Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: power drain

Registered Member

Member #:2934

power drain

basic old car electrical system, no new type memory radio or stuff that is on with key off(it does have an alternator). Battery runs down sooner than I think it should. Measured 9.1ma draw at the battery. Any suggestions???

Bill

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site Bill.

9.1 ma seems like a tiny current draw, and it shouldn't kill the battery very quickly but I suppose it shouldn't be there. For example, if your battery capacity is 50 AH, it would take well over 7 months to completely discharge at that rate. How fast does it discharge?

Disconnect the alternator and see if you still have current draw as it could be a leaky diode. But depending on how fast it discharges you might have a bad battery.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:2934
    We know the batt is not really good, but after a long charge, it only lasted about a week. 9ma certainly is not enough to finish off a good batt quickly, I agree, but this car sometimes sits for several months(trailer queen). My next task was to disconnect the alternator. Thanks.

Member #:2264
    if the alternator is fine I would do a three minute charge test and if it goes over 15.5 volts after three minutes then id replace the battery , but the battery should be the first thing and then check the other components.

Member #:2582
    Quote Originally Posted by mech393 View Post
    if the alternator is fine I would do a three minute charge test and if it goes over 15.5 volts after three minutes then id replace the battery , but the battery should be the first thing and then check the other components.
    I don't know this test Mech393, could you elaborate on this please.

Regards Andrew.

Member #:2264
    you take a battery and hook up a battery charger and volt meter and you run the charger at 40 amps or as close as you can get to it and check the voltage at three minutes the battery shouldn't go past 14.5 if its good if it goes past or up to 15.5 or higher then it sulfated usually it gets to 15.5 before the three minutes is up , but when the battery is sulfated the voltage goes up trying to push the amperage through the resistance of the sulfated cells of the battery.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I have found the source of many of these issues to be modern radios wit electronic memory.

Member #:115
    A radio's memory has very, very little power draw, a few milliamps at most. With today's non-volatile FLASH memory it could be virtually nothing. If it's hooked up wrong and the stereo is always powered, then I can see where that's a problem. I can leave my Porsche sitting for many weeks in the winter with a good battery and it won't go anywhere near dead. Same with my Silverado.

If a radio is draining a good battery, there's something wrong with the radio or it's wired wrong.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:2582
    Mech393 Thanks for that explanation.