Just joined? Please introduce yourself.
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Nomad project... :)

Member #:3217
    I appreciate the comments Doug! and Thanks for the note about sedans being different than wagons...

Member #:530
    Same grommet on my Nomad. I just left it there tucked inside behind the taillight. It doesnt fit anything
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Sheet 21 of section 12 in the Assembly Manual shows all the '57 models being the same there in the tail light area,

For all passenger cars in '57, the tail light harness just feeds thru that hole... no grommet...but apparently non-wagons have holes thru the body into the trunk area where the grommet should be used?

It does make me curious if that grommet (with the nipple) 'might' fit in the hole thru the cargo floor where the rear wiring goes thru? It's not the same as the original grommet for the purpose, but it might be for the same diameter hole.
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 10-23-2021 at 06:10 AM.

I thought I had posted the assembled photos of my tail light assemblies, and their mounting, but it seems I haven't.. I used original tail light housings I'd had rechromed at Lemon Grove Plating around 1991 (they needed to be used), along with NOS lens, gaskets, and new bulbs, splash shields, and wiring pigtails to assemble. Here are the assembled and mounted tail light assemblies:

IMG_0551 (Copy).jpg IMG_0553 (Copy).jpg IMG_0554.jpg

I have spent more time looking for parts I know I have, but didn't find my license plate lights until today so I completed the assembly of my rear bumper. I still need to find the rear body to bumper seal (I know I have one) before I can mount it.

I had an issue with the rechromed bumper guards that came with the car when I purchased the 'kit'. When I was checking the nuts/bolts required, I found out that the welded nut on the upper side of each bumper guard was wallowed out... too large for the bolt. My first thought was to install helicoils, so I ordered the 1/2"x13 heli coil kit, but when I attempted to drill out the nut to the required 17/32 size (for the helicoil tap), half the nut fell out. So after some thought, I knocked the remainder of the nut out and then 'cemented' a new nut behind the guard... (same thing happened to the other guard as well). Here is the assembled bumper with guards ready to install (once I find my seal, or receive the replacement I have ordered). Good thing I have two '57 Nomads so I have a use for all the double ordered parts...

IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BamaNomad; 11-04-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Registered Member

Member #:625
    I really like that color. I too suffer from the double ordered parts syndrome. Its a side effect to the prevously mentioned CRS.

I've had my assembled rear bumper ready to install for 2 or 3 weeks (time keeps slipping by), and finally received the rear body to bumper seal and installed it a few days ago. Since then my rear bumper has been ready to mount; I just need a friend (ANY friend) to stop by and help me LIFT this heavy piece and bolt it on without scraping paint off the body! I know I'm getting weaker with old age, but man these bumpers sure seem heavier than they did the last time I handled one..

Ready to mount.jpg

Ohhh... and while I've been waiting for parts, I took the time to re-wrap the remaining 'lemon Grove rechrome items' (and a few NOS items) that have been on top of my pool table for (cough .. over 7 yrs) and boxed them up for toting to the garage where I'm assembling the red '57 Nomad. Over the past months, I've begun pulling off the parts I needed, but it's just been TOO LONG since I saw my pool table...

From late March 2014 (When I was working on my turquoise '57 Nomad)...

rechrome parts (Copy).JPG

And from Wednesday after sorting, re-wrapping, and boxing these parts.. (Hey! I can see my pool table again)..

cleared pool table.jpg

Of course I've lots of other parts (for '69 Camaro Z28, '72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, etc) stored in this room right now which also needs to be 'moved' to make this into a 'Billiards room' again..

Registered Member

Member #:625
    According to Jed Clampet that is a fancy eatin room.

Member #:1723
    Nice to see the pool table emerge! Time to rack 'em up again!

Member #:530
    Lookin' good Bama. I'd come over and help you if I wasn't 1500 miles from you.
    1957 Nomad- LS1/T56 on C4 chassis
    1959 Fleetside Apache 1/2 ton, shortbed, big window, 327ci.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast