Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will 78 Camaro chassis work with 57

Registered Member

Member #:78

Will 78 Camaro chassis work with 57

I was looking to upgrade the front suspension on my 57 and a friend of mine has a 78 Camaro front clip with tubular a arms and coil overs. Will this front work with my 57 chassis. I also have someone else with a 57 chassis with a fat man fab front clip installed wanting to trade even on my stock 57 chassis. Which would be the best route to go.

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site, goob!

IMO neither is a very good upgrade. The camaro clip is a lot of work and will improve the handling to 78 standards. It will "work" but you still have to fab the radiator support and bumper mounts and get the correct ride height set. The mounting surface width is 61.5" which is about 2" wider than stock tri5. I've seen it done, and some people say it detracts from the value of the car. The Fatman clip is based on a Mustang 2 suspension, if I recall correctly. I think that stuff should be left to street rods as it's decades outdated. I always thought the typical MII upper a-arm attachment left a lot to be desired.

Some will say that you can upgrade a stock frame with bolt-on parts to perform like a modern car, but it can cost a lot and not give you modern car handling. It can be improved with some limitations. I've known guys to pay $5-6K on bolt-on stuff and still not get what they wanted or expected.

Check out my website link below for what I feel is a better option if you want a more modern performance suspension.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I would love to go that route if I had 6k lying around to use on it.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Goob, remember this - there is nothing that the Camaro clip does for you that can't be done using the stock frame, and using the stock frame is a lot more straightforward and cheaper.

Registered Member

The reason I was considering the camaro frame is because it has tubular control arms, coil over shocks, and rack and pinion already installed

Quote Originally Posted by goob8869 View Post
    I would love to go that route if I had 6k lying around to use on it.
    Goob, I don't know where you're getting $6K from . That's my price for a full C4 conversion frame. If you're just wanting a different front suspension, my basic clip is $2195 and the full clip is $3195. You can buy a complete C4 front suspension for $500-800 that includes all the suspension parts, disc brakes, steering rack, and swaybar if you shop around. Some guys get the suspension for free by buying a donor car and selling off the unwanted parts.

If you can do some of the fab work yourself, the basic clip is a good foundation for a modern performance suspension. It's far better than any Camaro or Mustang II setup, imo. The suspension geometry is better, the steering rack is better, and the brakes are better. The project can be done for around $2700 if you do your own welding and some fab work, which it sounds like you're capable of doing if you're considering the Camaro clip.

Rick is right, the Camaro setup won't get you any better suspension than you can get with bolt-on parts. But the cost of new a-arms, dropped spindle kit, disc brakes, a new steering box or rack, swaybar, and all the other stuff you need really adds up.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Goob, I don't know where you're getting $6K from . That's my price for a full C4 conversion frame. If you're just wanting a different front suspension, my basic clip is $2195 and the full clip is $3195. You can buy a complete C4 front suspension for $500-800 that includes all the suspension parts, disc brakes, steering rack, and swaybar if you shop around. Some guys get the suspension for free by buying a donor car and selling off the unwanted parts.

If you can do some of the fab work yourself, the basic clip is a good foundation for a modern performance suspension. It's far better than any Camaro or Mustang II setup, imo. The suspension geometry is better, the steering rack is better, and the brakes are better. The project can be done for around $2700 if you do your own welding and some fab work, which it sounds like you're capable of doing if you're considering the Camaro clip.

Rick is right, the Camaro setup won't get you any better suspension than you can get with bolt-on parts. But the cost of new a-arms, dropped spindle kit, disc brakes, a new steering box or rack, swaybar, and all the other stuff you need really adds up.
    Sorry chevynut was in a hurry when I checked out the site and misread it. I can do the welding and fabricating that needs to be done and I'm interested in your setup. Will I have to run a flat face wheel with this setup or can I have some lip? Thanks for help

Goob, The early C4 front end is 61" wide at the wheel mounting surfaces so it's 1.5" wider than a stock tri5 front end, but a little narrower than the '78 Camaro front end you mentioned. The late C4 front end is 62" wide.

This Nomad has the late ('88-'96) C4 front end with Coddington wheels with 245-45/17 tires. It also has an early C4 rear with 275-45/17 tires.. You don't have to use Corvette wheels, just a wheel with the right offset. The offset kind of depends on tire size you choose. A smaller tire can have slightly less positive offset.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    You can do a complete bolt on setup which includes upper arms, performance drop springs, new 500 steering box, disc brakes, shocks, & front sway bar for about 2700$ as a comparison. If you need your current steering link etc serviced you will have to add the cost of that on top of what I quoted.

Cnut does you estimate include the cost of front coilovers?

Rocky, no it doesn't include coilovers because they're not required. The C4 spring works fine and coilovers are optional and probably add around $500. You would have to add shocks.

Personally I'd go with dropped spindles instead of dropped springs. Dropped springs reduce the suspension travel and the most I'd go on them is 1" lower. Our conversions drop the front suspension 3" from stock with an option for 2" drop. Dropped spindles add about $350 to that price. And the bolt-ons won't match the C4 performance at about the same cost. Plus the C4 suspension is around 75-100 pounds or so lighter.

There are other small costs as there are with any modification. With either one you need a new column and steering linkage. The C4 suspension may or may not require some refurbishing, depending on condition.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast