Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10% Ethanol mess

Registered Member

Member #:2450
    Ethanol will make water in your fuel...don't know how but it does!
    I installed a brand new stainless steel tank in my 56' with a drain plug and a new Holley 4 barrel carb. Put ethanol fuel in...car sat for about six months while working on it...when I went to start it...I saw junky looking fuel in the see through filter...but cranked it up. Ran rough and stalled. Car went to Resto last year, so I pulled the engine and transmission. While at the house, I pulled the carb, bought a complete rebuild kit and you can see the garbage from ethanol in the pictures I will post for your viewing pleasure. I bought a Crock-Pot and cooked this baby in Purple Power, then I put in a an ultra-sound cleaner that is heated from Harbor Freight. Washed it all out in hot water...dried and rebuilt.
    Went to resto, pumped my tank empty with electric pump, and drained the residual in the tank...got about 1 quart of water with some foul smelling fuel. Replaced my filter, and put 5 gallons of NON-ETHANOL fuel in tank, cranked up and purrs!

There is an app for your smart phone called Pure Gas and it will list ALL the gas stations in the US that carry NON-ETHANOL fuel!
    I will add the following...Nasty carb on inspection, Boiling in Crock Pot, and put together.

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Member #:625
    This is Not a carb only issue I recently was involved in the purchase of 8 new injectors, gas tank and fuel pump for a 89 IROC TPI 350, now 383. The insides of this fuel tank looked worse than that Holley.

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    Markm I don't know if they do, I buy what I've sold from one of my small engine suppliers. A lot of the small engine dealers have or can get it Briggs also has some branded for them.
    Rick it's expensive, retail on Quarts $6-8, gallons $23-25, 5 gallon $78-80, 54 gallon $540- 550, Depends on how much the dealer buys and freight costs, I don't think we can afford to run
    it in our cars. Most guys I've sold it to use it in their high end small equipment. They have 4 cycle fuel and 40:1 and 50:1 premixed also at he same prices. I haven't bought any race fuel
    other than m1 methanol for a long time. Tried some of the 94 in my grandsons race gokart last summer sure woke it up over the 87 it's suppose to run.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Currently Renegade 110 is $7.98 per gallon and BP Gold 91 is $2.50, so that's affordable at $5.25 no more than I will use in a year. Been doing this for years and no small engine issues.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123