Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Edelbrock Victor Jr Heads with Full Portwork by Mondello

Banned

Member #:2941

New Edelbrock Victor Jr Heads with Full Portwork by Mondello

$2,800 - New Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads for small block Chevy with full portwork by Mondello. Never bolted on an engine.

If interested, please send PM. I am located NW of Houston, Texas.

Will ship parts and split shipping cost within lower 48 states...... Payment by US Postal Money Order accepted.

If picking up parts locally, cash on receipt...... No checks, MOs nor credit cards if picking up locally.

All sales are final......

Description (priour to port work)......

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...or-jr-sb.shtml

I had Mondello rework these 23 degree heads for a 427 stroker small block as an affordable alternative to 18 degree or 15 degree heads.

I asked Modello to port these heads so as to maximize flow at valve lifts below 0.550". I was looking for a flow rate for this engine of at least 300 cfm at that lift.

The specs Mondello gave me are as follows......

* Edelbrock Victor Jr. Aluminum Heads Fully Ported By Mondello Racing - 23 degree with standard valve spacing (no offset rockers required)

* 65cc Combustion Chambers, polished

* 2.08" intake X 1.60" exhaust valve sizes - Stainless Steel Pro-Flo with 5-angle valve job

* Intake Ports - 2.35" High X 1.40" Wide = 3.25 sq. in. cross section at port opening (allowing for rounded corners) - Pushrod pinch point measures 2.80 sq. in.

* Exhaust Ports - 1.65" High X 1.65" Wide = 2.68 sq. in. cross section at port opening (allowing for rounded corners)

* Dual Valve Springs Set @ 140 lb. seat pressure / 340 lb. open / cryogenic stress relieved

* P.C. Teflon Valve Guide Seals

Flow @ 28 in. (no pipe)

LIFT - INTAKE - EXHAUST
    0.100" - 071.00 - 063.00
    0.200" - 145.00 - 113.00
    0.300" - 205.00 - 157.00
    0.400"- 260.00 - 190.00
    0.500" - 306.00 - 205.00
    0.550" - 313.00 - 211.00
    0.600" - 320.00 - 217.00

Best regards and thanks for your interest,

Harry
    Last edited by enigma57; 06-29-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Harry I thought Mondello was an olds guy? What the heck does he know about small block chevys lol.....

Member #:115
    Nice looking heads and impressive specs Harry. Why are you selling them?

How do they get those heads to flow so much? My BBC heads have 1.75 X 2" intake ports and 2.25" intake valves (3.50 square inches) at the opening and they supposedly flow around 300-309 CFM at .600" . I don't know what the port measurements are internally but I don't see any big restriction area. I don't think the big valves are a limiter.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:1653
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Harry I thought Mondello was an olds guy? What the heck does he know about small block chevys lol.....
    LOL

Banned

Laszlo...... Mondello worked their magic on them. 5-angle valve job. Valves profiled, bowls, ports and chambers reworked. The works. Then they were cryogenically treated.

Why am I selling them? Well about 18 years ago, I began gathering together the parts to build a 427 stroker small block (4.125" bore X 4.000" stroke) for my '57. Eventually, I changed directions and sold to a racer the GMPP Sportsman block, custom Wiseco pistons, Eagle 4340 H-beam stroker rods, 4340 COLA crank and the reduced base circle UltraDyne cam Harold Brookshire ground for me. The fellow who bought these parts already had about $5,000 in heads, intake, carb and portwork so he did not buy the heads.

And that left the Victor Jr. heads Mondello ported for me. I am going to build a smaller displacement carburetted small block engine for road use and these heads are simply too big for that application. With a carburettor, they would work well on either a large displacement (400 cu. in. or larger) stroker engine or on a smaller displacement road race engine that will be turning 7,500 or more RPMs on the straights. But unless you make and install port stuffers like the guys with Ford 4bbl Cleveland heads do to decrease intake port cross section...... The intake ports would be too large for a carburetted engine in the 302/327/350 range that won't be turning in excess of 7,000 RPMs on a regular basis. The exception would be if you have a port fuel injection setup with FI nozzles placed close to the head ports (and intake valves) where port velocity (with ports this large) can be low because there is no problem with fuel separation as there would be with a wet flow intake.

Anyway...... I have reluctantly decided to part with these heads and if you know of anyone who either has a carburetted race car or large displacement small block (or a smaller engine with EFI port injection intake) who can put them to good use, please have them contact me. These are a max effort build. No expense was spared and they are ready to run.

Rocky...... Like David Vizard, Joe Mondello was a head porter when he began. Mondello heads for small block Chevies were the stuff of legend in the 1950s and 1960s. You could identify them by their round exhaust ports matched to header tube size. Joe did get into Olds engines in the mid '60s and became the go to guy for Olds builds. He opened a porting school in California and that is where my Victor Jr. heads were reworked. I spoke with Joe several times over the years. He was a good guy. A wealth of knowledge and always helpful. Reminded me of my own Uncle Joe. Very Italian...... Straight shooter, very intense and didn't put up with any BS. I respect that and we got on well. A few years priour to his passing, Joe moved his family to Tennessee and opened a shop there but I believe his California shop is still in operation and run by his family as well. Here is a bio his wife gave to someone in 2009 (see 3rd post from top)......

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php?topic=6307.0

Best regards to all,

Harry

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Thanks Harry. I never knew his back ground just heard of him because I own an olds and was looking to build up an olds 455 before I went to the dark cheap side and bought an LS engine instead. I remember when he passed all the olds guys started crying that the shop in C A had gone south and didn't know olds anymore. Their a different breed.....the purest

Banned

Rocky, my very first car was a '53 Henry J. I swapped a Desoto hemi into it and had it running by the time I turned 16. Later pulled the hemi and dropped it into a '55 Ford. Drove that car my seniour year in high school and gave it to my Step-dad when I left for the Marine Corps in June of '66.

I swapped a 'built' 400 Pontiac engine into a '56 Chevy in the '70s. Best driving car of all the '55 - '57 Chevys I have built. In years past, have also swapped a 413 MOPAR engine and a big block Chevy engine into '55 Chevys and helped a buddy swap a 348 engine into his '55 Chevy many moons ago as well.

If I had the time and money, I would love to drop a Mondello built Olds engine into my current '57. That would be lots of fun.

Best regards,

Harry

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Building a 425/455 olds and installing it in one of my mid 80s Cutlass body's is on my bucket list.

Banned

That would be really neat, Mark. Those are quite a bit like the Buick Grand Nationals and T-types aren't they? Like the body styles.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

Banned

New in box Edelbrock Victor Jr. heads with full portwork by Mondello and cryogenic treatment are still available.

HB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast