will be 10 ga. to meet the 140 mph code. What color is your roof? If like most companies, they should have a reflective white that meets the energy code and will offer a little extra relief along with the 3" insulation. If you can, depending upon the roof structure/design, go to 4" or even 6". It's better to do it now rather than trying to add later. It's far less expensive now and way less problematic overall. 3" in the walls, depending on surrounding structures or trees will be ok however I always used a minimum of 4" in Texas.It's all a matter of what comfort level you can endure. Your present day garage, is it a PEMB or stick, brick and mortar? Makes a difference.
    Last edited by NickP; 07-04-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Member #:115
    Definitely go with 12 foot wide doors and at least 8 feet tall (looks like they're taller). On my new shop I wanted a double door and I went with 18 foot wide instead of the standard 16 foot, and I'm sure glad I did. If I ever build another house the garage is going to have an 18 foot door. If I was you I'd at least lay out your lift and your work benches/tables, and even your air lines and compressor. At 30 feet wide you won't be able to get two cars in lengthwise, but you will the other direction. So the placement and orientation of your lift will be important, and it will take up a lot of space. Also consider where your man-door will be. I like to walk directly into the work area, not through a bunch of stuff to get to the work area. Then figure out your storage space.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Well after a visit to the county and another site visit I have had to change the layout of the building. Turns out the easement at the back of my property is platted as a road so the setback is 25' so that pushed the building too close to the house. So my plan is to shorten the building to 55' long and 30 ' wide, then after the final inspection pour a 30' x 25' "parking pad out side the roll up doors. I don't need a permit to pour concrete if it does not have a roof over it. My plan is to get a 4 post lift with casters so I could take the lift outside to do thinks like pressure wash the bottom of cars.

The man door is on the end of the building closest to the house. My plan is to install pallet racking over the workbench areas to create overhead storage, I can get that used fairly inexpensively and it will hold almost anything you can put on it. I am sure this will continue to evolve and change as time goes by and I hear more suggestions but here is the first shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    exciting times ahead.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

Well tomorrow I get one step closer, we are closing on the house that we are building the shop at. Then next week I should be selling the house that is going to fund the shop purchase.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast