Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: water stains on headliner aobve door

Registered Member

Member #:2804

water stains on headliner aobve door

I have water stains in my headliner above the doors on my 1957 Bel Air sedan. I cannot determine the source of the leak, I can't replace the headliner until I can dry the source up. Doesn't seem to be in the roof or gutters, is the windshield seal a possibility?

Thanks

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site!

How far back are the stains? Got any pics? If it's near the center of the door I doubt it would have anything to do with the windshield. To me that would point to the drip rails. How does the sealer in them look?

If it's near the corner of the windshield it's possible it's the windshield seal or even a crack at the seam at the top of the a-pillar, under the bel-air vertical molding.

Does it still get wet or is it some old stains? Did you acquire the car with the stains already there?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:777
    Probably condensation. That's how the roofs rust out, not from outside water but moisture condenses and the inner structure along the sides holds the water.

Registered Member

Member #:2804
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Welcome to the site!

How far back are the stains? Got any pics? If it's near the center of the door I doubt it would have anything to do with the windshield. To me that would point to the drip rails. How does the sealer in them look?

If it's near the corner of the windshield it's possible it's the windshield seal or even a crack at the seam at the top of the a-pillar, under the bel-air vertical molding.

Does it still get wet or is it some old stains? Did you acquire the car with the stains already there?

Sorry for the delay, I just took the car back into my shop from storage.
    There were stains on the headliner when I got the car, however, I've washed it several times (carefully, low water pressure), and they have gotten worse. They are located above both doors, starting at the front and move toward the center of the door opening. I know water can do strange things when moving and clinging to things, and I cannot see any issues with the roof or gutters. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pd2mch View Post
    Sorry for the delay, I just took the car back into my shop from storage.
    There were stains on the headliner when I got the car, however, I've washed it several times (carefully, low water pressure), and they have gotten worse. They are located above both doors, starting at the front and move toward the center of the door opening. I know water can do strange things when moving and clinging to things, and I cannot see any issues with the roof or gutters. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Again, water is not entering from the outside, moisture in the air condensates and the interior roof structure traps it in crevices.

Registered Member carls 56 (RIP 11/24/2021)'s Avatar

Member #:33
    could be the windshield seal if you notice more after washing. probable should take the headliner down to find it.
    ARMY NAM VET, very proud!

56 210 4dr

drive and enjoy them while you work on them, life is to short.

possible to enter through windshield gasket and travel down the roof channels I suppose.