Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 57 convertible rear suspension

Registered Member

Member #:3038

57 convertible rear suspension

Hey everyone! I put new heater levers in my 56 and have the unit back in. There are 3 wires, 2 brown and 1 gray.However, now I have no light or fan. Using my test light, I have power on the gray and 1 of the two brown. I have checked all fuses
    etc. Any help is appreciated... Thanks!!
    ronniep

Registered Member

Member #:625
    If I recall dash lights in 56 are gray and heater power wires are brown. The gray one should only have power when lights are on. The heater should have power to it with key in run position coming in and out if fan is switched on.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If I recall dash lights in 56 are gray and heater power wires are brown. The gray one should only have power when lights are on. The heater should have power to it with key in run position coming in and out if fan is switched on.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are right and I checked the power with the headlights on. I can't understand why I'm having this problem. The light and fan both worked before I took control panel out. It' strange I have power to one brown but not the other???

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Unplug both and jumper them together and fan should run.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Unplug both and jumper them together and fan should run.

Thanks Mark! I never thought to try that. That is a good idea.

Ronnie P.

Registered Member

Member #:2602

57 convertible rear suspension

Hi Laszlo
    I recall you saying that you have converted a convertible chassis to a c4.Do you recall whether it had coilovers or a transverse spring with shocks.I could go either way but can't decide which is best.The price of everything I purchase in America doubles buy the time It arrives in Australia.Its important I get it right .
    I have completed the fuel tank similar to yours Hereis a photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #:115
    Very nice work on the tank Mick!

I don't remember what the owner was planning for the convertible frame. We set up the suspensions so either coilovers or regular shocks can be used so we don't reallycare.

In the rear, coilovers don't buy you a whole lot over the stock spring with adjustable shocks. The main advantage to coilovers, imo, is the ease of changing spring rates and adjusting ride height. The stock rear spring setup makes it easy to change ride height, but the spring rates are limited to what GM offered or what's available aftermarket.

What is your real question? Not sure I understand what you want to know.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

57 rear suspension

Thanks for your reply
    I have recently contacted Newmans car creations to purchase a transverse Spring but they have not replied also Hyperco who wanted to know the weight over the front axle to supply a rear spring.the shock absorber is not a problem.I have researched the factory Spring rates but I don't understand how to work it out .The question is what to buy and from where or would it be possible to put me in contact with the owner of the convertible .Thanks
    Mick

Member #:115
    Hi Mick, I don't think the convertible is done but I can PM his contact info to you if you want. Are you missing the spring that came with your suspension? I have several rear springs available, but not sure how to ship. If you have an address in the states I would sell you one for $60 plus shipping which is what I usually get for them.

The springs are all designed to give you pretty much the same ride height. The difference is the spring rate, and to compensate they have a different arc to them, resulting in more or less preload. The lighter rate springs have more arc. All C4 REAR springs interchange. So all you need to do is decide whether you want a softer or stiffer spring, or something in the middle. I have a chart that shows the wheel rates of the springs, and that is what determines the ride quality, stiff or soft. Actually, since they all have the same geometry, the spring rate will give a relative ride quality as well.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

I have the spring that come with the suspension,but being a Dana 44 I thought it would have the stiffer Spring,I fitted the spring to the suspension and added weight to the rear of the car thinking that at some point the half shafts would be level .I allowed for two adults in the back a full tank of petrol the weight of the trunk and bumper and the convertible top.The half shafts were still way off level.If I it's ok I'd like to contact the owner of the convertible.Thanks for the offer of the springs I'm not sure which way to go .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast