Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade questions

Registered Member rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017's Avatar

Member #:1884
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    Call me a skeptic but I'm not convinced the disc brake kits that use the stock spindle are truly "zero offset". I've never seen anyone actually measure them to prove the manufacturers claims. I'd like to see a measurement from the wheel mounting surface to the upper balljoint center before and after installing the kit. It's possible that the hub is zero offset when compared to the hub/drum of a stock car, but you have the thickness of the rotors which is typically around 5/16" or so. That increases the wheel mounting surface by 5/8".

Notice the rotors in that ebay kit appear to have an internal drum e-brake surface. I wonder what they're off. It looks like they're using the bigger late 60's Chevy calipers. And he has a RH caliper mounted on the left side . By the way, the kit is from MBM and the brackets are available separately if one was inclined to assemble his own setup.

Has anyone actually measured these "zero offset" kits? I know the late 60's Chevelle rotors/hubs move the wheels out 7/8" PER SIDE for a total increase in wheel mounting surface width of 1 3/4". That can be a problem if you use wider tires and don't correct the offset with different wheels and I wouldn't recommend using any kits that use those hubs.
    I posted this prior in my build thread but CPP is a true zero offset according to their tech REP. Now I have only mounted the kit on a drum hub during mockup. If it used the stock hub it would be pushed out by 1/8 each side due to the difference between drum and rotor thickness. I call and talked to the tech Rep to discuss this because I am very close on the inside with my setup. I ask him if this is the case. He verbally said no our hub is machined down to account for the difference between the drum and rotor and it is a true zero offset. There is a current post on other site the guy has a write up about his install using the Ebay version mentioned above installed on a 57. He claims it is zero offset. If it isn't it not going to push the wheels out anymore than 1/8 per side.

FYI willwood stock spindle brake kit pushes the wheels out .2 per side according to them.

Zero offset brakes kits fit stock spindles drop are not necessary to have zero offset kit.

Rocky
    Last edited by rockytopper R.I.P 5-13-2017; 01-17-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Registered Member

Member #:571
    CPP probably said their pitman arm wouldn't fail either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_L View Post
    CPP probably said their pitman arm wouldn't fail either.
    If you wish to throw them under the bus Rick we might as well started pulling out all the 500 gear boxes folks rave about as well....

Registered Member

Member #:2171
    I have the full size hubs with the Trans am rear rotors and Rick is correct in that the difference is the thickness of the drum vs rotor.

Member #:115
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    There is a current post on other site the guy has a write up about his install using the Ebay version mentioned above installed on a 57. He claims it is zero offset.
    He said it doesn't look like it pushed the wheels out any based on looking at his tires. He said they were "about 3" from the fender" before an after. I'll bet he couldn't see a difference of 1/4" unless he measured it. I see no actual measurements quoted.

If it isn't it not going to push the wheels out anymore than 1/8 per side.
    That's not "zero" so they shouldn't claim it is. 0.0000" is ZERO.
    56 Nomad, Ramjet 502, Viper 6-speed T56, C4 Corvette front and rear suspension

Other vehicles:

56 Chevy 2-door BelAir sedan
    56 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    57 Chevy 210 4-door sedan
    1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S
    2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax

Guys 1/8 inch is probably a closer tolerance range than the trifive was designed and built with 60 years plus ago. So zero with a plus minus tolerance of 1/8 or greater still equals zero LOL. At least that is how the lawyers that work for our firm would present it. Another words it is close enough for government work lol......

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
    Guys 1/8 inch is probably a closer tolerance range than the trifive was designed and built with 60 years plus ago. So zero with a plus minus tolerance of 1/8 or greater still equals zero LOL. At least that is how the lawyers that work for our firm would present it. Another words it is close enough for government work lol......
    But 1/8" matters to a guy whose tire is 1/8" from the fender before the modification. It's not hard to measure the actual offset accurately, and imo they should.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Member #:3217
    Quote Originally Posted by chevynut View Post
    But 1/8" matters to a guy whose tire is 1/8" from the fender before the modification. It's not hard to measure the actual offset accurately, and imo they should.
    The poster on the 'other forum', did measure using a tape measure from the tire to a plumbed level dropped from the fender lip. He did this with the stock drum system and again iwth the updated disk system using the same wheel/tire and measure ~3 inches. I also agree with Rocky that a 1/8" precision is about as good as it's going to get with these vehicles.. (there can be more variation than that from one car coming off the factory line to the next). Of course precision measures of the actual mechanical parts differences can result in closer values of the change (as Rick points out)...

Registered Member

Member #:2635
    So are drop spindles not the way to go? i do like the idea of lowering the front end a bit but would my tires be more likely to rub?

Bamanomad, my point was that if a guy had 1/8" clearance between his tire and fender, and he bought a kit that was supposed to be "zero offset", he wouldn't expect the tire to rub. If it did, would that be acceptable? I think not.

You guys keep talking about these vehicles not having 1/8" precision...that may be true, but that's not the point. You can measure the brake offset much closer than that. So they should imo and not advertize it as "zero offset" if it's not. Measuring from the spindle somewhere to get the actual offset isn't that hard. If everything you bought for these cars had +/-1/8" tolerance it would be crap.

If my frames were +/- 1/8" for wheelbase, centering of suspensions, or axle squareness in the frame, I would think it would be unacceptable. We keep our tolerances to +/- 1/16" or less for just about everything we do on them. If we're more than 1/2 of a string-width off-center we fix it.

A guy with 3" of clearance between tire and fender doesn't care about wheel offset. Some guys might.

Other vehicles:

1962 327/340HP Corvette
    1961 Willys CJ3B Jeep
    2001 Porsche Boxster S

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast