Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower rear qtr patch panels which ones to buy?

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884

Lower rear qtr patch panels which ones to buy?

I'm getting close to pulling the body off my nomad to start metal repair and complete the frame. I am planning to install a complete front floor assy. I've seen no complaints on there fit weather its US made or off shore. I have seen that the sherman floors do not have inner rockers installed. So I'm planning to purchase the complete off shore brand unless you guys can tell me different.

The nomad also needs the front lower Qtrs patched. I want to purchase a right & left for the sedan and cut the lower 8 inches off to repair mine. Any suggestions on which brand or source fit better. My door jams are solid i just need and outter and bottom section and partial fender lip.
    Thanks much
    Rocky

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 08-22-2015 at 05:51 AM.

Member #:115
    You're right on as far as going with a complete assembled floor. IMO I would go with the taiwan floor from Goldstar, or whoever makes them. They're only around $900 and don't appear hard to install. The sherman floors don't have the EDP coating in the braces, and I think their floors are made from two halves while the taiwan floors are one-piece. Nomads used the sedan floors, not the HT floors.

I can't help you on which quarter patch is best, but it looks like you have a pretty solid car there. Just look the quarter over really good so you don't later regret patching it when it should have been replaced.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    You're right on as far as going with a complete assembled floor. IMO I would go with the taiwan floor from Goldstar, or whoever makes them. They're only around $900 and don't appear hard to install. The sherman floors don't have the EDP coating in the braces, and I think their floors are made from two halves while the taiwan floors are one-piece. Nomads used the sedan floors, not the HT floors.I can't help you on which quarter patch is best, but it looks like you have a pretty solid car there. Just look the quarter over really good so you don't later regret patching it when it should have been replaced.
    The Goldstar units I have installed have fit like a glove.

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure about the floor but I'm curious about the patch panels if any match that area any better than the other.

So far the nomad is looking pretty solid. I have stripped the interior panels and the window channels look very good as do all door edges etc. I opened up a inner rocker and the outters look very solid. I have sanded the entire car done to original paint or raw metal and so far I'm feeling really lucky.

Member #:2017
    Rocky, some other rust prone areas to check, above the wheels, look for deep pitting directly above the tire area, under the tail light area between the pinch welds. If you start seeing problems other than just what has been obvious thus far, a full quarter replacement may be a better choice. Especially given that a seam in the top area of the quarter (higher crown) helps to hold the shape better, a seam through the middle of the quarter is low crown and quick to lose it's shape..
    Robert

MP&C Shop Projects-Metalshaping Tutorials

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

Robert I will inspect the areas closer to see how they look. Thanks for the heads up.
    Rocky

Member #:19
    I think there is only one mfg of the patch panels, sold by many vendors. I don't believe GS makes patch panels for the quarters, they are made by Sherman?
    Dick Olsen

Classic Enterprise
    classicchevyshop.com

Registered Member

Member #:2652
    The sherman floors don't have the EDP coating in the braces, and I think their floors are made from two halves while the taiwan floors are one-piece.
    Thats interesting to know. I have always wondered about the split down the middle and spot welded together full floor pans. It looks rather cheesy to me especially when you can get the one piece ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotroddder View Post
    I think there is only one mfg of the patch panels, sold by many vendors. I don't believe GS makes patch panels for the quarters, they are made by Sherman?
    classic chevy list to different parts one says "BEST" exact fit the other says good quality patch panel there is about a 70$ difference in the price listed.

I wonder which brands they are selling?

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    I wonder which brands they are selling?
    If they are black they're probably Golden Star. If they are bare metal, probably Sherman. I'd get the "best" one.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast