Just joined? Please introduce yourself.

Thread: What kind of gas do I put into my '57 Chevy Bel Air

Registered Member

Member #:3097

Question What kind of gas do I put into my '57 Chevy Bel Air

Hi: I just joined this group. Why, you ask? Because I just purchased a 4dr, black, 8 cyl, 283pp, Bel Air (similar to my very first car). I live in Hilton Head, SC and had the car trailered here from FL. At some point soon I need to add gas and in looking around various on-line sites have seen different opinions about what to use. These range from: leaded=yes to unleaded OK; use Marine gas; use hi-octane and add a lead additive (not sure what kind/brand). I only intend to dry the car locally - no long trips at highway speed. Please LMK what kind of gas I should be getting. Thanks. Bob

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site!

If you use leaded gas on the highway you could get a $10,000 fine if you get caught. It's been outlawed for highway use for years and I think that applies to lead additives as well, but not substitutes without lead.

"In the U.S., where tetraethyllead had been blended with gasoline (primarily to boost octane levels) since the early 1920s, standards to phase out leaded gasoline were first implemented in 1973. In 1995, leaded fuel accounted for only 0.6% of total gasoline sales and less than 2,000 tons of lead per year. From January 1, 1996, the Clean Air Act banned the sale of leaded fuel for use in on-road vehicles. Possession and use of leaded gasoline in a regular on-road vehicle now carries a maximum US$10,000 fine in the United States. However, fuel containing lead may continue to be sold for off-road uses, including aircraft, racing cars, farm equipment, and marine engines. "

I don't know what guys are using to replace the lead these days, nor how well it works. You may end up having to have the heads reworked at some point to address the issue. In the meantime, you can use a lead SUBSTITUTE like this:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Red+Line+Oil/8...y7ThoCygHw_wcB
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Member #:615
    With my '57 with stock 283 I use regular unleaded. When leaded gas was no longer available I bought lead additive. However I talked to a lot of other people who had run unleaded with no problems, so I quit the additives. Engine was last overhauled in 1980 and still runs fine.