Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Will 78 Camaro chassis work with 57

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    This has some very good info about subject. So Rick I'm still confused about the instant being outbd or on wrong side. This discussed the 2 an states complex F1 cars have instant on wrong side and so quickly diposes it in futher topic and carries on with the normal ic on opposite side?
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ll-Center.aspx

Registered Member

Member #:571
    When the i.c. location changes from outboard to inboard, this is not as big a deal as you might first think because all it means is that the lateral location of the intersection has moved from one side of infinity to the other. In other words it's going from increasingly longer to decreasingly longer. It doesn't signify an abrupt change in actual handling as you might first think. What does cause abrupt changes in handling is an abrupt change in the height of the i.c. and consequently the height of the roll center.

The main contributor I can think of that will cause the i.c. and roll center to change vertically more rapidly is shorter control arms. Thing is, shorter control arms also give you more camber gain. So you have to balance those two things.

One way to control all this movement of roll centers and negate the need for camber gain is simply to make the suspension stiffer and set a bunch of static camber. Of course that's a problem with ride and with road surfaces that are rough as well as tire wear. So everything is a compromise - "more is better" isn't nearly the option that it is with other things.

I wouldn't pay nearly as much attention to the location of the instant center as to the location of the roll center, or the movement of the i.c. and the roll center.

One thing we haven't discussed much is the roll couple and the length of the moment arm which is the distance between the center of gravity and the roll center. The roll couple, which is the unsprung weight multiplied by the moment arm, will partially determine how the car rolls over when cornering, so while the roll center at ride height is important, how much the roll center and moment arm changes with suspension travel is also important.

Rick I respect your reply I'm not one with knowledge to dispute or try to be negative about your comments but why does the link I posted about how to make car handle above abort discussion about ic on wrong side? Another words it don't back up your statements or better said never goes there?
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 02-19-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    All I can say is that they said F1, the best handling fastest cars on the planet, has the I.C. on the wrong side and they do what they do. So it must not be a fatal flaw.

Rick I can not dispute that lol. But personally being a big part of the design and developement of the lasted gen fighters over the past 30 years plus I can assure you the F-16 that is the first fly by wire and was designed when this young pup was a school boy before joining the design team couldn't fly without the computer control to constaintly adjust in real time. The new ones are no different. I suspect the F1 is pretty close to same. Reason it was not included in disussion. But honestly I have nothing to back up that statement other than a guess based on what Ive read about how complex ans adjustable they are real time during a race.
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 02-19-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456