Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Suspension geometry analysis

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Somehow I don't think anything like that is most guys' idea of a high performance street machine.

If you like it, fine - but I don't think most will. No doubt you put a lot of effort in it.

A car like that is nowhere near a 55-57 with a C4 suspension. Or any other suspension most would use.

Member #:777
    From start to finish-pure hotrodding. Love it or hate it. Not my cup of tea but my hats off to you and your skills.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Laz does it really matter if its an olds or a VW or even a new vet. Alignment and same tire would EQ about same wear on a freeway example straight line use not much suspension used dont really get your point. I'm thanking my swag method has more merit than the book work numbers your using another words my real world data with the Cutlass will not be much different on the Nomad. I really don't see why you would say it is as far as tire wear. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 03-04-2016 at 08:57 PM.

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    The weight distribution of the C4 and a Tri 5 is actually very close so that shouldn't be an issue. Before I started my project I weighed both our 90 Corvette and my 55 Chevy 2 door sedan and the distribution front to rear was within 1 or 2% of each other. I'll post the actual numbers if I can remember where I wrote it down. (Both were weighed on the same scales at the local speedway, separate scales for each wheel). I moved my engine forward 3/4" and the radiator will be moved to the 6 cylinder position but the Corvette suspension parts will be lighter. I do plan to weigh my 55 again when I can drive it to see what the actual difference is. Hopefully that will be sometime in April or May.
    Brian
    I found the book I wrote down the weights of Our 90 Corvette and my 55 Chevy.

For the Corvette the total weight was 3,413 lbs. minus my weight of 189 lbs. (there wasn't much room to get out of the car in the scale room, they weigh the race cars with the driver) for a total weight of 3,224 lbs. I can't say for sure how full the gas tank was but it was most likely at least a half to 3/4 tank.
    Weight per wheel as follows: (this with my 189 lbs. in the car, obviously more left side weight added than right side)

left front - 919 lbs. right front - 856 lbs.

left rear - 865 lbs. right rear - 773 lbs.

This works out to a 52% / 48% front to rear weight distribution

For my 55 I was able to weigh it without being in the car, as a Tri 5 Chevy is much easier to get in and out of in tight quarters than a 90 Vette.
    Again probably a 1/2 to 3/4 full gas tank.
    Total weight was 3,410 lbs. This includes a couple of bag chairs and misc. stuff I keep in the trunk for car shows etc. Maybe an extra 20 to 30 lbs. at most.
    Weight per wheel as follows:

left front - 890 lbs. right front - 878 lbs.

left rear - 805 lbs. right rear - 837 lbs.

This works out to a 51.8% / 48.2% front to rear weight distribution.

Nearly identical to our 90 Corvette. This is one of the reasons I decided to just use the stock Corvette springs and shocks.
    It will be interesting to see where my 55 ends up weight wise with the new frame. I'm thinking it will be very close. The Corvette suspension parts should save 150 to 200 lbs. but I added the frame center section at about 70 lbs. or so, an extra cross member front and rear. a power steering pump, and the tilt steering column is heavier than the original. I have an aluminum water pump on order so that will save a couple of lbs. The engine is moved 3/4 forward, the radiator will be moved to the 6 cylinder position, and the gas tank is moved 3" backward. I am using the same engine and transmission though and probably the same radiator for now. I plan to upgrade to an aluminum cross flow when the budget permits.
    Brian

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Laz does it really matter if its an olds or a VW or even a new vet. Alignment and same tire would EQ about same wear on a freeway example straight line use not much suspension used dont really get your point. I'm thanking my swag method has more merit than the book work numbers your using another words my real world data with the Cutlass will not be much different on the Nomad. I really don't see why you would say it is as far as tire wear. Am I missing something?

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    LIKE LOL.... oh wait this isn't FB

Member #:1653
    Pretty close sometimes though.

Registered Member

Member #:931
    I just want to make 2 comments, then sit back and watch:

1. C4 tech, is last century aka 1980's / 90's.
    2. as long as the front suspension does what you want it to do, do the parts really matter?
    meaning, C3 C4 C5 C6, aftermarket, space alien, cartoon, what ever. As long as what ever parts you are
    using, if the car goes around corners, stops, goes straight, does it really matter what parts are used to get
    the result? The result being: better than stock, reasonable dollars spent. Keeping up with the Jones-es.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by Classicgary View Post
    I just want to make 2 comments, then sit back and watch:

1. C4 tech, is last century aka 1980's / 90's.
    2. as long as the front suspension does what you want it to do, do the parts really matter?
    meaning, C3 C4 C5 C6, aftermarket, space alien, cartoon, what ever. As long as what ever parts you are
    using, if the car goes around corners, stops, goes straight, does it really matter what parts are used to get
    the result? The result being: better than stock, reasonable dollars spent. Keeping up with the Jones-es.
    Agreed and I seriously doubt its possible to make one of these cars handle like a Camaro let alone a Corvette.

Registered Member

Member #:2084
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed and I seriously doubt its possible to make one of these cars handle like a Camaro let alone a Corvette.
    It's been proven that a C4 chassis'd tri-five can keep up with a C5 ZO6. You know...the ones that pull 1G on the skidpad blow away a stock C4 Corvette? That's not exactly bad. I think you guys are selling this really short. Is it a perfect race car?...probably not. Can you get a stock framed tri-five in the same ball park...I've yet to see that, but I'm not saying it's impossible. I think it's unlikely though.

There are plenty of Youtube videos of Kyle Newman tearing it up against new cars including a C5 ZO6 and high dollar Camaros. This is on a C4 chassis'd 55. Is a bit different than Lazlo's design...yeah, but it's still a C4 chassis. The platform is plenty capable of handling like a Corvette or a Camaro.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flE8BjXlr7U

Oh and keeping up with 1st and 2nd gen Camaros, and passing what looks like a C6 on a road course: https://youtu.be/psQHpPreF0M?t=6m14s
    Last edited by hutchenc; 03-12-2016 at 12:28 AM.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast