Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Straight Scoop on Disc Brakes

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I see from this chart a couple Corvette wheel options with the +56 mm offset you said fit well 17x8.5 56mm front 97-04 vette, and 18 x 8.5 56 mm front 97 to 13 vette. http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/
    Either of those should give you plenty of clearance as you would gain 1/2" of clearance inside and out. If you want the wheels more to the outside you could add spacers. Probably up to 1/4" without changing the wheel studs. I would put in longer wheel studs to use any more of a spacer than that.
    Brian

Thanks, that's good to know C55 that a 275 can fit. It should be an doable fit with a 255/45-18 which is an inch narrower, and 1.5 inches taller on a 8.5 wheel, which I think would be a good combo with lots of sticky tire choices. The 5 spoke 16's you have on do look better though, which might be close to some front C5 5 spoke front 17's.
    I'm not crazy about the way either of the wheels look on my car. I want to get a set of custom wheels that are more of a traditional style at some point but that's just not in the budget right now. The tires on the 5 spoke wheels are just about slicks at this point and I didn't want to spend the money on new tires for those as they are to narrow (8" with 55 mm offset) and don't fill the wheel openings very well due to the width combined with the offset. I decided to use the Corvette wheels since I have an extra set of 4 of those (and know they will work after borrowing them off my wife's 90 Vette) with 2 of them needing refurbishing which cost just under $300. for the pair. Discount tire had a Presidents day promotion so the set was $445. after a couple of rebates so I'll have $525 in tires and $300. in wheels once I get them all mounted on the car. I figure the Corvette wheels will be easier to sell also once I save the money for custom wheels.
    Brian

Banned

Member #:2775
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer55 View Post
    I'm not crazy about the way either of the wheels look on my car. I want to get a set of custom wheels that are more of a traditional style at some point but that's just not in the budget right now. The tires on the 5 spoke wheels are just about slicks at this point and I didn't want to spend the money on new tires for those as they are to narrow (8" with 55 mm offset) and don't fill the wheel openings very well due to the width combined with the offset. I decided to use the Corvette wheels since I have an extra set of 4 of those (and know they will work after borrowing them off my wife's 90 Vette) with 2 of them needing refurbishing which cost just under $300. for the pair. Discount tire had a Presidents day promotion so the set was $445. after a couple of rebates so I'll have $525 in tires and $300. in wheels once I get them all mounted on the car. I figure the Corvette wheels will be easier to sell also once I save the money for custom wheels.
    Brian
    I'll have the same problem when I get to that point of using cheap vette wheels for trial fitting to come up with the right combination. Most modern wheel designs just don't look right on old cars, and it always seems like when you find one you like it's a forged wheel for $1200 each. Needing a high positive offset doesn't help either. I'm going to try and come up with something from American Racing's custom shop that will work, like these.
    http://www.wheelpros.com/wheel/25671...torq-thrust-sl
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-07-2017 at 03:22 PM.

I'll have the same problem when I get to that point of using cheap vette wheels for trial fitting to come up with the right combination. Most modern wheel designs just don't look right on old cars, and it always seems like when you find one you like it's a forged wheel for $1200 each. Needing a high positive offset doesn't help either. I'm going to try and come up with something from American Racing's custom shop that will work, like these.
    http://www.wheelpros.com/wheel/25671...torq-thrust-sl
    Those would look nice, and the available offsets would work well. Price is comparable to custom Budnik wheels. https://www.budnik.com/ When I talked to Rick from RR Frames at Back the 50's last year he said those run about $1,800. and up per set of 4.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    A prime example of chevelle disc with a 255/50/17 tire. One of the best looking nomads I've ever seen. Yes his tires rubbed lol. So did the 295/40/18 in back.

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 03-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    A prime example of chevelle disc with a 255/50/17 tire. One of the best looking nomads I've ever seen. Yes his tires rubbed lol. So did the 295/40/18 in back.

As much as I dislike big wheels Rocky you are right about this car.

Member #:3217
    that IS a great looking '55 Nomad.. so how does he correct the rubbing issue? OR better yet, how do we avoid the rubbing and still clear big brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNomad View Post
    that IS a great looking '55 Nomad.. so how does he correct the rubbing issue? OR better yet, how do we avoid the rubbing and still clear big brakes?
    Run smaller tire wheel as noted or another brake that don't push wheels out or live with some rubbing you decide. Or huge offset wheels that look like this. All are ok.....

Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 03-23-2017 at 06:50 PM.

RD will appreciate this. Same nomad as it looked when he purchased it a few weeks ago. Only added new tires and wheels and put lowering blocks in rear leafs in pictures above. I think this one might have had 10 inch wide wheels in front lol.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    RD will appreciate this. Same nomad as it looked when he purchased it a few weeks ago. Only added new tires and wheels and put lowering blocks in rear leafs in pictures above. I think this one might have had 10 inch wide wheels in front lol.
    -
    Stance does not really bother me as much as those homely wheels. They are ugly and I don't care what diameter they are in.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456