Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ain't much of a garage to brag about...

Member #:530
    Thanks Richard. I'm backed up on projects, so a 59 corvette is a distant dream at this point. Maybe someday...
    the other way is to find someone who has one, and is willing to part with it. Restomod style, etc. Know anyone?
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

The pics I tried to upload were 3.8 megs each. Too big. So I resized them. Here ya go...
    IMG_7689.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7691.jpeg

Registered Member

Member #:3682
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    Thanks Richard. I'm backed up on projects, so a 59 corvette is a distant dream at this point. Maybe someday...
    the other way is to find someone who has one, and is willing to part with it. Restomod style, etc. Know anyone?
    nice try, Paul (Lol). I don’t think Sue will be wanting to part with her’s for quite a while…

Member #:4767
    Hey; Bama what size pictures do you usually attach and upload everyone I try to post is always so darn big
    24 Year Army Vet ... Very Proud of It...

Thank You!
    William

Member #:3217
    There's two ways to 'measure' an image file: 1) one way is 'pixel count' or size... Horiz and Vert dimension in pixels. 640x480 (vga size) is good enough for display to a screen. 2) The second way of measuring 'size' has to do wtih the image FILE size (in bytes). This is the size on a disk drive. If you use JPEG compression the image size can be pretty large and still maintain an efficient File size. 200-300 Kbytes in file size for a JPEG compressed image is easily handled by most any website and doesn't take up too much space on your disk drive.

Suggest using an image file converter (such as 'Light Image Resizer') to reduce file sizes with compression and it also allows reduction of the image size to a manageable value for transmission and storage/display.

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg

I have been doing some sheetmetal work to the Nomad and struggling to get setup with the proper tools. I have had this 5 inch Craftsman vice for ages, but never had it mounted to anything that was solid. I also had this pedestal for ages, so I did some fab and welding work to make it so the vice would mount to it, then drilled and put inserts in the floor and mounted it down.

Finally, I can pound away and not move everything around. Ever pound on the vice when it's mounted to your workbench? Everything dances until it falls off!

Next up, the all the mods to the bead roller I have. Adding a motor, base, roller die storage, strengthening the jaws, etc.

Onward!

Member #:115
    Nice. Where did you get the cabinets?
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

the cabinets were free from a personal contact (friend of a family member) who works for the Irvine Company, and with all the tilt up buildings they own and lease, they are constantly moving out tenants. This came out of a commercial enterprise leasing one of those tilt up buildings, and "needed it gone". Uppers, lowers and countertops. (It's all just formica surfaces on particle board.)
    That's when I got the call and hauled arse with my box trailer to Irvine to pick them up.
    Last edited by WagonCrazy; 09-06-2023 at 09:43 PM.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonCrazy View Post
    the cabinets were free from a personal contact (friend of a family member) who works for the Irvine Company, and with all the tilt up buildings they own and lease, they are constantly moving out tenants. This came out of a commercial enterprise leasing one of those tilt up buildings, and "needed it gone". Uppers, lowers and countertops. (It's all just formica surfaces on particle board.)
    That's when I got the call and hauled arse with my box trailer to Irvine to pick them up.
    I was at a guy's shop last night and he has what looks like the exact same cabinets. His place is amazing.....he has a 40x60, 50x75, and what looked like about a 35x50 building all outfitted with lifts and nicely finished and lit inside. There were cars and frames in every bay that he was working on. He has five 69 Camaros including a numbers matching Z28, a 61 Impala convertible, two 57 HTs, a 56 HT, a 55 HT, a 58 wagon, and who knows what else. His place looks like an amusement park with stamped concrete walkways and porches on the buildings. He said he retired from the concrete business at 42 and he's been building cars since then. Had a great time visiting.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

That guy hit the jackpot in life...he's living long enough to enjoy his hard labor in the concrete business...and now playing with cars. I envy that guy.

Back to my hidey hole...

I have a chinese made bead roller that used a single mechanical handle to turn and it was a PITA to use. Can't be on both sides of it to turn and also feed the sheetmetal thru.
    So I got online and watched a dozen or so youtube videos on how to motorize it, and looked at many motor setups.
    Eventually settled on an old garage door opener (which i bought locally for 20 bucks) and retrofitted this thing with a foot switch so I can use it "one handed" now.
    I will start to bend up some interior pieces for my Nomad build soon.
    Maybe shoot a short video of it working and post it up here too.

Most times, I seem to never have the right tools to get something accomplished with any degree of nicety, but on this one...I have about $200 total into it...including a new set of dies I recently bought for bending radius curves in sheetmetal (thanks to the suggestion by McCarthy)

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast