Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member building a wagon.

Registered Member

Member #:3018

New member building a wagon.

Hey, my name is Wes out of Nashville, TN and I'm relatively new to the site. I've been lurking around and reading a lot of the threads around here trying to learn from others and get ideas for my new build. Figured it was about time to introduce myself. This will be my very first build, my intention is to build a quality driver I can road trip anywhere. I've been working on cars for myself and friends since I was a teenager and Ive always wanted to build a hot rod, figured I better get started now that I'm in my 30's.

I found the car in Alabama after an unsuccessful six month search for a reasonably priced nomad. It's a 1956 Pontiac Safari, and has some carryover from the nomad. So, my next question is will I be allowed to post here? There's quite a few smart guys who are doing great work here and I would love to get some help / advice along the way. Also, because of the lack of re popped parts for Pontiacs, I will be moving this body over to a 1955 sedan chassis, installing a goldenstar tri five sedan/wagon floor and putting in a C4 Corvette suspension underneath. Anyhow, on to the photos.

The day I hauled it home, back in May 2016. 1 day before I hit the road for 3 months for work. ( I have all the stainless trim and bumpers are inside the car)

After getting it off the trailer I just had to see what it was going to look like with the BBS wheels I'm planning to use.

After a lengthy debate about how I was going to fix the floor pans, I realized that swapping over to a tri five frame will solve many of my issues for sheet metal as well as allowing me to easily install the C4 suspension. I reached out to Laszlo and he is getting me set up with a IRS install kit, thank you sir. I found a frame locally for $400, its in decent shape. I wish it was seamless but I couldn't find one, and I'm impatient and ready to get moving.

Getting it all laid out in the shop

I haven't really done much work to it yet, I've mostly just put shiny parts next to the rust bucket so I can ooh and ahhh over it. I've got it about halfway stripped at this point. I keep traveling for work, but hopefully I'll be home most of February so I can finish stripping it and get started on the floors. Anyhow, I'd love to find a home around here to start a build thread and get advice. Let me know what you all think / where I should post. Thanks,

Wes

Member #:530
    Oh man thats a nice project you got yourself there. I like your direction so far. I have a C4 frame under my 57 Nomad and at the rate your going with yours...you may be done sooner!

I would encourage you to post up your project status in the Member Project Updates subforum. That way you can post kind of a running status update.
    When you get stuck on something, posting the specific question in either the Modified-Pro-Street-SuperStock or Nomad subforums might also get you answers.
    And there are other subtopic forums to use too...

But generally speaking, posting your progress in the Member Project Update subforum will help everyone track your progress.

Nice project! Safari's are cool.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Member #:1608
    Welcome to the site

Member #:115
    Welcome to the site Wes!
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Registered Member

Member #:571
    Welcome, the Safari is a neat car.

How are you going to deal with the difference in wheelbase? The Pontiac is about 6" more than a Chevy if I recall correctly. A neat way to do it would be to leave the Chevy frame at its original wheelbase and use Canadian Pontiac front sheet metal. (Canadian Pontiacs used a Chevy frame and drivetrain and Chevy wheel base. The front sheet metal looks the same as a US Pontiac, it's just shorter.)

Registered Member

Member #:2579
    That's gonna make a sweet ride. I like where you're headed with it.

Member #:3
    Hello Wes

That's going to be a Bitching Ride when your done!
    Thanks for stopping in and sharing pictures

Safari's are rarer than nomads

Year Nomad Custom Safari
    1955 8,530 3,760
    1956 7,886 4,042
    1957 6,103 1,292 (2-door)
    1,894 (4-door Transcontinental)
    Total 22,375 10,988

1955 2 DR Post
    1937 Chevy Coupe
    2023 Ford Super Duty F350 TREMOR
    2019 Corvette Z06
    1955 Chevy Nomad
    1935 Ford 2dr Slant back I have 4

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Way cool Wes!!! I am building a 55 nomad. I saw a really cool safari @ good guys a few months back it was all original patina on air ride with huge white walls very cool ride indeed. What stood out is the safari has a dip in the qtr panel like a hardtop or sedan pretty cool feature looking fwd to your build.
    Rocky

Registered Member

Member #:571
    rocky, never noticed the belt line dip on the Safari previously. You can see it in Wes' photos. In a way it looks like a wart because the window and trim doesn't have the dip. But I googled for some images and it looks like the dip was accented in 2 tone color packages - looks good that way.

Learn some more little details every day.

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Rick I never noticed the fenders are longer either lol until you pointed it out. But looking at door and fender wheel opening it appears to be longer than my chevy nomad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast