Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ramjet 502 re-assembly

Member #:115

Ramjet 502 re-assembly

I bought my BBC 502 several years ago from a guy who apparently abandoned his project, so I got a screaming deal on it. It was a new, never run, deluxe GMPP ZZ502 crate engine kit he bought without the intake and carb or distributor. When I got it, an aftermarket single plane intake had been installed as well as a cheapie HEI. I sold the intake and distributor and started collecting parts to make it a Ramjet 502 which is the fuel-injected version.

The GMPP Ramjet 502 crate engine has the same internal parts as the ZZ502....forged steel crank and rods, forged JE pistons, aluminum heads with 2.25" intakes, and a steel hydraulic roller cam. The only difference is the Ramjet is EFI and the ZZ502 is carbed. I won't ever have another carbed car engine, so I found a brand new set of Ramjet manifolds for sale locally and bought them, and collected all the correct sensors and other pieces from various sources. I bought the fuel rail, regulator, GM computer-controlled distributor and other parts from GM Parts direct and a new Holley dual 58mm throttle body (stock is dual 48mm), 42 lb/hr injectors, and Commander 950 Pro EFI controller. I am using an MSD coil, stock GM plug wires and stock AC Delco plugs. The final upgrade was a Holley wide-band O2 sensor kit that interfaces to the C950.

The engine was shipped to me pretty sloppily and the oilpan and valve covers sustained some minor damage so I'll need to address that. The exhaust ports were left uncovered and no spark plugs were installed. I put the engine in my frame as I was building it and tried to cover the ports, etc. After years of sitting I decided to tear it down for a cleanup and replace the low-tension oil rings that GM put in these engines that sometimes cause oil consumption issues. There was actually quite a bit of trash in the engine so I'm glad I made the decision to tear it down.

The past week I completely disassembled the engine and took the block to a local shop for a torque plate honing as recommended to my by Total Seal. All the parts I took out looked really good and are laid out on my assembly table. I took the pistons I removed, as well as another brand new set of OEM 502 pistons that I bought when I planned to build my own 502 just in case they needed one or two for a better fit.

When I get the block back I will document the assembly process here. The shop will be removing the cam bearings and all oil galley plugs. Then they will install the new cam bearings and plugs after honing and cleaning the block. I will be installing the crank with the same bearings it came with, a new rear main seal, the same rods and bearings, and the same pistons with a new Total Seal ring set containing standard tension oil rings. I'll order the rings when I'm sure they successfuly honed the block and the pistons fit.

I haven't decided whether to upgrade the cam to something a little bigger or not. I like the sound of the stock cam, but there's a lot of hidden power in the engine that a cam upgrade can release. The valve train can handle quite a bit bigger cam. I will be using the stock GMPP timing gears and chain that I removed. All new seals and gaskets will be used.

On the top end I won't be doing anything to the heads except using new head gaskets (same as OEM) and will probably install a set of roller-tipped rockers with the stock pushrods. I'd like to do full rollers but I want to use the stock valve covers and they won't fit. I like the stock covers and don't want to change them. I will have to machine the upper intake manifold to accept the larger dual 58mm throttle body, since GM thought it would be nice to just make two 48mm holes in it.

I haven't built an engine for several years except rebuilding the top end of my ATV, so I'm looking forward to doing some actual wrenching on this engine.

I posted these on my Nomad chassis assembly thread but decided to post them here too. These are a few pics of the teardown.

Attached Images Attached Images
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

I still don't have my block back from the machine shop so in the meantime I thought I'd address something that I'll need to do to close the engine up. I probably wouldn't do this today, with the experience I've gained doing the C4 conversions, but early in my project I set my 502 in the frame and was concerned about the height of the top of the Ramjet manifold. I thought there might be interference with my hood and wanted to be sure to address that. I mocked up the hood position as close as I could get it and the clearance was pretty tight.

So in an effort to lower the engine as much as possible, I cut the front of my oilpan so it could be lowered over the rack. I built my engine mounts, and did the rest of the construction of the car. When the car was all mocked up with the front end sheetmetal, I ended up with around 13/16" clearance from manifold to hood which is more than I needed. But now I had my oilpan cut and engine positioned. Lowering the engine like this caused other issues that I could have avoided, but it was too late to re-do everything way back when. The rack is going to be a PITA to remove if I ever have to replace it not to mention removing the oilpan.

So I needed to finish the oilpan by welding in the patch, to get it ready to paint. I used a piece of 2" diameter steel tubing and trimmed the opening to match it. Then I tacked it in place and finish welded it. After grinding, it's ready to go.

Inside:

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Picked up the engine block today and got it back on the engine stand. They removed the cam bearings, freeze plugs and all oil galley plugs, honed the bores with a torque plate attached, did a "Jet Clean" on it, reinstalled all the plugs and installed a new oil filter bypass valve. Not sure why they had to change that bypass valve. The stand turns a lot easier than it did before, now that I've cleaned off the powdercoating and lubed it up.

My plan is to paint the block and oilpan before I start re-assembly. I'll be spraying them with DP90LF (along with some other parts) then with PPG charcoal BC/CC.
    Last edited by chevynut; 03-30-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

I masked and primed the block with DP90LF the past couple of days. Did a little hammer and dolly work on the oilpan to fix some shipping damage and a little filling to cover some scratches and dings I couldn't get to, then primed it too. Also sanded and shot the timing chain cover. I forgot to change out the 2.2 tip for the 1.5 or 1.8 tip and got it on a little heavier than I wanted to but it still came out good.

I'm going to try to shoot the base and clear tomorrow.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Anyone know what the boss at the bottom of the 502 timing chain cover is for? It looks like it's ready for a crank sensor. There's a large hole and a small tapped hole that looks like it's for a sensor retainer. Just a curious thing....I don't know of any of these engines that came with a crank sensor from the factory.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Got the block, oilpan, and timing chain cover painted this weekend. I also confirmed that the cylinders were good to go with the original pistons and after discussing it with the shop I decided to go with file fit rings. It's going to take a little more work but at least I'll know the end gaps are right. Gotta get some more parts ordered now but I should be able to do the final block cleaning and reinstall the crank and rear seal.

Last edited by chevynut; 04-04-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:516
    Cnut,

I've always wondered if you need to add some kind of additive that makes the paint more heat resistant. Do you? BTW the paint looks great.

Everything I've read says automotive urethane is good on engine parts, even heads. I'm leaving my heads bare aluminum. I did put a dab of polyester filler here and there on the oilpan, but I couldn't find anything about the temperature rating of it. I read where some guys were using bondo on engine blocks, so I figured it was okay on the oilpan, and it was a very small amount. Thanks!

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Got the rings ordered from Jegs...Summit had them but said they couldn't ship until 4/21. They lost the sale on that one but I've ordered things from them that they said would take longer and they showed up pretty quick. Just didn't want to wait this time. I still need to order a ring compressor from Summit...probably going to get one of the non-adjustable ones. I thought for sure I'd find a used one on eBay, but haven't yet.

When I get all the parts I plan to start assembly. But I need to do some final cleaning on the inside of the block. Any specific recommendations for that? I've heard to scrub the bores with soap and water, then oil them. The shop did a "Jet Clean" but I'm not sure what that means. All the oil galley plugs are installed.
    Last edited by chevynut; 04-06-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Nice last time I saw a ramjet BB in a trifive it was a 55 ht at Good guys and had a 175,000 dollar price tag marked on the window and the words for sale were crossed out with SOLD if that makes you feel any better about your investment lol. But they may have spent 300 getting it built lol....

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast