Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Favorite Easy Shop Tips!

Banned

Member #:2775
    I think she is a black lab, basset hound mix, which would be a Bassador. I got her as a rescue dog right after I got my 55.
    IMG_1372.JPG

Registered Member

Member #:625
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    I think she is a black lab, basset hound mix, which would be a Bassador. I got her as a rescue dog right after I got my 55.
    IMG_1372.JPG
    No argument from me.

Member #:1723
    Your dog looks like she approves of the additional clearance!

Member #:3217
    RD's dog could clear a low-rider I think...

Member #:2442
    Quote Originally Posted by 55 Rescue Dog View Post
    IMG_1372.JPG
    Cute dog!! Looks almost like a Dachshund with a Lab head.

Banned

While mocking up the mounting plate for my Wilwood brake pedal, I needed to come up with a way to bolt it in by myself, without a helper to hold a wrench since I can't reach both sides of the firewall. I've already had to put it in, and take it out many times so far, and figured out I could tighten a nut from one side by using long set-screws for studs. I put a nut on one end of the screw and stick it through the hole, and on the other side, slip a nut and washer over an allen wrench to hold it in place, and tighten up the nut. I also use set screws for hanging the upper corner of the fenders, and installing the hood by myself. IMG_8784.JPGIMG_8787.JPGIMG_8803.JPGOnce everything is where it needs to be, I can remove the studs one at a time, and replace with a bolt.

Hi 55 Rescue Dog,
    Thanks for the tip, I will have to remember that! I too am forced to figure out ways to do tasks by my lonesome; necessity is the mother of invention, I have heard.
    Thanks, Doug

Banned

It's always been a struggle to find a good light when working under the dash, or under the car. Hated my 500 watt halogen that melted my new 50 foot air hose in the middle, and lots of other stuff it could set on fire. Came up with this simple outdoor plastic flood light holder, and a 90 watt LED flood that won't melt anything. I use it all of the time now.
    IMG_8872.JPG

Strong Hands for Old Guy

I was installing a cell signal booster in my shop, and needed to crimp a lug on a grounding wire. I got all set with my ratcheting crimper, but found with my old arthritic hands, I couldn't get the crimp as tight as it should be:

I thought one of my clamps might be an aid, so used this clamp (see below) to easily complete the crimp. The grooves in the clamp faces made it easy to register and tighten the clamp on the crimper handles.

A force multiplier!

Banned

I really didn't want to share this idea because I was planning on making a bunch and selling them but figured it wouldn't go far from here. Sold 3 to the first body shop I showed it to. By necessity, I came up with a much better/cheaper hands-free copper MIG welding backer than anything else on the market. I had to weld up 32 trim holes on my front fenders and some others. Uses a very strong neodymium shielded cup magnet, and the rest is all made from copper that helps pull the heat right out of the weld zone. The whole thing is hot after one spot weld. It is adjustable for different angles, and with a bigger copper cap it can back up longer gaps. It works perfect.
    IMG_7810.JPGIMG_7787.JPG
    Last edited by 55 Rescue Dog; 03-29-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast